• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
8/21 Severe Threat - Obs/Discussion

Kmlwx

Inflow of scud? I'd be easier to see if it was on a tripod.

I'm sorry it was an Iphone camera and the resolution is horrible. Inflow of scud? Mind explaining to me what that is? I'm not really all that knowledgable on severewx at the moment. All I can say is that to the naked eye it was much more distinct and seemed to have rotation to it as the clouds deck behind was rotating SE (you can see it if you look carefully), and the whole complex just took off to the NE, the storm was to the NNW.

Thanks for the explanation

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

406 PM EDT SUN AUG 21 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

SOUTHERN ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...

CENTRAL PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...

NORTHWESTERN CALVERT COUNTY IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND...

* UNTIL 445 PM EDT

* AT 405 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF

QUARTERS AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS

LOCATED NEAR UPPER MARLBORO...AND MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

DUNKIRK...

SHADY SIDE...

NORTH BEACH...

CHESAPEAKE BEACH...

I'm sorry it was an Iphone camera and the resolution is horrible. Inflow of scud? Mind explaining to me what that is? I'm not really all that knowledgable on severewx at the moment. All I can say is that to the naked eye it was much more distinct and seemed to have rotation to it as the clouds deck behind was rotating SE (you can see it if you look carefully), and the whole complex just took off to the NE, the storm was to the NNW.

Thanks for the explanation

Scud is clouds nearer to the ground that aren't actually associated with the movement of the storm. They are good indicators of winds at their height though, which can lead to clues about things like where the main updraft column is. This is probably what you saw, the scud cloud being sucked into the updraft of the storm. It can sometimes rotate slowly and with today's wind fields I wouldn't be surprised if it did. All in all, what you saw was the base of the updraft into the storm..

Scud is clouds nearer to the ground that aren't actually associated with the movement of the storm. They are good indicators of winds at their height though, which can lead to clues about things like where the main updraft column is. This is probally what you saw, the scud cloud being sucked into the updraft of the storm. It can sometimes rotate slowly and with today's wind fields I wouldn't be surprised if it did. All in all, what you saw was the base of the updraft into the storm..

Thanks man, appriciate it & I'll know what it is next time I see it. The direction it was moving just caught me off guard as I'm used to seeing scud in the outflow of a storm.

I live in Kensington Right behind White flint....U in Glen Echo?

Yeah Glen Echo usually, but I'm in Cabin John Today helping my old nieghbor (used to live in this 'hood with my mother a few yrs ago before buying a house down in G.E.). White flint in to the NE of here I think? What was the direction of the wind out there? You'd be on the backside of the apparent Scud-Inflow Cloud I saw, had a very light S/SE wind here during the time.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

448 PM EDT SUN AUG 21 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

SOUTHERN ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...

SOUTHEASTERN PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...

NORTHWESTERN CALVERT COUNTY IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND...

* UNTIL 530 PM EDT

* AT 444 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF

QUARTERS AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS

LOCATED 8 MILES WEST OF BREEZY POINT...AND MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

BREEZY POINT...

CHESAPEAKE BEACH...

NORTH BEACH...

PLUM POINT...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

445 PM EDT SUN AUG 21 2011

AS OF 4:40PM...THE ROUND OF THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH PRE-

FRONTAL TROUGH ARE WORKING THROUGH CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MARYLAND

AND THE SURROUNDING WATERS. A SECOND ROUND OF POTENTIALLY SEVERE

WEATHER WILL ENTER THE REGION THIS EVENING AHEAD OF THE ACTUAL

COLD FRONT WHICH IS OVER THE OHIO VALLEY. BETWEEN THE TWO

ROUNDS...EXPECT MOSTLY TRANQUIL WEATHER WITH LATE DAY HEATING.

TEMPERATURES HAVE REBOUNDED INTO THE MID 80S BEHIND THE FIRST

LINE...SO THERE SHOULD BE ENOUGH ENERY FOR STRONG STORMS...WITH

PERHAPS ISOLATED SEVERE. THEREFORE...STAND BY REGARDING THE WATCH

THAT CURRENTLY GOES UNTIL 8PM.

if the next batch was sooner i might be more gung ho. conditions are actually becoming more favorable for tornadoes but im just not sure i believe in late evening / night severe.

You better start believing! :P - Are conditions really becoming more favorable for tor around here? I was under the impression farther north was getting that.

You better start believing! :P - Are conditions really becoming more favorable for tor around here? I was under the impression farther north was getting that.

they are better up north as a whole and the timing is probably better there too.

Lets give LWX a chance, they've been pretty darn good today, lets see if they can hit a home run on this next one! Lol

I side with the NWS 98% of the time and there was a decent threat as of this morning. BUT, their "PDS" crap as the storms were already ongoing and clearly heading linear/not terribly threatening was silly. It might have just been a mistake, not meant as it sounded, or because it's a weekend, but it hit the airwaves within seconds. We've had less reports today so far than on days with no watch (as in a few days ago).

I side with the NWS 98% of the time and there was a decent threat as of this morning. BUT, their "PDS" crap as the storms were already ongoing and clearly heading linear/not terribly threatening was silly. It might have just been a mistake, not meant as it sounded, or because it's a weekend, but it hit the airwaves within seconds. We've had less reports today so far than on days with no watch (as in a few days ago).

Yea not too sure all that was necessary, however they've been on so far, was pretty serious here earlier but wasn't super widespread. Anyways, think we got a shot at storms in a bit, you're right about parameters actually height favorable, and decent recovery here. Lets just see if LWX verifies their gung ho call for another severe round.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC 704 PM EDT SUN AUG 21 2011

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 794 HAS BEEN CANCELLED FOR THE ENTIRE LWX CWA. THE PREFRONTAL TROUGH ACTIVITY IS CLEARING THE SRN PORTION OF THE MD BAY ATTM. CONCERN OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM THE COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE HAS DECREASED DUE TO WLY LOW LEVEL FLOW...THE SWATH OF MID LEVEL STRATUS SWEEPING ACROSS THE NWRN SECTIONS OF THE CWA... AND THAT SUNSET IS QUICK APPROACHING. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS...WITH ISOLATED STRONG /EVEN SEVERE WHICH CANNOT BE COMPLETELY RULED OUT/ STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO MOVE ACROSS THE CWA THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS.

PLEASE DISREGARD THE SPSLWX IN EFFECT UNTIL 9PM ACROSS THE EASTERN 2/3 OF THE LWX CWA FROM HERE ON OUT.

Archived