• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
8/21 Severe Threat - Obs/Discussion

Kmlwx

We are near the edge of the slight risk for tomorrow but the SPC discussion is quite robust. I've included both parts of the discussion below.

...ERN NY/PA...MD/DE/NJ INTO SRN ME...

SHOWERS AND STORMS WILL BE ONGOING ALONG THE COLD FRONT EARLY IN THE

DAY ACROSS WRN NY/PA. AS THE ATMOSPHERE DESTABILIZES ACROSS THE WARM

SECTOR...ACTIVITY ALONG THE FRONT SHOULD REJUVENATE AND BECOME

SEVERE BY AFTERNOON. FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOW VERY FAVORABLE DEEP

LAYER SHEAR PROFILES FOR SEVERE...INCLUDING DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE

HAIL. WHILE FORCING WILL BE LINEAR ALONG THE FRONT...SHEAR PROFILE

ORIENTATION SUGGESTS THAT SUPERCELLS WILL BE LIKELY...PERHAPS SOME

SPLITTING GIVEN ONLY MODEST LOW LEVEL HODOGRAPH CURVATURE. MESOSCALE

DETAILS WILL DETERMINE TORNADO THREAT...WHICH MAY BE LOCALLY

ENHANCED ALONG THE RESIDUAL WARM FRONT WITH LOCALLY BACKED SURFACE

WINDS. HOWEVER...THE PRIMARY THREAT WILL BE HAIL AND WIND.

...MID ATLANTIC REGION WWD INTO THE TN VALLEY...

WIND FIELDS WILL NOT BE AS STRONG AS POINTS N...BUT NWLY DEEP LAYER

FLOW ON THE ORDER OF 20-30 KT WILL STRETCH WWD INTO THE OH VALLEY

ALONG THE BASE OF THE UPPER TROUGH. HERE..STRONG DAYTIME HEATING

WILL LEAD TO STEEP LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES. MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL AND

WIND GUSTS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS A LARGE AREA MAINLY DURING THE

AFTERNOON.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lapse rates up to about 650mb on both models... good ML/UL winds (though LL winds suffer a bit). Models having some problems with the details of the jet streak(s) in the area. I think Sunday warrants a full write-up... will get that done later today.

Don't put a curse on us! ;) - Just predict nothing so we get something.

It seems like the best threat might be up north right?

Don't put a curse on us! ;) - Just predict nothing so we get something.

It seems like the best threat might be up north right?

Right now it looks like the best potential is in the NE PA / N NJ / SE NY (yet again), but there's a lot of mesoscale messiness with this system, so it's a bit difficult to say anything with confidence.

It's kinda sad that we have been doing so much better with pulsers vs. organized storms this year... it's nearly impossible to chase pulsers.

Discussion:

I'm not particularly thrilled with the setup locally, though it does raise an eyebrow. Most of the concern comes with how the mesoscale features pan out, which the models have had a hard time dealing with since the upper-level energy isn't that organized. The complicated and convoluted upper-levels, along with weak low-level winds, has been our biggest downfall this summer. Stronger, more highly concentrated features would help improve not only lift but the mid-level lapse rates as well, which is another key to getting well-organized and sustained storms (at least in our region).

Tomorrow looks a bit better than previous setups this summer (mostly due to the better looking lapse rates and possibility of a low-level "jet") as a cold front and upper-level jet streak move into the region. Lapse rates are good up to 650mb, but the 650mb-300mb lapse rates are fairly poor. A low-level jet could develop tomorrow across the eastern parts of the region, which would help boost storm formation and organization. Another issue is timing, with the storms expected to form before peak heating in most of the region. Pre-frontal rain/clouds are also a concern, thought not so much as they have been in previous setups.

Chase-wise, I would pick eastern PA/NJ or even the Delmarva Peninsula as possible targets unless good storms can get going early in MD/NoVA/central PA. I may have to sit this one out as I am working the overnight tonight, and sleep will weigh into the decision.

The wrf-arw looks sweet

I'm going to use my weenie post of the day and say that those look like individual supercells merging into a line. I'm going to have to agree with Ian here and say that we are all going to die. Those of us that aren't done in by the storms tomorrow will be done in by the Irene mega outbreak we will endure.

3-6 DC proper IMO

Agree - just speaking to include our far west folks as well you IMBY poster :P

Also - updated mid evening discussion from LWX

OTW...BUMPED UP POPS A BIT /PARTICULARLY ACROSS NRN SECTIONS OF THE

CWA FOR SUNDAY LATE MORNING THROUGH THE AFTERNOON/ GIVEN 18Z

GUIDANCE MAINTAINING THE POTENTIAL FOR A GOOD WIDESPREAD

THUNDERSTORM EVENT. MAX POPS KEPT IN THE LIKELY RANGE GIVEN

DISCRETE CONVECTIVE MODE GIVEN STRAIGHT LINE HODOGRAPH ABOVE 1KM.

70 POPS WERE GIVEN FOR BALT-WASH METRO CONSIDERING LATE AFTERNOON

TIMING AND EXPECTED PRESENCE OF MESOSCALE BOUNDARIES THAT WOULD

INCREASE COVERAGE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

My copy paste skills are filling in for Yoda since he is active over in the tropical threads. :lol:

I'm going to use my weenie post of the day and say that those look like individual supercells merging into a line. I'm going to have to agree with Ian here and say that we are all going to die. Those of us that aren't done in by the storms tomorrow will be done in by the Irene mega outbreak we will endure.

Death is good when it's from killer storms

Archived