• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Irene - potential impacts to the region

SACRUS

this is a good steering flow for tropical storm impacts in the eastern us after landfall. regardless of the exact track in the carribbean, the storm should turn north and then northeast as it pushes through the break in the mid level ridge and then encounters the troughiness that's been present over the eastern us. it's interesting to see the models fluctuating with the break in the mid level ridge around 25-30 N. this feature is going to become critically important over the next several days. there will likely be island impacts with this system in the next few days..but assuming the gfs position is reasonably correct..the storm is headed northwest towards the far east/southeast gulf and eventually near florida..before turning north and then northeast over the conus. still a whole lot of time with this one...and plenty of questions still left to be answered.

post-6-0-69431400-1313884537.png

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well tonights 0z GFS has Irene striking Miami and heading up the east coast, we get drenched.

there is fairly good consistency now on the GFS with a track very close to our region. On some runs we have gotten over 10".

Even so wouldn't be suprised to see the track shift westward again, and some runs keep the system over land for a very long time before it gets to us. If it manages to miss FL and makes landfall in the Carolinas the affects would be much greater.

Today's 12z EC slams a 968 into GA and the system gets hung up over GA for about 48 hours before passing to our south at 1006, which would be basically be very little for us I would assume.

Well tonights 0z GFS has Irene striking Miami and heading up the east coast, we get drenched.

What I don't understand is why on seemingly every run of the GFS the storm has a convective blow up at hr 192. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence that this is the last frame prior to truncation or what. Maybe a met could explain what's going on there.

0Z and 6Z GFS trending east - staying offshore of FLA and landfall north GA coastline and then riding up the coastal plain to New England.

This has the potential to be a serious flooding threat both inland and along the coast later next weekend into Monday 8/29 to Tuesday 8/30 around NYC Metro considering all the heavy rain we have had the last 2 weeks.

Also have to research monthly rainfall records being broken in the area for August and all time if this verifies ................

Biggest threat from Irene, by far, would be the flood potential in our area. In the last two weeks parts of NJ and NYC have been running 400%+ of normal.

post-28-0-39359900-1313953184.jpg

If we received a deluge from a tropical system it would certainly break records for August precipitation and would be a huge flood threat which will need to be watched.

Biggest threat from Irene, by far, would be the flood potential in our area. In the last two weeks parts of NJ and NYC have been running 400%+ of normal.

post-28-0-39359900-1313953184.jpg

If we received a deluge from a tropical system it would certainly break records for August precipitation and would be a huge flood threat which will need to be watched.

Im not really sure where or to who to even ask thisquestion....lol. But maybe you jake could point me in the right direction if youve ever heard about this.

Do water companies employ mets, similar to energy met types? I mean, do they start thinking about maybe evacuating some water out of our reservoirs a few days before something like this? All my years dealing with these issues as a fireman, i never really thought to ask.

Im not really sure where or to who to even ask thisquestion....lol. But maybe you jake could point me in the right direction if youve ever heard about this.

Do water companies employ mets, similar to energy met types? I mean, do they start thinking about maybe evacuating some water out of our reservoirs a few days before something like this? All my years dealing with these issues as a fireman, i never really thought to ask.

Hm, that's a good question. I haven't a clue for an answer though, sorry. :lol: Obviously reservoir levels depend very highly on precipitation amounts but afaik a lot of that stuff goes the drought route (not sure about the opposite problem?) through the DEP and probably NWS. #assuming

Very true depending on how things pan out could be looking at a floyd/tax day noreaster scenario.

Archived