• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Irene - potential impacts to the region

SACRUS

Thought it would be good to have a regional discussion on what may be the first significant threat of a US landfall tropical storm this year. Guidance has been consistent in bringing invest 97 into the southeast or GOM as a tropical storm or hurricane. Last nights 00z euro has landfall near Ft Lauderdale then a coastal scraper up into the carolinas. GFS a bit more persistent with a FL or GOM track. Either way something to track and perhaps some eventual local impacts later Labor Day weekend? First we need the storm to develop and get through the Caribbean.

at201109_5day.gif

2xat_ir_anim.gif

PRWV.JPG

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TD 8 just got named Harvey. And 98L could develop first. So this could be Irene or Jose.

Whatever name it gets, I think it going into the Caribbean first and then becomes a landfall threat to the SE US or GOM. That's assuming, it survives any land interaction with Cuba or Hispaniola. We could eventually see some remnants up here depending on if and when it hooks up with a trough.

i think this one stays weaker alittle longer than what the models have and slips under the big islands..depending on fast this system gets itself out of dry air. Conditions in the nw car. and/or the gulf will be very favorable if it makes it there. And thats a big if..should be fun to track

Thought it would be good to have a regional discussion on what may be the first significant threat of a US landfall tropical storm this year. Guidance has been consistent in bringing invest 97 into the southeast or GOM as a tropical storm or hurricane. Last nights 00z euro has landfall near Ft Lauderdale then a coastal scraper up into the carolinas. GFS a bit more persistent with a FL or GOM track. Either way something to track and perhaps some eventual local impacts later Labor Day weekend? First we need the storm to develop and get through the Caribbean.

at201197_model.gif

If whatever develops has to scrape through every major Caribbean island on its way, then I see its chances as being slim. If it stays over open water for long enough, it can be a threat. The longer term steering pattern suggests a threat further up the coast at this juncture.

6z gfs has the tropical system going inside the BM. Alot of rain for the area .

Looks like the models have it occurring on the Sunday before Labor Day. CMC was into the GOM and ensembles west into Panhandle. Storm needs to develop first and then get through Hispanola and Cuba,

Looks like the models have it occurring on the Sunday before Labor Day. CMC was into the GOM and ensembles west into Panhandle. Storm needs to develop first and then get through Hispanola and Cuba,

As much I want a tropical system up here, I do not want it to be on Sunday because I have a big party to go to.

How much wind?

It is a Day 8-9 forecast. I don't think it is even wise to be looking at them yet in this way. That being said, its just an extratropical mess when it is up here. GFS has the center of the low around 992 mb. Nothing crazy, at least in the wind dept. It will have been over land for almost 3 days at that point. :lol:

They just sent a VDM. The found 53kts at flight level. This might be Irene soon.

URNT12 KNHC 202118

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL972011

A. 20/20:55:10Z

B. 14 deg 31 min N

057 deg 46 min W

C. NA

D. 54 kt

E. 043 deg 82 nm

F. 090 deg 53 kt

G. 046 deg 92 nm

H. EXTRAP 1006 mb

I. 20 C / 457 m

J. 23 C / 456 m

K. 8 C / NA

L. NA

M. NA

N. 12345 / 1

O. 0.02 / 1 nm

P. AF300 01GGA INVEST OB 06

MAX FL WIND 53 KT NE QUAD 20:25:20Z

SLP EXTRAP FROM BELOW 1500 FT

They just sent a VDM. The found 53kts at flight level. This might be Irene soon.

URNT12 KNHC 202118

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL972011

A. 20/20:55:10Z

B. 14 deg 31 min N

057 deg 46 min W

C. NA

D. 54 kt

E. 043 deg 82 nm

F. 090 deg 53 kt

G. 046 deg 92 nm

H. EXTRAP 1006 mb

I. 20 C / 457 m