• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
12/4 Winter Storm Accumulation Totals

superjames1992

I decided to start a thread where we can all post how much snow we got.

I was in northeast High Point, NC and picked up about 1.5" of snow. The vast majority of that accumulated in the 12-3 PM time-frame. I kind of wish it would have snowed at night so it could have accumulated a bit better, but it was really need seeing moderate/heavy snow during the day for the short time it lasted. I was surprised how quickly it accumulated. The temperatures really plummeted during the event to around 30 towards the end of the snow. Hooray for endothermic processes like evaporation and melting! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

accum.20101204-5.gif

Trace line needs to be farther south by me but this gives the general idea.

I know its hard to account for the NW favored locations but man they should be at least pointed out with a max total or something. I know of several locations surpassing 15" for the event. After saying this Im beginning to think they might not merge storms together (Clipper and then NW flow) which would see reasonable for these favored locations (also i see its preliminary).

Here is my forecast verification. In terms of the mountains I don't think they were accounting for the full upslope event and tried to capture more of what was directly associated with the clipper itself. I know at the ridge lines that isn't easy to do and some what is shown there is certainly upslope related.

post-139-0-48049300-1291651127.jpg

Here is my forecast verification. In terms of the mountains I don't think they were accounting for the full upslope event and tried to capture more of what was directly associated with the clipper itself. I know at the ridge lines that isn't easy to do and some what is shown there is certainly upslope related.

And here is my forecast verification.

2hqz03r.gif

2uolabt.png

Overall, I get the feeling they are including NWFS since they put the 5th of December, so this includes most of the reports from Sunday too. This likely inflated the totals in the blue area on Raleigh's map. Still though, I think my map was underdone across the mountains, and I should have blanked them in the pink area. In fact the pink areas should have shifted about one county westward. Otherwise, I almost got the finger of higher snowfall amounts right, but was shifted a bit too far north and didn't extend it far enough to the east. Overall I'd give myself a B.

And here is my forecast verification.

2hqz03r.gif

2uolabt.png

Overall, I get the feeling they are including NWFS since they put the 5th of December, so this includes most of the reports from Sunday too. This likely inflated the totals in the blue area on Raleigh's map. Still though, I think my map was underdone across the mountains, and I should have blanked them in the pink area. In fact the pink areas should have shifted about one county westward. Otherwise, I almost got the finger of higher snowfall amounts right, but was shifted a bit too far north and didn't extend it far enough to the east. Overall I'd give myself a B.

As far as this area you were right on for my county but the next county up received quite a bit more. Wise and Clintwood both received 4.5 inches from the clipper. These areas have received an additional 4-6 from upslope.

As far as this area you were right on for my county but the next county up received quite a bit more. Wise and Clintwood both received 4.5 inches from the clipper. These areas have received an additional 4-6 from upslope.

Yea I should have expanded the light pink and pink area further north as well into Virgina. I have primarily been focusing on the Carolinas, but since the map did include parts of Virgina, I should have done a better job here.

Yea I should have expanded the light pink and pink area further north as well into Virgina. I have primarily been focusing on the Carolinas, but since the map did include parts of Virgina, I should have done a better job here.

Surprised they already called it since Banner Elk and those areas are still getting plastered. Guess upslope part of this does not count in their totals..??

post-347-0-18377100-1291661675.txt

Surprised they already called it since Banner Elk and those areas are still getting plastered. Guess upslope part of this does not count in their totals..??

I was suprised as well.... looking at the cameras up on Beech Mtn they have been getting hammered non-stop over the past 36 hours and it has not let up. I'm anxious to see the exact total up there and was a little bummed Ray didn't mention it in his forecast this morning. I'm guessing they are well over 20-24"

I was suprised as well.... looking at the cameras up on Beech Mtn they have been getting hammered non-stop over the past 36 hours and it has not let up. I'm anxious to see the exact total up there and was a little bummed Ray didn't mention it in his forecast this morning. I'm guessing they are well over 20-24"

I spoke to a guy who works in Eagles Nest subdivision in Banner Elk that has elevations up to 5,200 ft and he said they have between 1-2 feet of snow with 4 foot drifts up top on the ridge line.

I spoke to a guy who works in Eagles Nest subdivision in Banner Elk that has elevations up to 5,200 ft and he said they have between 1-2 feet of snow with 4 foot drifts up top on the ridge line.

That sounds abour right. Although I think dealing with all that cold and snow would get old after a while I would love to spend an entire winter up there just for the experience. It really is like living in a completely different part of the world.

That sounds abour right. Although I think dealing with all that cold and snow would get old after a while I would love to spend an entire winter up there just for the experience. It really is like living in a completely different part of the world.

it sure is. Its vastly different than just down the mountains, especially in the winter. That snow won't be going anywhere anytime soon this week either, maybe a tad of melting with some rain over the weekend before the snowguns are coming back on probably Sunday for another big upslope event.

Archived