amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event?

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well im throwin in the towel. tv sayin an 1" of light snow on sat then wind and cold sunday. :huh:

In addition to echoing other's sentiments, I will also remind you about last year's December 8-9 storm: in SE Wisconsin we were expecting pretty much all snow up until the last minute when the low ended up tracking right through Milwaukee, giving us as much of a mix as snow, and only a few inches of pure snow while the rest of the state got hammered.

Just a couple of analogs to consider (no particular order or preference)...

*December 19th, 2008

*December 23rd-24th, 2004

*January 2nd, 1999

*February 22nd, 2010

*November 30th-December 1st, 2008

Feel free to list anymore or disagree...

On the last one, I'm wondering if you mean November 31st-December 1st, 2006. Otherwise, you must not live in or near Wisconsin because I don't remember any of these storms. Some of the big recent storms I remember are the one listed above, February 6, 2008, the one on Good Friday in 2008, and December 8-9, 2009.

DVN

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY...ALL EYES THEN FOCUS ON THE LARGE SLUG OF WAVE

ENERGY RIDGE-RIDING THE WEST AND THEN DIGGING ACRS THE PLAINS AND

PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL CONUS. SEVERAL MEDIUM RANGE MODELS AGREE ON

PLACEMENT AND SOUTHWARD PLUNGING SURGE OF UPPER JET ENERGY DOWN TO

THE LEE OF THE ROCKIES...AND THEN SPRAWLING OUT ACRS THE LOWER MS

RVR VALLEY AND UP ACRS PORTION OF THE TN AND OH RVR VALLEYS BY LATE

SAT OR SAT NIGHT. CONCEPTUALLY THIS WOULD FAVOR A FURTHER SOUTHWARD

TREND IN THE MAIN SFC LOW...WITH ITS DEVELOPMENT AND TRACK AS WELL

AS IT/S ASSOCIATED DEF ZONE PRECIP SHIELD POSSIBLY LARGELY MISSING

THE DVN CWA JUST OFF TO THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST. THE 12Z RUN GFS IS

CLOSES TO THIS CURRENT THINKING WITH IT/S FURTHER SOUTH TRACK OF

THE MAIN CYCLONE...BUT EVEN IT STILL CLIPS THE SOUTHEAST THIRD TO

QUARTER OF THE CWA WITH AT LEAST ADVISORY CRITERIA SNOWS LATE SAT

INTO SUNDAY MORNING. THE NEW EURO IS BULLISH WITH AN INVERTED TROF

COMPLEX THAT SWEEP ACRS THE CWA OFF MAIN LOW TO THE SOUTH...WITH

PRECIP ALONG THIS FOCUSING MECHANISM AND EVENTUAL DEF ZONE

UNDER H5 MB LOW ENOUGH FOR WARNING CRITERIA SNOWS INTO SUNDAY

MORNING. IT WOULD ALSO HAVE ENOUGH LLVL WAA FOR A RAIN-SNOW MIX IN

THE SOUTHEAST ON SAT. THE NEW GEM IS IN-BETWEEN THESE SOLUTIONS...

BUT THE NOTICEABLE TREND IS FURTHER TO THE SOUTH FROM IT/S PREVIOUS

RUNS. FOR NOW...WILL COVER THE CWA WITH BLANKET MODERATE CHC POPS

FOR MAINLY SNOW SAT AND SAT NIGHT...BUT MENTION RAIN OR SNOW MIX IN

THE SOUTHEASTERN THIRD ON SAT. THE NEXT 1-3 MODEL RUNS SHOULD START

TO TELL THE SORT OF THE PROBABLY SFC LOW DEVELOPMENT AN TRACK OVER

THE NEXT 24-36 HRS AS THEY GET A HANDLE ON EXTENT OF DIGGING UPPER

JET ENERGY AND TRANSLATE IT TO THE SFC. ARCTIC SURGE BEHIND THIS

SYSTEM TO COMMENCE WITH FRIGID DENSE AIRMASS PLUNGING DOWN THE

PLAINS AND UPPER MIDWEST OF OF CANADA LATE SAT NIGHT AND ESPECIALLY

ON SUNDAY. THIS AIRMASS TRANSITION SHOULD RESULT IN BRISK WINDS...

AND DEPENDING ON EVENTUAL PLACEMENT AND GRADIENT OFF DEEPENING SUB-

1000 MB SFC CYCLONE AND HIGH-LOW PRESSURE INTERACTION...COULD BE A

CASE FOR VERY STRONG WINDS ACRS PORTIONS OF THE AREA. COMBINED WITH

ANY SNOWFALL...THERE COULD BE THE NEED FOR A HEADLINE WITH A

SUBSTANTIAL IMPACT MESSAGE.

just a little sarcasm. i personally think it will track closer to the southern tip of lake michigan. seems to happen more than not with these storms, i have no science behind it, but sure seems the low always turns to the lake and ends up 50 mi further north than predicted.

just a little sarcasm. i personally think it will track closer to the southern tip of lake michigan. seems to happen more than not with these storms, i have no science behind it, but sure seems the low always turns to the lake and ends up 50 mi further north than predicted.

Gotchya. Aleking's deconstruction of your post FTW.

The down period between models runs, the other one I am asleep.

I hate this hobby.

a week of build up.

even if I get hit by the time the snow falls I am done. Give me 3 inches and I am ready to find the next system to track.

I am starting to think the chase is is better then winning the prize.

Yeah, usually by the time the event actually happens I'm too damn tired to enjoy it from only sleeping 3 hours every night in order to see all the model runs. Then it's on to the next one.

*December 19th, 2008 - LIKE IT

*December 23rd-24th, 2004 - LIKE IT

*January 2nd, 1999 - LOVE IT

*February 22nd, 2010 - I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THIS IS

*November 30th-December 1st, 2008 - BAH, THAT WAS A HEARTBREAKER

I have warmed up to the idea that even though half of this storm is likely to be rain here, there is enough evidence right now that even a couple backside inches of snow combined with the high wind threat could make this a fun storm. For those that stay 50% or more frozen, could be a very memorable event.

I'm more optimistic than that right now but things could change. But yeah, even if we miss the really heavy band of snow, the snow/wind combo should be exciting.

Ok guys and gals recovering from hernia surgery, painful to say the least.... anyways on to our system. It would appear to me that a slightly more Southern solution is the prudent way to go based on what the models have on the upper air progs. But I think we get some type of phase (of course) and as that happens this thing really takes off, and when that occurs it will pull more to the left, we don't have any way of knowing when that occurs at this point- still way to early. But I'd have to say Eastern/Northeastern Mo up thru ORD and Central Lower Michigan is golden quite likely right now but again that zone will wobble around a lot in the coming days. But with such a system deepening rapidly the track of the surface system may not be as critical because as the thing deepens there will be widespread rapid cooling aloft and then surface temps will respond accordingly giving a wide area a decent advisory level snow at least I think.

Ok guys and gals recovering from hernia surgery, painful to say the least.... anyways on to our system. It would appear to me that a slightly more Southern solution is the prudent way to go based on what the models have on the upper air progs. But I think we get some type of phase (of course) and as that happens this thing really takes off, and when that occurs it will pull more to the left, we don't have any way of knowing when that occurs at this point- still way to early. But I'd have to say Eastern/Northeastern Mo up thru ORD and Central Lower Michigan is golden quite likely right now but again that zone will wobble around a lot in the coming days. But with such a system deepening rapidly the track of the surface system may not be as critical because as the thing deepens there will be widespread rapid cooling aloft and then surface temps will respond accordingly giving a wide area a decent advisory level snow at least I think.

Good to hear your input and feel better. :)

always love your thoughts, feel better man!

*December 19th, 2008

*December 23rd-24th, 2004

*January 2nd, 1999

*February 22nd, 2010

*November 30th-December 1st, 2008

Totals at DTW

*December 19th, 2008 - 7.9"

*December 23rd-24th, 2004- 8.9"

*January 2nd, 1999- 11.3"

*February 22nd, 2010- 6.9"

*November 30th-December 1st, 2008- 0.6"

Archived