• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August General Banter Thread

Gastonwxman

Ok, so I think I get it now.....all winter when I'm flappin about the NAM, GFS, "king" EURO, NAO/PNA....etc...hubby just looks at me like I'm crazy.....So Sunday, we are hosting the Fantasy Football draft at our house for our church league....Me, my sis in law, and 8 guys (most of whom are family which is the only reason I won't be laughed out of my own house).....and I know barely enough NFL players to name on 2 hands....most of which play for the Falcons.....This oughta be fun :lmao: ...trying to study up on the players somewhat so I don't look like a COMPLETE moron....So why did I agree to do this???? Oh yea....we needed one more player to have 10 people to make up our league.....Weather, I know.....football......Well, this is what it probably will be like at my house Sunday afternoon :jerry: ......not to mention the guys doin this :facepalm:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spent the majority of the day fixing a water pipe leak right beside my water meter. I noticed yesterday the soggy grounds around it, and today when the meter reader came by I asked about it. They came out and it was determined it's on my end, so I began digging to find it. Found 2 sizeable holes spewing water on the black plastic pipe right beside where the clamps hold the pipe to the meter. I thought it would be simple, so I went to Lowes and bought what I need (short pipe, 4 clamps). Took all day, had to cut several pieces to get an exact fit on the nipple...and that pipe isn't flexible at all, especially dealing with such a short length. And had to keep adjusting the clamps tighter and tighter as there continued to be a small seepage. I was afraid I'd break the clamps if I went any tighter. I'm just grateful I didn't have a leak somewhere else in the yard or I would have had to unearth a ton of dirt, literally. The line was laid just 3 years ago, so not sure what caused me to spring a leak.

Have you tried sharkbites? They connect any type of pipe to another type of pipe....might want to log this for future reference.....in case there are more problems....we had to use some on our water line.....for 15 years, the nail that was in the siding pulgged the hole it put in the water line going from our well to the hot water heater (stupid contractor).....when the siding was replaced....and the nail came out....we sprung a leak....hubby used the sharkbites to fix it.

Have you tried sharkbites? They connect any type of pipe to another type of pipe....might want to log this for future reference.....in case there are more problems....we had to use some on our water line.....for 15 years, the nail that was in the siding pulgged the hole it put in the water line going from our well to the hot water heater (stupid contractor).....when the siding was replaced....and the nail came out....we sprung a leak....hubby used the sharkbites to fix it.

never heard of them, but I'll remember them. Mine was a simple 3/4 " pipe going onto a nipple. Turns out , I had to remove that pipe several times from the nipple to get the right length, and that is really hard to do in a tight spot, because once they're on, they are meant to STAY on. Plus that black tubing doesn't bend much, made me have to dig even more. I see why plumbers make around 100 bux an hour . I hate any plumbing at all.

So I know I haven't been on here much since the middle of summer, but I am now officially moved in at Albany, NY! I'm certainly going to be poking my head in from time to time (especially during the winter when I am most active :) ) but I just wanted to thank the southeast community for being the most friendly out of all the regions and being one of the top notch groups when it comes to posting obs and weather information. You guys are great and I'm going to miss interacting with you all during the year in regards to similar weather.

So thanks guys, don't ever change! sun.gif

-Phil

So I know I haven't been on here much since the middle of summer, but I am now officially moved in at Albany, NY! I'm certainly going to be poking my head in from time to time (especially during the winter when I am most active :) ) but I just wanted to thank the southeast community for being the most friendly out of all the regions and being one of the top notch groups when it comes to posting obs and weather information. You guys are great and I'm going to miss interacting with you all during the year in regards to similar weather.

-Phil

we will certainly miss you too! be sure and post a couple of pics from a good LES event :)

-Phil

All the best. We should have a pool to guess the date you will post, "Make it stop". I'll take March 15th. tongue.gif

-Phil

Glad to hear you have settled in :thumbsup: Don't forget about us when you are living a winter weenie's dream :P:hug:

All the best. We should have a pool to guess the date you will post, "Make it stop". I'll take March 15th. tongue.gif

I'll take April 2nd :D;)^_^

-Phil

The Southeast forum & especially the Asheville group is really gonna miss you Phil! Great contributions from you. I am certian that many times we will all be living vicariously through you up there this winter. Hope you are posting more than not during the winter. Good Luck!!! Don.

ok folks, need some help... Looking for a nice weekend get away for me and lady friend. Would like to keep it a somewhat close commute (2 to 3 hours). Would like to go somewhere that has decent nightlife but does not have to be over the top. Any ideas?

Atlanta lol

If you had not added in decent night life I would suggest a cabin in the NC/TN blue ridge mountains.

Speaking of which I also need help. I'm planning a trip to the mountains in early/mid-October to the mountains to watch fall foliage with the fiance. I was thinking the Mount Mitchell area but would also be open to TN mountains. Does anyone have good links to cabins or Bed and breakfast places up there that they can personally recommend?

ok folks, need some help... Looking for a nice weekend get away for me and lady friend. Would like to keep it a somewhat close commute (2 to 3 hours). Would like to go somewhere that has decent nightlife but does not have to be over the top. Any ideas?

I would say Nashville or if you want something a little more low key Chattanooga. Chattanooga has done a lot to its downtown and its not that far away. My wife and I have spent plenty of time up that way.

I would say Nashville or if you want something a little more low key Chattanooga. Chattanooga has done a lot to its downtown and its not that far away. My wife and I have spent plenty of time up that way.

I would 2nd Nashville and if you could spring for Opryland Hotel it would be super cool.

Man I hate it when a self-pulling, rear-wheel lawn mower refuses to go forward when you press down on the lever. I have a steep hill that I need to finish cutting but it's next to impossible without being able to auto pull yourself. Anyone know what might be wrong with it? :(

Walk behind, or rider? Walkers like the one I have have a chain drive, others maybe a belt? Riders have a drive wheel and a driven wheel. The drive wheel has a rubber outer edge that can wear down and not completely hit the drive wheel that is on the bottom of the drive shaft.

If it is slipping it might be the above, if it just sits and nothing happens, might be the transmission. Big help, I know :) T

Walk behind, or rider? Walkers like the one I have have a chain drive, others maybe a belt? Riders have a drive wheel and a driven wheel. The drive wheel has a rubber outer edge that can wear down and not completely hit the drive wheel that is on the bottom of the drive shaft.

If it is slipping it might be the above, if it just sits and nothing happens, might be the transmission. Big help, I know :) T

It's a walker (Kawasaki brand). I'm thinking that it's the transmission that's went bad since, as you say, it sits and does nothing. No matter what speed you shift to, it still remains stationary. As far as I know, the cable connected to the lever is just fine and the lever itself is capable of being squeezed all the way past the neutral setting. Eventually after a LONG rest, I went back to finish the rest of the grass but let me tell you the combination of the weight of the lawn mower with the hill I was cutting gives you quite a workout but at least the job's done.

Last time on for awhile. Heading to the mountains til Friday and then leaving Friday Night for a family wedding in Wisconsin. High's in the upper 70's and low 80's are expected! Can't wait!

Enjoy the Northern weather!!!

You went to an awesome game! Martin Prado ftw! :thumbsup:

Awesome game!! No hitter through 6 innings, and a walk off win! Beautiful weather to top it off!!

I'm planning a trip to the mountains in early/mid-October to the mountains to watch fall foliage with the fiance. I was thinking the Mount Mitchell area but would also be open to TN mountains. Does anyone have good links to cabins or Bed and breakfast places up there that they can personally recommend?

Hawksfan, look at laurel valley cabins in Townsend,TN. Price is good for the area. Youve got the smokies on ypur doorstep including cades cove. We used them back in April.

I Highly recommend Cades Cove if your in the Pigeon Forge, Gatlingburg area. Beautiful place with lots of wildlife that are for the most part tame. Also quite a few walking trails.

Archived