• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Tropical Depression Don

I noticed that...do you think it will pull that stunt? Recon had trouble finding west winds in the last fix, and pressure was up, so the LLC was weakening, so it's possible...anything is possible with Don...that would be a bummer for Josh and Cory. BTW all the lightning activity halted very suddenly.

Both KBRO and KCRP shows this as the dominant feature with the remant vorticity fading away to the NE. In fact both radars show 3 distinct velocity cuplets right now with the southernmost becoming more dominant.

In essence Don remains poorly organized.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fay in 2002. Allison prior to its Louisiana landfall in 2001. Arlene in 1993. You could argue Danny in 1997 offshore the Mississippi Delta or Danny in 2009 just offshore the Southeast as well. =)

Arlene 1993 makes sense (I think I forgot about the NNW jog/relocation), but I didn't know Fay and Allison also played musical centers coming ashore... I'll have to read up on them tonight. Thanks (and good to see you here BTW! :))

I had nearly forgotten, but Alberto 2006 did a center jump not terribly far offshore western Florida. Good to see you here too Julian.

Arlene 1993 makes sense (I think I forgot about the NNW jog/relocation), but I didn't know Fay and Allison also played musical centers coming ashore... I'll have to read up on them tonight. Thanks (and good to see you here BTW! :))

There was no TC at landfall, hopefully the NHC does the right thing in PA

I completely agree...I don't know what that thing is, but it's not a tropical storm.

I haven't had a chance to look, but is the ACE for this season lower than the # of named storms? It has to be pretty close.

Cory and I are at the presumed landfall point-- in Riviera Beach on Baffin Bay-- and so far the obs do not suggest a tropical storm. A good rainband is approaching from across the Bay, but so far we're having light rain and winds around 10 kt, pressure 1009.4 mb. Mega-blah.

We're collecting all of the data, which we believe will be useful to the NHC in postanalysis. It feels like a non-event at this point, but let's wait until after the pressure center passes before making a final verdict.

Cory and I are at the presumed landfall point-- in Riviera Beach on Baffin Bay-- and so far the obs do not suggest a tropical storm. A good rainband is approaching from across the Bay, but so far we're having light rain and winds around 10 kt, pressure 1009.4 mb. Mega-blah.

We're collecting all of the data, which we believe will be useful to the NHC in postanalysis. It feels like a non-event at this point, but let's wait until after the pressure center passes before making a final verdict.

Is this the first 'non-event' tropical cyclone you have been in person for?

ASCAT pass earlier showed almost the entirity of the wind field (the little there is) is on the back side.

Is this the first 'non-event' tropical cyclone you have been in person for?

Definitely! :lol:

The funny thing is, Cory and I aborted the chase hours ago and just decided to explore Baffin Bay because it's pretty and because I wanted to get the lay of the land for future chases. Based on the radar, we assumed the cyclone had disintegrated and the very idea of chasing was no longer relevant. Then when the 7 pm CDT advisory came out and suggested we were actually near the center, we figured we might as well take some obs to send to the NHC.

We'll stay put collecting data until the 10 pm CDT advisory indicates the center has passed.

ASCAT pass earlier showed almost the entirity of the wind field (the little there is) is on the back side.

That's a very good point-- we'd forgotten that. Will be interesting to see if the winds pick up after the pressure center passes. This baby seems to have a pretty flat pressure field, as it's only dropped around ~0.7 mb in ~1 hr.

Don has definitely thrown curveballs. The nemesis of never becoming vertically stacked and with a S to SW 500mb vort, it made for a unique cyclone. The data will be interesting from landfall and the eastern flank wind field.

We were just wondering the same thing. It just went poof! on the radar. But look at the current (0015Z) IR image. It is *extremely* misleading, as it suggests our location (Baffin Bay) is getting deluged. It is not.

Looks like the center is near Bustland

post-673-0-57816100-1311988235.gif

Archived