Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Tropical Depression Don

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For being tropical in nature, the convection just off the Texas coast is amazingly electrical.

Just a guess, enough dry air entrained for some evaporational cooling well below the freezing point, and updrafts and downdrafts in close enough proximity for charge separation.

Excellent, thanks.

P.S., I assume you should have a Met tag, right?

'Fraid not. I went the "geography w/ a concentration in tropical meteorology / climatology / vulnerability" route for my Bachelor's and Master's. Worked as an intern at the HPC a while back, but am currently working as a catastrophe risk analyst. You wouldn't happen to have a tag for that, would you? rolleyes.gif

Also, in case you guys are interested:

South Padre Island beach web cam

http://www.spadre.com/southpadrebeachcam.jpg

For being tropical in nature, the convection just off the Texas coast is amazingly electrical.

Just a guess, enough dry air entrained for some evaporational cooling well below the freezing point, and updrafts and downdrafts in close enough proximity for charge separation.

That's somewhat common in sheared systems like this... the thunderstorms can ventilate better.

What's bad for tropical systems, is good for convection.

Well this is an interesting. The radar seems to be picking up something eerily similar to the general geography of the coastline. Since Don is a POS, does anyone care to speculate what this may be? I wouldn't think a sea breeze would be present considering the current conditions and the lack of any movement suggests this isn't an outflow boundary associated with the thunderstorms off the coast.

interestingthingywithmarking.png

Well this is an interesting. The radar seems to be picking up something eerily similar to the general geography of the coastline. Since Don is a POS, does anyone care to speculate what this may be? I wouldn't think a sea breeze would be present considering the current conditions.

I've noticed that it has begun to look a lot more hazy / misty on that South Padre Island webcam I posted above. Wonder if this is what is showing up on radar.

Don isn't a complete failure as a much needed rain maker.

southplains_loop.gif

Thunderstorms in the panhandle are unrelated to Don. That's a weak surace low and trailing frontal boundary. That area of the country is beyond drought stage at this point. Lubbock has received something like .64" of rain since March.

Thunderstorms in the panhandle are unrelated to Don. That's a weak surace low and trailing frontal boundary. That area of the country is beyond drought stage at this point. Lubbock has received something like .64" of rain since March.

Probably talking about the Galveston Bay area, with all the outflow boundary action from Don going on now.

Looks like Don is trying to make one last center relocation before landfall, right where all the lighting activity was observed.

I noticed that...do you think it will pull that stunt? Recon had trouble finding west winds in the last fix, and pressure was up, so the LLC was weakening, so it's possible...anything is possible with Don...that would be a bummer for Josh and Cory. BTW all the lightning activity halted very suddenly.

I noticed that...do you think it will pull that stunt? Recon had trouble finding west winds in the last fix, and pressure was up, so the LLC was weakening, so it's possible...anything is possible with Don...that would be a bummer for Josh and Cory.

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT DOPPLER WIND DISPLAYS FROM

THE BROWNSVILLE WSR-88D HAVE RECENTLY SHOWN A WELL-DEFINED

MESOCYCLONE IN A STRONG CONVECTIVE CELL WELL TO THE SOUTHWEST OF

THE CENTER AND THE PRIMARY CONVECTION.

Any recon in the area to figure out what's going on in the face of this radar mess?

No, anything out there... mesocyclone certainly won't aid the official center, if there's still one.... and it's about to landfall in probably 2 hours.

Archived