CONVECTION...MEAGER RAINFALL...AND ONLY A SLIGHT SIGNATURE IN

SURFACE OBSERVATIONS AND RADAR DATA. THEREFORE...THIS IS THE LAST

ADVISORY ON THIS SYSTEM. DON SHOULD OPEN UP INTO A TROUGH LATER

TODAY AS IT MOVES TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST AND IS NOT EXPECTED TO POSE

A RAINFALL THREAT.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that was bizare. Dry air had always been Don's nemesis but I don't think I've ever seen a tropical cyclone collapse that fast before. Perhaps that final attempt at a center relocation made Don's vorticity weaker for a time, and the advection of dry air from the land literally killed it. The storm total radar image is pretty telling above.

when the ocean and atmosphere work together, we get these amazing storms called tropical cyclones...In Don's case, the 30-31C water temps created a favorable environment, but the atmosphere was never on board...as soon as Don made landfall it was all over...

here's one for the tropi-weenies...maybe there is something to be said about the power of wishcasting?

Here is the verification of my maps made over the past couple of days for Tropical Storm Don... Overall I'm pretty satisfied with my track forecast, although I ended up being a little too far south. Intensity wise was a joke for the first forecast, and I could not have busted more horribly. The second intensity forecast was much more reasonable but still didn't forecast the rapid weakening that occurred as Don approached landfall. Overall, I felt like this was a much more difficult storm to forecast intensity wise than normal, so I'm not surprised how poorly I did and was pretty much schooled by the NHC which made the correct forecast to be far more conservative. Major kudos need to go to those folks as well as the others who stayed conservative with the intensity forecast.

In the end, I was 6 hours off on the landfall timing for both forecasts, and my intensity forecast at landfall was a joke for the first forecast, more reasonable but still pretty bad for the second. Thus I give myself a B for the forecast track, and a mean value of D for the intensity, although the first intensity forecast is definitely an F. I encourage everyone (mets and non-mets alike) to critique my forecast and post your own verification!

24b4vft.png

141jv6c.png

Archived