Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Tropical Storm Bret

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like aTD to me on the visible...the only issues are the high pressure, which may mean most of the system is still at the mid levels, and the location of the surface low

pressure is rising at the bouys closest but there isn't really any data near the center

also the COC at the low levels may be reforming more SE then the 12z position perhaps near that new over shoting top

post-142-0-43299800-1310915928.jpg

Will be fun to watch this system because it looks like both a tricky track and intensity forecast. Right now the system is in a favorable environment sandwiched in between a mid-level ridge and trough. However, the upper level features are displaced east of their mid level counterparts. This makes things interesting because the low level flow is light westerly while the upper level flow is easterly. The strength of the storm in this case will have a greater impact on the motion than normal with a more vertically deep storm staying put while a weaker storm will shift northeast with time..

The intensity beyond 36 hours will be dictated by how much the mid level ridge builds westward. If it fails to do so, like the GFS is suggesting, our system will become strongly sheared from the east and the storm will quickly fall apart as the low level flow draws it eastward against the upper level flow.

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS

CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.

1215 PM EDT SUN 17 JULY 2011

SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)

VALID 18/1100Z TO 19/1100Z JULY 2011

TCPOD NUMBER.....11-047

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. SUSPECT AREA

FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 72

A. 18/1800Z

B. AFXXX 0302A CYCLONE

C. 18/1500Z

D. 28.0N 79.5W

E. 18/1700Z TO 18/2300Z

F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

FLIGHT TWO -- TEAL 73

A. 19/0600Z

B. AFXXX 0402A CYCLONE

C. 19/0300Z

D. 28.5N 79.5W

E. 19/0500Z TO 19/1100Z

F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: CONTINUE 12-HRLY

FIXES WHILE SYSTEM REMAINS A THREAT.

3. REMARK: FLIGHT SCHEDULED FOR 18/1800Z WILL CONVERT TO AN

LOW-LEVEL INVEST MISSION IF THE FLIGHT SCHEDULED FOR

17/0600Z IS CANCELLED.

I sailed through this on a cruise ship from Freeport yesterday morning. Very rough seas and all outside decks closed for several hours. Ship's anemometer peaked at 68 kts. Of course we all know about how bad cruise ship obs are, and I'm pretty sure even at the mast it wasn't quite 68 kts, but still I can attest to some very strong winds and seas.

There is little question this system is at tropical depression status... Recon might even find stronger winds to qualify this as a tropical storm. I'm not one to bash the NHC but it's a little embarrassing that they still have the 30% up from 8am this morning... You would have thought they would have issued a Special TWO by now, considering the WINDSAT pass, satellite, and radar. Not a big deal, but they will have some poor stats from the last several TWO probabilities. That's just the fickle nature of TCG sometimes.

I've posted some initial thoughts on my blog, but will update later this afternoon after recon has investigated the system.

http://philstropicalweatherblog.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/invest-98l-becoming-better-organized-likely-to-be-a-depression-or-tropical-storm-later-today/

The windsat pass from earlier, the impressive low-level organization seen on the visible imagery, and the persistence of convection near the center all suggest a TD has formed to me. The forecast track is highly uncertain, but I would have to go with little movement over the next couple days, followed by a gradual acceleration towards the NE. Most of the dynamical and global models indicate this, although they don't resolve the system very well. I don't think the ridge over the interior U.S. is going to be enough to drive this south and westward into the Gulf, especially as the eastern end of it gets eroded by the digging trough over the Canadian Maritimes.

Under this track scenario, it will likely die a quick death in 2-3 days as it encounters increased shear from upper-level northeasterlies. Before that time though, I think this has a pretty good chance of intensifying into a TS.

To supplement CUmet's thoughts, this storm is going to have a lifetime struggle with dry air to its north. Already convection has decreased markedly as some of the dry air north of the system is being advected in. The shear won't be too strong in the short term (24-36 hours) but it will still be from the north, which is going to cause a lot of dry air intrusions. Despite the warm waters underneath this system, deep convection will likely struggle to remain consistent.

2450fns.png

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

200 PM EDT SUN JUL 17 2011

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH A BROAD AREA OF LOW

PRESSURE LOCATED ABOUT 125 MILES EAST OF MELBOURNE FLORIDA

HAVE CHANGED LITTLE IN ORGANIZATION OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS.

UPPER-LEVEL WINDS HAVE BECOME A LITTLE MORE CONDUCIVE FOR

DEVELOPMENT TODAY...AND THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...40

PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS

AS IT MOVES LITTLE. AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT

IS ENROUTE TO INVESTIGATE THE AREA LATER TODAY.

Hmmm... NHC wants the recon to finish investigating 98L before they call it a TD it seems...

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL

TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

1. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH A BROAD AREA OF LOW

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE

NEXT 48 HOURS.

$$

FORECASTER PASCH/STEWART

NNNN

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH A BROAD AREA OF LOW

Dang, you just beat me... :(

Archived