wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe threat 7/6/11 obs/disc

free_man

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how long is this rain delay going to last?

It depends if these showers in central MA die out before reaching eastern areas. If they do, then the delay won't be very long, maybe 20-30 min. But it could be over an hour if they have to wait for this crap that's over my area right now.

nice dying line lol. I like how the SPC mesoanalysis seems to like my area for peak instability on a consistent basis but yet the stuff dies once it gets east of the ORH hills.

welcome to the joys of living around here...i've been watching that line pulse up and then die out as it heads our way...gust front came through 5 mins ago...last gasp from that dying storm...not even any rain, that whole line dried up...

I had a HUGE positive CG strike about 100 feet from my house. It was the kind that you hear about in stories... the sun was shining, it was done raining for about 10 minutes, and there was a huge, HUGE explosion outside. It wasn't a typical blue/white flash of a close strike, but more like a yellow/orange fireball.

My wife, kids and I ran outside to see that a huge towering pine tree across the street got hit, and it basically exploded. I have chunks of wood over 3 feet long in my backyard woods, over 200 feet away from the pine.

It also hit a telephone pole about 30-40 feet from the tree, and shredded the top 5 feet of the pole. It has one high voltage line on it, and I found the insulator about 75 feet away from the pole.

WMECO replaced the pole this morning.

Of course, most of the electronics in my house are fried... Sucks, but damn... it was VERY worth it. I have seen plenty of very close strikes, but nothing quite that explosive.

I had a HUGE positive CG strike about 100 feet from my house. It was the kind that you hear about in stories... the sun was shining, it was done raining for about 10 minutes, and there was a huge, HUGE explosion outside. It wasn't a typical blue/white flash of a close strike, but more like a yellow/orange fireball.

My wife, kids and I ran outside to see that a huge towering pine tree across the street got hit, and it basically exploded. I have chunks of wood over 3 feet long in my backyard woods, over 200 feet away from the pine.

It also hit a telephone pole about 30-40 feet from the tree, and shredded the top 5 feet of the pole. It has one high voltage line on it, and I found the insulator about 75 feet away from the pole.

Of course, most of the electronics in my house are fried... Sucks, but damn... it was VERY worth it. I have seen plenty of very close strikes, but nothing quite that explosive.

Nice. That kind of stuff is awesome

that does suck...but like you said, pretty damn cool at the same time. congrats? LOL.

I can't say I'd enjoy having to replace all of the electronics in my house, but to each his own. :)

It is a sound you'll never forget. Like an explosion.

I've never really noticed these backside + anvil bolts like I've seen this year. I don't recall growing up, of many bolts in the stratiform anvil rain..or even as the storm departs. Even last night when the sky cleared and the storm was about 7 miles to my se, we had one strike maybe a mile away. It did develop just a bit, so lightning picked up..but the one that hit the telephone pole next to my place on June 9th, was when the squall line was 20 miles away, as we had the stratiform rain that you get during post squall line.

Archived