• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe threat 7/6/11 obs/disc

free_man

It is a sound you'll never forget. Like an explosion.

I've never really noticed these backside + anvil bolts like I've seen this year. I don't recall growing up, of many bolts in the stratiform anvil rain..or even as the storm departs. Even last night when the sky cleared and the storm was about 7 miles to my se, we had one strike maybe a mile away. It did develop just a bit, so lightning picked up..but the one that hit the telephone pole next to my place on June 9th, was when the squall line was 20 miles away, as we had the stratiform rain that you get during post squall line.

Had one strike near my house about 10 years ago. Fried a few electronics. I was literally shaking for about 10 mins it was so close. Incredible sound.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had one strike near my house about 10 years ago. Fried a few electronics. I was literally shaking for about 10 mins it was so close. Incredible sound.

That'll do it! As much as I love thunder and lightning, I'll admit to having been terrified a couple times in the past. Tops on that list is when I was 10, at a summer camp. We were walking next to a utility pole, hoping to get to our cabins before being drenched, when the bolt struck the next pole downhill, perhaps 200' distant. That pole held several large transformers for the main camp buildings, and the initial explosion was followed by 3-4 immense flash-bangs as the electronics died, then total darkness. The continuing thunder must've been very loud, because I can't recall hearing all the shrieking that we must've made while streaking up the hill.

We lost a computer to a nearby strike a few years back (2005 ish?) Hit my neighbor's shed and then somehow travelled along the CATV line into my cable modem. Poof

We lost a computer to a nearby strike a few years back (2005 ish?) Hit my neighbor's shed and then somehow travelled along the CATV line into my cable modem. Poof

This may sound silly, but ever since that strike outside my condo....it does make CTG lightning a bit more....well interesting. When I was a kid...I wished for something to hit outside my house. Now...I wish it to be greater than 100 yds please.

This may sound silly, but ever since that strike outside my condo....it does make CTG lightning a bit more....well interesting. When I was a kid...I wished for something to hit outside my house. Now...I wish it to be greater than 100 yds please.

Suck it up and take the next one like a man!

Kind of old news but I figured I post a video I took of this event. This is Florida, MA right near North Adams. Nothing exceptional really. Strong winds as you'd expect, maybe 50mph or so, and the occasional close lightning strike.

Archived