• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
July 4th Holiday weekend wx

Damage In Tolland

But there is also no coincidence that during the last 2 years of -NAO influence...we've had no East Coast landfalls.

I think this discussion sub-thread is split, Scott -

I don't have an opinion about which indice is best of EC impacts, although I did make that post awhile ago. I could argue for either veraciously, actually.

What Ginx was and I were discussing is whether the frequency of recurving hurricanes leads any tendency for ensuing cold season NAO modes, following from Hart.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But there is also no coincidence that during the last 2 years of -NAO influence...we've had no East Coast landfalls.

I'm not sure Earl qualified for a landfall or not with the outer eyewall brushing NC, however the center did make landfall in NS. Not scientifically , but to me it would argue the pattern was somewhat favorable for a TC landfall on the EC. That may be somewhat anecdotal, too.

BDL put up a -1 yesterday to finish the month of June at 0.0

So of the 4 major climo sites at in KBOX CWA, 0 of them finished above average. The other 3 were:

BOS: -0.9

ORH: -0.1

PVD: -0.2

Not that this about me ...but, when "I" brought this up last week I was talking more about the sensible affect vs the numbers, and how they don't match. The sensible memory is that June was quite about colder - to me anyway. Those numbers are still a good bit warmer than all those suffered cold times.

The thing is, the overnight lows may have been above normal during some of the cool stretches too - there's that, and how that can skew the "affect" of it. These fractions of a single F degree mean less than the memory of a stolen month.

Although, the last 4 days have been back to back pretty fantastic.

Now, if the extended GFS works out ...look out.

Also, another thing:

surface pressure patterns in Sept. associated with +NAOs and -NAOs of greater than 1 standard deviation from the mean.

-NAO:

24.62.18.251.181.6.3.22.png

+NAO:

24.62.18.251.181.6.5.51.png

While highs with +NAOs are stronger, especially over the Azores, the is a noticeable weakness off the US East Coast in +NAO regimes. -NAO highs are weaker overall...but are stretched more favorably east-to-west and are associated with more overall US landfalls. The most favorable pattern for a New England strike IMO would be an overall -NAO summer with a transient +NAO regime as the hurricane gets closer to the US East Coast.

Interesting post ... it may have to do with R-wave lengths being shorter during warm seasons, such tha ta +NAO should have a different correlation on the EC pattern July - October perhaps.

I'm not sure why people want blistering heat. LOL This period coming up through the middle of next week looks like perfectly fine summer wx... 80s across hte board for most of you low landers and coastal-ites. I guess 95-100 is more comfortable than 85 ehh...

Not that this about me ...but, when "I" brought this up last week I was talking more about the sensible affect vs the numbers, and how they don't match. The sensible memory is that June was quite about colder - to me anyway. Those numbers are still a good bit warmer than all those suffered cold times.

The thing is, the overnight lows may have been above normal during some of the cool stretches too - there's that, and how that can skew the "affect" of it. These fractions of a single F degree mean less than the memory of a stolen month.

Although, the last 4 days have been back to back pretty fantastic.

Now, if the extended GFS works out ...look out.

Who the hell cares? The last 6 days have been perfect, then next ten will be too, get out, go to the beach, mountains, do something, enjoy the weather!!

eh..what if I just want to stay inside? Is that okay? lol

Archived