• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
How would you rank June 1 2011 in SNE?

HoarfrostHubb

Getting my start out in Iowa was enough to bring the inner severe weenie out in me, so needless to say this ranks pretty high for me.

Tracking the remnant EML (that spawned the tornadoes in Nebraska/S. Dakota) up through Canada and across New England, watching all the pieces actually come together and stay together, it was pretty amazing. The radar signatures (the classic supercell structure, the 150 knots couplet, the debris ball) were something out of the Plains.

The rarity of seeing that in southern New England puts this easily in my top ten. I'm used to our tornadoes being dropped from HP messes, like the one that put down the tornado in my avatar.

Hurricanes are a larger scale phenomenon so you aren't at the whim of chance which can often be the case in convection.

hurricanes are more dangerous to the general populace and you're at a much greater mercy of nature in a higher level event. i really doubt most people would enjoy a cat 3 hurricane hitting them directly where they live.

hurricanes are more dangerous to the general populace and you're at a much greater mercy of nature in a higher level event. i really doubt most people would enjoy a cat 3 hurricane hitting them directly where they live.

I was talking about the "excitement of experiencing a big weather event" or something to that effect whether its really rational or not. I probably would root for a cat 1 to hit since it won't do too much damage to most areas but would be extremely interesting to follow and experience winds from. I don't think I'd root for 115 mph winds over my house though where I have to start worrying about losing the roof.

I would say this event ranks as number one...blowing any other event we've had out of the water (of course not 1953 but how many of us were alive for that?). This definitely was the most impressive weather event we have had here in southern New England since 1953...more impressive than any tropical system or winter storm. I say this is more impressive than any winter storm b/c well winter storms, and major winter storms here are quite common as we get them just about every winter and we get blockbusters every several years or so. While we have had some pretty decent tropical systems impact us, nothing really remarkable since 1938.

What we saw happen on Wednesday is just incredibly rare around here. We'll see what the ratings show when they come out later today but this could potentially be the first (E)F 3+ tornado in SNE since 1995. We'll also see what the confirmed number of tornadoes are from this but it will be interesting to see if this passes July 3rd, 1997 for the most tornadoes in one day from an event.

Besides the fact that we saw some strong tornadoes what made this event so rare and special was basically the setup we had in place. This has already been discussed but it's worth being talked about over and over. This was really a mid-west style setup. We had everything in place and everything came together to produce these monster storms. We had an EML, a very rich and moist low-level airmass, we had a good deal of dry air in the mid levels which did not mix down, we had very good directional shear in place, strong vertical shear values, low LCL's, decent height falls, and a strong trigger.

Who really knows when we will ever see something like this again...it may never happen again in our lifetime...to get everything to come together like it did.

I would say this event ranks as number one...blowing any other event we've had out of the water (of course not 1953 but how many of us were alive for that?). This definitely was the most impressive weather event we have had here in southern New England since 1953...more impressive than any tropical system or winter storm. I say this is more impressive than any winter storm b/c well winter storms, and major winter storms here are quite common as we get them just about every winter and we get blockbusters every several years or so. While we have had some pretty decent tropical systems impact us, nothing really remarkable since 1938.

What we saw happen on Wednesday is just incredibly rare around here. We'll see what the ratings show when they come out later today but this could potentially be the first (E)F 3+ tornado in SNE since 1995. We'll also see what the confirmed number of tornadoes are from this but it will be interesting to see if this passes July 3rd, 1997 for the most tornadoes in one day from an event.

Besides the fact that we saw some strong tornadoes what made this event so rare and special was basically the setup we had in place. This has already been discussed but it's worth being talked about over and over. This was really a mid-west style setup. We had everything in place and everything came together to produce these monster storms. We had an EML, a very rich and moist low-level airmass, we had a good deal of dry air in the mid levels which did not mix down, we had very good directional shear in place, strong vertical shear values, low LCL's, decent height falls, and a strong trigger.

Who really knows when we will ever see something like this again...it may never happen again in our lifetime...to get everything to come together like it did.

I don't know if I would go that far, but of course..it's all subjective. You think this was more special than Hurricane Gloria or Bob and any of the other outbreaks like in '89??

In terms of unusual strong tornadoes the BDL F4 definitely wins as the strangest weather event given the setup in place for that one.

I think the 1989 tornado outbreak with one long track F4 (was F4 twice.... in Schoharie County NY and New Haven County CT) plus 2 other supercells in Mass and NJ that produced damage is probably similar to this event in magnitude.

Blizzard of 1978 and Floods of 1955 are probably higher than both of those events, I'd say. Hurricane Carol in 1954 higher still.

Was this better than the Boxing Day Blizzard? The Derecho of 1998? The Three 80F Lows at BDL? You name it...

I think in terms of interesting weather (very horrible for some - no disrespect meant) it was in my top 10, maybe top 5

It depends on how you look at it and want to rank.

This is by far the worst thing I can remember seeing, however since this area completely missed every storm Wednesday, personally it wasn't even close to top 10.

As far as types of wx things to tell the grandkids about, this will be top 10 if not top 5.

the strange way weather works...it'll probably happen again this summer. :lol:

I don't know if I would go that far, but of course..it's all subjective. You think this was more special than Hurricane Gloria or Bob and any of the other outbreaks like in '89??

Not sure why I left out '89 in that post but I should have included it in there with '53. Plus I was only like 9 months old in '89. Obviously 5/31/98 is another major event but for the most part we had a damaging wind/hail event...on par with that of 7/18/06...the tornadic activity was just off to our west.

From a personal perspective I would say this was more special than Gloria and Bob but on;y b/c I don't know a great deal about tropical activity and I love severe wx much more than I do tropical activity...not that I don't care for it...it's just I know very little about it.

This was the very first time since I've gotten into forecast models and such that I actually got to witness everything unfold from a meteorological perspective and understand it. I always wondered what it would be like not only to watch things unfold the day of but actually get to track the potential days out and watch how things come together.

This was also a HUGE step in the learning process for me b/c I've actually witnessed with my own eyes what it takes to get an outbreak like this and so from now on when I see those "fake" setups like 6/6/10 I'll know exactly how excited I should be.

the strange way weather works...it'll probably happen again this summer. :lol:

Yup...on a day when I'm working once my summer full time starts in a few weeks.

I'm still pissed off about this...this is the 3rd straight year that my friend took 2-weeks off from work (usually the final week of May and first week of June) so we can go storm chasing in the area...on Monday/Tuesday we had an idea of where we wanted to start off...either Litchfield County or BDL...I told him if we won our game Tuesday I'd have a game Wednesday...I didn't expect to win Tuesday, that was the first time Conard won their first round game since the early 2000's.

One reason why I also did the game was b/c I thought we would end up getting screwed somehow...we've been screwed so many times in the past by something...anything and I just expected that to happen again, despite how good things looked.

Yup...on a day when I'm working once my summer full time starts in a few weeks.

I'm still pissed off about this...this is the 3rd straight year that my friend took 2-weeks off from work (usually the final week of May and first week of June) so we can go storm chasing in the area...on Monday/Tuesday we had an idea of where we wanted to start off...either Litchfield County or BDL...I told him if we won our game Tuesday I'd have a game Wednesday...I didn't expect to win Tuesday, that was the first time Conard won their first round game since the early 2000's.

One reason why I also did the game was b/c I thought we would end up getting screwed somehow...we've been screwed so many times in the past by something...anything and I just expected that to happen again, despite how good things looked.

Instead of going off on these inane tantrums and tirades the answer is simple.

Get your drivers liscense and get your own car. Not sure why you havent done that at 22 yrs old, but if you had your own transportation...it would open many more doors for you.

Take some initiative and make things happen for yourself

I think its all about personal experience to tell you the truth..

For me this event isn't even in my top 1000( didn't even see a flash of lightning)

For.people in Springfield its probably number 1

For my viewing pleasure.. it's probably number 1 for.me.. then probably hurricane Earl last year

Superlatives:

1) Apr. 1 1997--- Most anomalous (I think)

2) Dec. 2008 icestorm-- Most jaw dropping results (above 1000')

3) June 1 2011-- Most tendency to rotate I've ever seen on radar, Best New England severe parameters

Before my lifetime 1938 and 1953 would likely take the cake

Instead of going off on these inane tantrums and tirades the answer is simple.

Get your drivers liscense and get your own car. Not sure why you havent done that at 22 yrs old, but if you had your own transportation...it would open many more doors for you.

Take some initiative and make things happen for yourself

The major issue is getting a car...right now at least. Plus it's getting motivated to learn to drive.

The day I turned 16 I went to the DMV for my permit but they needed a hard copy of a birth certificate and all I had was a copy of it. I finally found it about 2.5 years later but by that point I just lost all motivation and then other crap happened involving cars that just delayed it even further...accident, and there was a period of about a year where I would get really car sick for some reason.

In terms of unusual strong tornadoes the BDL F4 definitely wins as the strangest weather event given the setup in place for that one.

I think the 1989 tornado outbreak with one long track F4 (was F4 twice.... in Schoharie County NY and New Haven County CT) plus 2 other supercells in Mass and NJ that produced damage is probably similar to this event in magnitude.

Blizzard of 1978 and Floods of 1955 are probably higher than both of those events, I'd say. Hurricane Carol in 1954 higher still.

Quick nitpick, the 1989 CT F4 didn't form until just north of Hamden and then rapidly turned violent. I think the track of that is actually only about 5 or 6 miles. Though that same supercell produced multiple tornadoes along the way so the storm's mesocyclone was pretty amazing in how long it keep pumping out tors.

Quick nitpick, the 1989 CT F4 didn't form until just north of Hamden and then rapidly turned violent. I think the track of that is actually only about 5 or 6 miles. Though that same supercell produced multiple tornadoes along the way so the storm's mesocyclone was pretty amazing in how long it keep pumping out tors.

What's also impressive about that one is that right moved like a mo'fo...the right movement in that one was frekaing sick...started near the Albany area then got to the New Haven area...that's sick.

That same storm also pumped out a brief tornado on Long Island very close to where the OKX office is now...before heading out to sea. The storm initiated near or over the adirondacks.

That same storm also pumped out a brief tornado on Long Island very close to where the OKX office is now...before heading out to sea. The storm initiated near or over the adirondacks.

Yeah that was the supercell from hell. How many tornadoes did that thing drop, like 5? I think it dropped 3 in CT and we know it dropped 2 in NY (1 upstate 1 on LI), I wonder if there was a 2nd upstate.

I also wonder how common it is for a supercell to start north of SYR and then exit the coast at HVN and then over E LI.

IF I had been in Keene, I would rank the event very high on the list for MBY. There were multiple reports of hail 2.5" in diameter. The largest I've ever seen is maybe a quarter inch lol

Difficult to rank against winter storms though...

Yeah that was the supercell from hell. How many tornadoes did that thing drop, like 5? I think it dropped 3 in CT and we know it dropped 2 in NY (1 upstate 1 on LI), I wonder if there was a 2nd upstate.

I also wonder how common it is for a supercell to start north of SYR and then exit the coast at HVN and then over E LI.

Probably about as common as Kevin staying all snow during a SWFE. :lol:

Seriously, that's pretty much unprecedented. The only other event that is similar (and may even exceed the 1989 supercell) is the 8/28/73 storm that produced an F4 in West Stockbridge, MA and killed several people. Another EML day BTW.

Started in the adirondacks and made it all the way to bridgeport (at least):

post-13-0-75921100-1307165882.png

Probably about as common as Kevin staying all snow during a SWFE. :lol:

Seriously, that's pretty much unprecedented. The only other event that is similar (and may even exceed the 1989 supercell) is the 8/28/73 storm that produced an F4 in West Stockbridge, MA and killed several people. Another EML day BTW.

Started in the adirondacks and made it all the way to bridgeport (at least):

Hey Mike, I noticed that most of the violent tornado tracks in your area had some southerly component. This is in contrast to areas west of the Apps where the vast majority have tracked east/northeast. Do you guys do better on northwest flow days in general?

Archived