• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
How would you rank June 1 2011 in SNE?

HoarfrostHubb

Was this better than the Boxing Day Blizzard? The Derecho of 1998? The Three 80F Lows at BDL?

I think in terms of interesting weather (very horrible for some - no disrespect meant) it was in my top 10, maybe top 5

i think in terms of jaw-dropping shock factor, it ranks very high for me. aside from 12/9/05, i'm not sure i've ever been so floored by what i was watching unfold...and i wasn't even physically there for this.

i think in terms of jaw-dropping shock factor, it ranks very high for me. aside from 12/9/05, i'm not sure i've ever been so floored by what i was watching unfold...and i wasn't even physically there for this.

Agreed. The return time for an event like this seems to be 10-15 years in sne/e ny. 1998, 1989, 1979, 1973, 1953.

So something of this magnitude is probably a not more frequent or as frequent as a landfallimg hurricane in sne.

Keeping it in the context of severe weather, it might be on par with like July 1989. I think May 31, 1998 was more widespread with a lot of impressive damage, but it didn't produce a violent tornado (nevermind one with a long track) like yesterday did.

Edit: It did produce one in E NY, but I was being more SNE-centric.

Was this better than the Boxing Day Blizzard? The Derecho of 1998? The Three 80F Lows at BDL?

I think in terms of interesting weather (very horrible for some - no disrespect meant) it was in my top 10, maybe top 5

This beats the Boxing Day Blizzard for me in terms of just shear interest, the unknowns that we still face with severe wx forecasting, and the meteorology involved. In fact, probably beats all blizzards if you use that metric. I won't forget this day. I mean, how can your jaw not fall to the ground after seeing a possible long track tornado tearing through one of our largest cities, debris ball on radar, and the same cities receiving another tornado.

Interest was fun, but I get no pleasure knowing so many lost everything they worked there entire lives to build, or mothers dying lying on there children. So for me, once this event went to that level, its something I wish never happened.

Interest was fun, but I get no pleasure knowing so many lost everything they worked there entire lives to build, or mothers dying lying on there children. So for me, once this event went to that level, its something I wish never happened.

Just looking from a met/interest side. Of course the loss of life and property is never desired.

I would rank this in my top 5 I guess: 1978 Blizzard, Gloria, 2008 Ice Storm, Mass. Outbreak 2011 (any name for this?), maybe Bob or 1991 Halloween/Perfect Storm (no particular order)

And where can I get good sat images from yesterday. I only found a couple. O' Ginxy???

Agreed. The return time for an event like this seems to be 10-15 years in sne/e ny. 1998, 1989, 1979, 1973, 1953.

So something of this magnitude is probably a not more frequent or as frequent as a landfallimg hurricane in sne.

hopefully it gets pushed down the list of most memorable events by a big Cat 3 this summer. LOL.

the randomness of tornadoes i think adds an element to this in terms of it's memorability. some of winter storms in my lifetime - jan 05 for me - i'll never ever forget but that was a well-forecast event and it obviously doesn't quite unfold with the same level of drama and intensity. it's a different feeling of excitement.

well yeah of course. no one wants death and destruction. that's not what this is about though.

hopefully it gets pushed down the list of most memorable events by a big Cat 3 this summer. LOL.

the randomness of tornadoes i think adds an element to this in terms of it's memorability. some of winter storms in my lifetime - jan 05 for me - i'll never ever forget but that was a well-forecast event and it obviously doesn't quite unfold with the same level of drama and intensity. it's a different feeling of excitement.

This is the year baby!

Keeping it in the context of severe weather, it might be on par with like July 1989. I think May 31, 1998 was more widespread with a lot of impressive damage, but it didn't produce a violent tornado (nevermind one with a long track) like yesterday did.

Edit: It did produce one in E NY, but I was being more SNE-centric.

Yeah if you strictly are talking SNE I agree with you.

In the context of high end severe days in the region... SNE/CNE/E NY 98 was so prolific with tornadic cells it was absolutely incredible.

This event with really just 1 tornadic supercell was somewhat like July 1989 with one long track strong tornado from Otsego County NY to New Haven.

Just looking from a met/interest side. Of course the loss of life and property is never desired.

I would rank this in my top 5 I guess: 1978 Blizzard, Gloria, 2008 Ice Storm, Mass. Outbreak 2011 (any name for this?), maybe Bob or 1991 Halloween/Perfect Storm (no particular order)

And where can I get good sat images from yesterday. I only found a couple. O' Ginxy???

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/satellite/

Violent weather will still occur even if we all hope to never see it, it is part of living on earth. I doubt anyone would enjoy losing all their possessions. The point is we don't have a choice. It will still happen whether you enjoy it or not.

I'd rank this in the top five in terms of interest. Charley is still number one from a personal standpoint.

I'm a snow weenie at heart, but the unknowings of severe wx..especially something like this, is what's fascinating to me. Just the shear dynamics and power that it takes to create severe. With snowstorms..you can see them coming sometimes a week out. At least with severe, there is still that not "knowing what will happen", scenario. We still have a lot to learn.

I'm speaking more of severe in general across the US..not necessarily here. The reason why I can't become like weatherwiz, is just that we simply don't see this kind of phenomenon on a regular basis. We excel in snow and that's what mostly grabs my attention. However, my interest in severe wx has increased a lot in the last 2 years. There's just something humbling about the power of mother nature.

I'm a snow weenie at heart, but the unknowings of severe wx..especially something like this, is what's fascinating to me. Just the shear dynamics and power that it takes to create severe. With snowstorms..you can see them coming sometimes a week out. At least with severe, there is still that not "knowing what will happen", scenario. We still have a lot to learn.

I'm speaking more of severe in general across the US..not necessarily here. The reason why I can't become like weatherwiz, is just that we simply don't see this kind of phenomenon on a regular basis. We excel in snow and that's what mostly grabs my attention. However, my interest in severe wx has increased a lot in the last 2 years. There's just something humbling about the power of mother nature.

exactly. i would never trade winter to see what happened yesterday one time in a year. LOL. but in terms of memorable...yesterday was memorable.

Yeah if you strictly are talking SNE I agree with you.

In the context of high end severe days in the region... SNE/CNE/E NY 98 was so prolific with tornadic cells it was absolutely incredible.

This event with really just 1 tornadic supercell was somewhat like July 1989 with one long track strong tornado from Otsego County NY to New Haven.

Yeah May 31, 1998 was far more impressive if you take the entire body of work from that event. However, since the thread was specifically asking about SNE, then we might have to reconsider. Even for SNE itself, May 31, 1998 had a ton of pretty high end severe reports where as yesterday did not...but obviously the long tracked violent tornado (and multiple other tornado warnings and/or weaker tornadoes) makes up for the lack of aerial coverage in the rest of the severe wx.

But regardless I agree it seems to be about a 1 in 10-15 year event as you mentioned further back.

convection is a pain, but it's probably the most fascinating weather due to its complexity and power. wiz might be irrational to be so into it where he is but it's admirable to do in a sea of snow weenies. timmer is chilling in nw nd tonight with everything popping well south.. even with the pros it's kind of a guessing game.

I would take the blizzards over yesterday... I still am the biggest fan of them.. never been in hurricanes im betting that would be second..

it seems illogical that people who don't want tornadoes would want a hurricane. i guess cause mainland new england hurricanes are a myth?

it seems illogical that people who don't want tornadoes would want a hurricane. i guess cause mainland new england hurricanes are a myth?

Hurricanes are a larger scale phenomenon so you aren't at the whim of chance which can often be the case in convection.

Modis! Yesterday was up there with the best for severe, but Jan 11 has a new place for me. But here's ur Sat shot as things exploded

42d4d0af-5131-7f1a.jpg

Agreed. Tough to call return times on any type of weather phenomena.

This beats the Boxing Day Blizzard for me in terms of just shear interest, the unknowns that we still face with severe wx forecasting, and the meteorology involved. In fact, probably beats all blizzards if you use that metric. I won't forget this day. I mean, how can your jaw not fall to the ground after seeing a possible long track tornado tearing through one of our largest cities, debris ball on radar, and the same cities receiving another tornado.

I never thought in a MILLION years that I'd ever see that type of radar signature on the KBOX radar! TOTALLY AMAZING!!!! A classic hook echo with debris ball??? WOW!!!

--Turtle ;)

Archived