12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Potential significant severe weather Wednesday

earthlight

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed...that anticyclonic shear and well-retreated jet stream also weakened anvil level winds and gave the area overall general descent outside of NY-New England. This was still one of more impressive instability-days/EML events. Either way, I am dissapointed that I pointed out that flaw yesterday but didn't downplay the activity. Oh well, bust for me. I still can't get over what's going on north of the area. Those are impressive supercells! That Springfield tornado video is awesome.

as stated earlier, this year in amazing regarding tornadic activity due not only because of the frequency and ferocity of them but where there hitting ( tuscaloosa, joplin and from the looks of it springfield as well), its like this year just proved to us that our populated areas outside of your typical rural areas can be hit too. its just incredible to say the least about this year

I agree. Too many busted tornado watches of late. At least we weren't in moderate risk this time.

I agree there is always something that screws it up. When there is no watch then there is an epic event like September 16, 2010 with the tornadoes in Brooklyn and Queens.

as stated earlier, this year in amazing regarding tornadic activity due not only because of the frequency and ferocity of them but where there hitting ( tuscaloosa, joplin and from the looks of it springfield as well), its like this year just proved to us that our populated areas outside of your typical rural areas can be hit too. its just incredible to say the least about this year

Amazing cell up there! The debris ball/hook is impressive.

In hindsight, a moderate risk for portions of New England with enhanced tornado probs is what I would have done and perhaps a tornado watch that wasn't so elongated southward into NJ. However, in the end, I think the SPC did the right thing. Earlier this afternoon, we did have several discrete cells in the Hudson Valley into Northeast PA, some rotating with large hail. So some of the original ideas worked out well.

We also knew there would be a screw zone somewhere....:axe:

Amazing cell up there! The debris ball/hook is impressive.

In hindsight, a moderate risk for portions of New England with enhanced tornado probs is what I would have done and perhaps a tornado watch that wasn't so elongated southward into NJ. However, in the end, I think the SPC did the right thing. Earlier this afternoon, we did have several discrete cells in the Hudson Valley into Northeast PA, some rotating with large hail. So some of the original ideas worked out well.

We also knew there would be a screw zone somewhere....:axe:

whats your thought on the cell heading off the jersey coast right now? it looks like its expanding and may be splitting off when it reaches the shore. you think this cell will hold together to hit atleast south shore of li?

We got a few raindrops from the storm in New Brunswick, otherwise nothing to report about. There's nothing coming on the radar so this looks like yet another bust. I remember a tornado watch one day last year that was a complete bust. The sky was clear and the radar had nothing in the entire area all day.

i agree. dont see the point in injuries and property damage.

I think its ok to talk about this now since the threat is pretty much done here, but really there should be some kind of rule about wishing/praying for this kind of stuff. I understand people get excited for different types of weather, but look what happened today. There is a huge amount of damage up there. Get excited over the parameters, be in awe of what can happen, but don't wish and pray for these types of events. People's lives are being ruined/taken here. /End Rant.

I think its ok to talk about this now since the threat is pretty much done here, but really there should be some kind of rule about wishing/praying for this kind of stuff. I understand people get excited for different types of weather, but look what happened today. There is a huge amount of damage up there. Get excited over the parameters, be in awe of what can happen, but don't wish and pray for these types of events. People's lives are being ruined/taken here. /End Rant.

By the same token, it should also be wrong to wish for blizzards because people die in them.

but no one has control over the weather so let them think whatever they want..i dont understand when people root for tornadoes tho..But big tstorms with wind/hail and whatever il be rooting for till death..As well as blizzards and hurricane landfalls..

its just the nature of loving meteorology

but no one has control over the weather so let them think whatever they want..i dont understand when people root for tornadoes tho..But big tstorms with wind/hail and whatever il be rooting for till death..As well as blizzards and hurricane landfalls..

its just the nature of loving meteorology

So you don't understand when people root for tornadoes, but you root for hurricane landfalls? :unsure:

I don't really have a problem with anyone rooting for extreme weather events (including tornadoes and hurricanes); people who love meteorology can admire the awesome power of extreme weather without actually enjoying the deaths, injuries, and property damage that result. And in any case, what people root for is pretty insignificant because it obviously has no effect on what actually takes place, so why not let them root for what they want to?

Golf ball size hail being reported in northern Colts Neck. Here at my house I had 0.08" of rain with no wind and a couple of small hailstones. Par for the course. Radar was way off..showed me in red on radar, didn't even have hvy rain.

My father pretty much said the same, storm was quick also

So you don't understand when people root for tornadoes, but you root for hurricane landfalls? :unsure:

I don't really have a problem with anyone rooting for extreme weather events (including tornadoes and hurricanes); people who love meteorology can admire the awesome power of extreme weather without actually enjoying the deaths, injuries, and property damage that result. And in any case, what people root for is pretty insignificant because it obviously has no effect on what actually takes place, so why not let them root for what they want to?

You have 10 mins to prepare for Tornadoes

You have days to prepare for a hurricane

There's an interesting psychological aspect to it. It's very similar to dare devils, and those who witness stunts... you want the person performing the stunt to do something incredibly dangerous/death defying, but at the same time you want the experience to come out as not tragic in any sense. We all become daredevils when there's severe/threatening weather around, it's just the nature of being on the brink of disaster.

Agreed...that anticyclonic shear and well-retreated jet stream also weakened anvil level winds and gave the area overall general descent outside of the NY-New England corridor. This was still one of more impressive instability-days/EML events. Either way, I am disappointed that I pointed out that flaw yesterday but didn't downplay the activity. Oh well, bust for me. I still can't get over what's going on north of the area. Those are impressive supercells! That Springfield tornado video is awesome.

Yeah I have to say I'm pretty disappointed given this threat seemed to have good potential to produce from 3-5 days ago. Ah well, back to the drawing board. And hopefully w/ us being on the edge of the Plains heat ridge we'll have many more opportunities through June.

That springfield tornado got its act together east of the area...some of the shots of the twister look like it was out in the mid-west...wild year for tornados.

It may have redeveloped and it stayed along the southern edge of the state which is pretty flat compared to the northern part which probably helped keep it alive. Pretty much took the ideal track by starting is westfield east of the berks , getting into the valley, and then plugging east.

Archived