• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
June

LithiaWx

A big load of fail is on the way today for me if FFC is right. I'm the purple dot.....

I'm surprised FFC has the rain chances that far north, but I'm not 100% familiar with the mountains as some of the other Mets. The stalled frontal boundary seems to have pressed to the south of Atlanta and dry air aloft is filtering from the north. I think most of the thunderstorm activity will be south of a La Grange to Macon to Augusta line in Georiga.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we will see another round of storms today, although we don't have a propagating MCS so it looks like it should be more scattered in nature since we don't have as good of a forcing mechanism. However, looking at the CU going up along the Appalachians, stuff should start to initiate by 2-3pm and move southward across the Carolinas again.

GOES15452011157pedgyE.jpg

Screw Job Sunday is on in Central NC :gun_bandana:

No surprise but same goes here..the heat and drought marches on here uninterrupted.

Looks like we will see another round of storms today, although we don't have a propagating MCS so it looks like it should be more scattered in nature since we don't have as good of a forcing mechanism. However, looking at the CU going up along the Appalachians, stuff should start to initiate by 2-3pm and move southward across the Carolinas again.

GOES15452011157pedgyE.jpg

There seems to be an outflow boundary from the convection in sc yesterday over northeast ga. There is fairly aggressive looking cumulus building outside currently. So there could be something in the works for ne ga into the upstate. I can only hope and pray this amounts to something here..the lookout screwzone has been in full effect for well over a month now.

No surprise but same goes here..the heat and drought marches on here uninterrupted.

There seems to be an outflow boundary from the convection in sc yesterday over northeast ga. There is fairly aggressive looking cumulus building outside currently. So there could be something in the works for ne ga into the upstate. I can only hope and pray this amounts to something here..the lookout screwzone has been in full effect for well over a month now.

Looking for even a little bit of rain today also. It's sad when you have to hold out hope for a stray thunderstorm that may or not even develop. Even if it develops there is a good chance we will get missed. Will do the rain dance today a little later I think. :P

Edit : seeing some cumulus clouds developing moving from the ENE to the WSW. I'm curious to see if they stop growing or we get a surprise around here today.

edit 2 : Still building!!!

Looking for even a little bit of rain today also. It's sad when you have to hold out hope for a stray thunderstorm that may or not even develop. Even if it develops there is a good chance we will get missed. Will do the rain dance today a little later I think. :P

Edit : seeing some cumulus clouds developing moving from the ENE to the WSW. I'm curious to see if they stop growing or we get a surprise around here today.

edit 2 : Still building!!!

Hope you get something going for your area today. Like I told Eyewall, I would be glad to give away some of my rain since I've been getting consistently hit with severe storms and such. With those storms that have already fired, hopefully one will make it to your area.

In other news, I'm becoming a tad more interested in the developing low pressure down in the Caribbean. It's beginning to look a bit better organized and might end up becoming a depression sometime soon. Models take it either toward the Atlantic or the Gulf.

http://gwxmanblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/slight-chance-of-storms-today-better.html

The storm in NE Georgia is at 43k feet and still growing. I would imagine a Severe T-storm warning will be issued soon for that cell. If that complex holds together it is on a line to impact metro Atlanta. fingers crossed!

And so it has been prompted:

The National Weather Service in Peachtree City has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...

western Lumpkin County in north central Georgia

Southern Union County in north central Georgia

* until 500 PM EDT

* at 432 PM EDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a

severe thunderstorm capable of producing quarter sized hail. This

storm was located near Suches... moving southwest at 40 mph.

* Other locations in the warning include but are not limited to

Dahlonega.

From the looks of its path, it appears to be taking a turn more toward your area. Could be in store for something later.

Union County, GA

Severe Thunderstorm

62 dBZ

Severe Hail: 50% Chance

Hail: 100% Chance

Max Hail Size: 1.50"

Top: 44,000 ft.

VIL: 65 kg/m²

From the looks of its path, it appears to be taking a turn more toward your area. Could be in store for something later.

Wow I hope so like many others in the area it has been woefully dry. I just hope the thing holds together. I hate being such a weenie about it but rain is so precious right now and we need every drop we can get.

Wow I hope so like many others in the area it has been woefully dry. I just hope the thing holds together. I hate being such a weenie about it but rain is so precious right now and we need every drop we can get.

If there's ever a time we need rain its this time of year. That sun dries things up so quickly. It would be nice to get a widespread soaking run but I guess we won't get that unless we have a tropical storm or hurricane.

The storm in NE Georgia is at 43k feet and still growing. I would imagine a Severe T-storm warning will be issued soon for that cell. If that complex holds together it is on a line to impact metro Atlanta. fingers crossed!

A post similiar to this one failed big time yesterday. :P But I'm right here with you... Was out all day and I see that coming for us :pepsi:.

Nice Hail Core in Northern Georgia... generally heading towards Jasper, GA.

Come to Papa. :wub:

A post similiar to this one failed big time yesterday. :P But I'm right here with you... Was out all day and I see that coming for us :pepsi:.

lmao, this one has a better chance than yesterday, but I think it's general direction now takes it to my west. Earlier in the day I was thinking this storm would slide to the east. fun stuff.....

lmao, this one has a better chance than yesterday, but I think it's general direction now takes it to my west. Earlier in the day I was thinking this storm would slide to the east. fun stuff.....

Yeah it may go a tad west of me too... Looks real juicy on radar though.

The pains bay fire is now being deemed "virtually impossible" to extinguish. It has made it deep into the ground and is spreading with little hope of full containment. Mornings are rough sometime with smoke making its way inland and it clears up in the afternoon. Now saying this one will burn through the summer unless we see some substantial rain in the coming weeks.

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2011/may/06/166/highway-264-dare-county-shut-down-wildfire-ar-1011002/

One month fighting this wildfire and still no end in sight, the flames themselves vanishing as they begin to burn underground. Firefighters say putting the fire out on their own might no longer be an option.

In just over 48 hours the Pains Bay wildfire takes a turn for the worse, burning more than 15,000 acres. Containment drops from 85 to 65 percent and the firefighter’s day grows even longer.

"There are a lot of areas on this fire that we haven't been on,” said Steve Thompson, Strike Team Leader and Firefighter.

With the 44,000 acre fire now in areas unreachable by firefighters, they say it’s virtually impossible to extinguish the flames on their own.

Here in Baton Rouge, we now have had afternoon summertime weather patterns three days in a row. We get Gulf moisture coming inland and reacting with daytime heating to set off thunderstorms most afternoons in the summer. They usually begin around 2pm or 3pm, and can last a couple of hours, sometimes up into the evenong. Given that we've been drought-stricken of late, it's good to have summertime patterns starting finally.

Archived