• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

Some pretty nice forecast soundings over eastern Iowa late tomorrow afternoon. I think we're going to be okay as far as deep shear profiles for supercells, but the million dollar question remains just how unstable will it get before the weak CINH gives way. If we manage to get as unstable as some of the guidance has indicated over the past day or two (>2500j/kg) we'll have ourselves a very nice setup. Some of the guidance has forecast cape values above 3500j/kg as well. If that were to happen we'll have a pretty serious setup for tornadoes I think. :popcorn:

Eastern Iowa tomorrow at 21z.

NAM_218_2011052118_F27_41.5000N_91.5000W.png

90 degrees of turning from just off the surface up to 600mb. Very nice!

NAM_218_2011052118_F27_41.5000N_91.5000W_HODO_SM.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personal fame? glory? the rush? 99% of folks would not chase storms if it was not "fun" just to "save lives"... dont pretend. ;)

My thought is that I don't wish for damages from storms, but if it's going to happen anyway, I wanna see it!

Yeah, and there should be no shame in admitting it.

Unfortunately, there's certainly pressure from the media (and even a certain contingent of veterans, perhaps) to portray oneself this way, lest you be labeled a yahoo.

I think having chasers out there is a net plus either way, but you certainly don't hear of chaser parties on bust days because no one was put in harms way etc. I'm mostly an outsider, would not consider myself a chaser at this pt.. more an observer. But, it's clear that everyone wants to see action... and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. It happens whether or not someone observes it.

btw: i spent like an hour on your site yesterday.. im having a pre mid-life crisis.

Although the model itself has not been very good in its first ten hours since initialization, here is the link to the 00z Monday WRF:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/hiresw/12/images/hiresw_ref_036m.gif

As you can see it has a good squall line plowing through Wisconsin and N. Illinois at that point, similar to the one shown several posts above, though slightly further east at that same time.

As I take a look at all the guidance, including the 18z models, most if not all have the squall line (derecho) plowing across the Mississippi River into Wisconsin. It is impressive that even the less bullish NAM has it, although it appears to show only rain showers (no bright convection shown on the simulation).

Some pretty nice forecast soundings over eastern Iowa late tomorrow afternoon. I think we're going to be okay as far as deep shear profiles for supercells, but the million dollar question remains just how unstable will it get before the weak CINH gives way. If we manage to get as unstable as some of the guidance has indicated over the past day or two (>2500j/kg) we'll have ourselves a very nice setup. Some of the guidance has forecast cape values above 3500j/kg as well. If that were to happen we'll have a pretty serious setup for tornadoes I think. :popcorn:

Eastern Iowa tomorrow at 21z.

NAM_218_2011052118_F27_41.5000N_91.5000W.png

90 degrees of turning from just off the surface up to 600mb. Very nice!

NAM_218_2011052118_F27_41.5000N_91.5000W_HODO_SM.png

So why do you think all the weather offices are downplaying any possible tornado threat? The only office that seriously considers it is Duluth, for the NW Wisconsin counties up near the low.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOPEKA KS

608 PM CDT SAT MAY 21 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TOPEKA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN DOUGLAS COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL KANSAS...

EXTREME NORTHEASTERN OSAGE COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL KANSAS...

SHAWNEE COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL KANSAS...

SOUTHWESTERN JEFFERSON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS...

* UNTIL 700 PM CDT

* AT 604 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A FUNNEL

CLOUD. THIS SEVERE STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR AUBURN...OR 9 MILES

SOUTHWEST OF TOPEKA...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

PAULINE...

TOPEKA...

BERRYTON...

RICHLAND...

TECUMSEH...

GRANTVILLE...

So why do you think all the weather offices are downplaying any possible tornado threat? The only office that seriously considers it is Duluth, for the NW Wisconsin counties up near the low.

Setup is a little messy so probably wise to not go overboard yet. Potential is certainly there though as you can see on the forecast soundings.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOPEKA KS

624 PM CDT SAT MAY 21 2011

KSC045-087-139-177-220000-

/O.CON.KTOP.TO.W.0009.000000T0000Z-110522T0000Z/

SHAWNEE-OSAGE-JEFFERSON-DOUGLAS-

624 PM CDT SAT MAY 21 2011

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM CDT FOR

NORTHWESTERN DOUGLAS...SOUTHWESTERN JEFFERSON...EXTREME NORTHEASTERN

OSAGE AND SHAWNEE COUNTIES...

AT 618 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD.

THIS FUNNEL CLOUD WAS LOCATED IN SOUTH TOPEKA...MOVING EAST AT

25 MPH.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM WITH A HISTORY OF PRODUCING NUMEROUS

FUNNELS AND BASEBALL SIZE HAIL. SEEK SHELTER NOW!

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

PAULINE...SOUTH CENTRAL TOPEKA...FORBES FIELD...BERRYTON...BILLARD

AIRPORT...RICHLAND...TECUMSEH AND GRANTVILLE.

THIS INCLUDES THE KANSAS TURNPIKE BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 165 AND 193.

Not to be a debby downer but I am a little concerned about all the low-level cold pools NAM is trying to paint across the warm sector tomorrow. If a line happens to orient itself E-W it might cut off moist inflow for storms to the north. That could be a potential fly in the ointment. Initiation could be fairly early as well, when the low-level flow is not very strong. So the setup will likely be messy, but as Hoosier says, the potential is there.

O.CON.KTOP.TO.W.0009.000000T0000Z-110522T0000Z/

SHAWNEE-JEFFERSON-DOUGLAS-

650 PM CDT SAT MAY 21 2011

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM CDT FOR

NORTHWESTERN DOUGLAS...SOUTHWESTERN JEFFERSON AND EAST CENTRAL

SHAWNEE COUNTIES...

AT 646 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO.

THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NORTHEAST OF BILLARD AIRPORT...MOVING

NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

SEEK SHELTER NOW! THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM! BASEBALL SIZE HAIL

IS ALSO LIKELY!

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

GRANTVILLE.

THIS INCLUDES THE KANSAS TURNPIKE BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 179 AND 193.

It is getting surprisingly active this evening in parts of the MO Valley and OK as the LLj revs up.

Agreed, the LLJ is certainly stronger than I thought it might be tonight, though from an unfavorable/favorable direction for most areas (depends on how you look at it).

Archived