amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NC/VA Sunday Snow Threat

MillzPirate

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the sfc low position on the nam is much better for NC than the gfs. we would want that sfc low to go through northern SC, preferably all this comes at night.

Got to admit...the NAM raised my eyebrows just a bit, but closer inspection of the thicknesses showed that this is not quite cold enough for most of us. However, this run look almost perfect for the mtns of NC/TN. Might just be up for a chase on this one if later model runs hold serve.

Got to admit...the NAM raised my eyebrows just a bit, but closer inspection of the thicknesses showed that this is not quite cold enough for most of us. However, this run look almost perfect for the mtns of NC/TN. Might just be up for a chase on this one if later model runs hold serve.

It's kinda rare to see a clipper come this far south in early december also. Not that surprising given the NAO though. It's so low that this actually makes sense.

probably going to be a virga storm here by Saturday morning. The GFS is pretty quick with the warm advection moisture, but the low levels should be bone dry. I wouldn't rule out flurries or sleet at times if anything makes it to the ground, before low levels warm up just a little too much.

probably going to be a virga storm here by Saturday morning. The GFS is pretty quick with the warm advection moisture, but the low levels should be bone dry. I wouldn't rule out flurries or sleet at times if anything makes it to the ground, before low levels warm up just a little too much.

Check your messenger when you get a chance robert.

the GFS looks a smidge colder for the Monday cold advection. It keeps strong cold advection through the day, so temps won't go anywhere Monday in NC, and very little in SC and GA. Now Shelby looks like it will barely reach freezing on Monday afternoon. If that happens, it would be pretty incredible for so early in December. Hickory and Asheville are a lock on this run to be less than Freezing it appears. By 00Z , -12 is most of westrn and central NC. I may have to dig up last years Jan and Feb outbreak to see what the coldest values were then, this is very impressive cold air. Just glanced a little closer and northern tier counties of GA are also subfreezing for high temps on Monday. Amazing cold shot for so early.

I am not really excited about this one at all. There is too much working against us this time.

1. Vort max is proged to pass too far north along the NC/VA border

2. Partials are marginal and model soundings show it being dry in a portion dendritic growth zone (upper region).

3. Limited QPF would imply a precip rate driven event would not work out too well

4. Ground temps are too warm for much in the way of accumulation, especially with light snow.

I just don't feel good about most clipper-type systems and this is one of them.

I am not really excited about this one at all. There is too much working against us this time.

2. Partials are marginal and model soundings show it being dry in a portion dendritic growth zone (upper region).

3. Limited QPF would imply a precip rate driven event would not work out too well

4. Ground temps are too warm for much in the way of accumulation, especially with light snow.

Agree this thing as currently modeled is just blah......the only way it turns into anything is if the models bust and its further south and stronger-----and we all know how oftan storms actually bust in our favor :arrowhead::thumbsdown::rolleyes:

12z NAM coming in and it shows > .2 liquid for a good portion of central NC. I do agree with you (don't trust clippers) but we can hope.

I agree with points 2 and 4, but I think the vort max is not really a necessary driving force for the precipitation development with this system. The primary lift will be provided by being on the left exit region of a 110 knot jet streak located over the Midwest.

258pmd2.gif

For your third point, I think if the event occurs in the overnight hour periods (which looks more likely for eastern North Carolina) the precipitation rate doesn't have to be as high to get good accumulating snowfall. Sure the warm ground will hurt in this regard, but I don't think its out of the question to expect some minor accumulations as the moisture spreads over the region.

Nam drops .32 in hky with 850's sitting b/n -2 and -4. Also with sfc temps b/n 31 and 34. Would probably be snow, but i haven't seen the bkt soundings yet to verify. This has certainly sparked my interest now. This is going to blitz the mountains and wouldn't be surprised to se 1-2 inches in the foothills if the sfc low placement is right.

I agree with points 2 and 4, but I think the vort max is not really a necessary driving force for the precipitation development with this system. The primary lift will be provided by being on the right exit region of a 110 knot jet streak located over the Midwest.

I hope you mean LEFT exit region. The right exit region is not favorable for upward motions.

I agree with points 2 and 4, but I think the vort max is not really a necessary driving force for the precipitation development with this system. The primary lift will be provided by being on the right exit region of a 110 knot jet streak located over the Midwest.

258pmd2.gif

For your third point, I think if the event occurs in the overnight hour periods (which looks more likely for eastern North Carolina) the precipitation rate doesn't have to be as high to get good accumulating snowfall. Sure the warm ground will hurt in this regard, but I don't think its out of the question to expect some minor accumulations as the moisture spreads over the region.

I agree with your point about the Jet Streak (I think you meant left exit) that would certainly work in our favor as would the overnight timing but I just don't feel comfortable being close to the line with the partials.

I hope you mean LEFT exit region. The right exit region is not favorable for upward motions.

I hope your right about this coming north a bit :snowman: , NAM back to putting down a swath of >0.25" totals. Package come through somewhat consolidated, and the weak vorticity streak present on last nights run, creating the min near the NC VA boarder, is now over MS and weaker.

12znamp24_SE054.gif

nam_500_042s.gif

Allan, what type of algorithm do the snow maps on your site use, is it a 10:1 ratio with SN flag on, or something different?

Archived