amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NC/VA Sunday Snow Threat

MillzPirate

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z NAm is probably all snow for RDU by about 3z Sunday (10pm), and the whole column is below freezing by 1am (6z). Taken literally probably a dusting for the Triangle and a 1-2 incher for the Va border.

Since the system is coming in during the afternoon and evening, boundary layer warmth will be an issue initially. I do think the northern mountains and Va could see light to moderate event.

I would take a dusting right about now. Just seeing some flakes in the air would be nice.

the qpf on the GFS is almost neglible east of the mountains. It has the .10" and greater amounts from around RDU to the east central coast plain , and again around the central and northern mountains. the rest of NC is trace amount. Northeast TN, extreme western VA, and southern 2/3 of WV, and points northwest have a .25" or greater amount, which is fairly typical of clippers,and their 1"-3" snow, possibly some 4" under a good axis.The higher elevations of the western slopes of the Apps should get a good couple inches. Eastern Ky usually gets tops,and southern Wv.

the qpf on the GFS is almost neglible east of the mountains. It has the .10" and greater amounts from around RDU to the east central coast plain , and again around the central and northern mountains. the rest of NC is trace amount. Northeast TN, extreme western VA, and southern 2/3 of WV, and points northwest have a .25" or greater amount, which is fairly typical of clippers,and their 1"-3" snow, possibly some 4" under a good axis.The higher elevations of the western slopes of the Apps should get a good couple inches. Eastern Ky usually gets tops,and southern Wv.

Yeah, major shadow for those of us in the western piedmont. I never expect anything from a clipper unless it swings far enough south to get BNA.

Yeah, major shadow for those of us in the western piedmont. I never expect anything from a clipper unless it swings far enough south to get BNA.

yeah, on the 3 hour panels I saw several increments of a gap over the western piedmont. The GFS is pretty good at showing downslope. Usually south of 40 doesn't get into any clippers, except possibly the actual cold front when it passes, with sprinkles. Usually we're partly cloudy as warm frontal advection lies right along 40 or north of there, in a nw to se trajectory. The southwest piedmont around where I am could get gusty and much warmer than ares just to the northeast of here. Good observation on BNA..thats usually what I look at too or western Tn. After that, we're in for a lengthy cool spell, so the pattern has finally changed.

This definitely seems to be setting up as an early-season App special. What's new? I love it, but I'm ready to set up a refuge on a high, west-facing slope for my Carolina friends on here who never seem to see snow.

Case in point: My girlfriend and I met after she moved from Wilmington, NC, this summer. She has never seen more than three inches of snow at once in her life, which by local standards is a rather disappointing upslope event. I'm hoping she will see her first four-inch plus storm this weekend, between the initial activity and upslope afterward.

The models are looking interesting with this clipper system no doubt, but these types of system climatologically rarely bring significant snows east of the mountains. I can only 1-2 instances where they have surprised me and hit Raleigh with 1-3" but usually this was deeper into the winter with colder ground and surface temperatures where snowfall was maximized very high snow to liquid ratios. Non-the less it has my full attention now!

NAM is going crazy now the the snow QPF

CONUS1_ETA212_SFC_ACCUM-SNOWFALL_84HR.gif

From MHX for my area Sat night

Saturday Night: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

:thumbsup:

Same with my area. RDU states that the ground temps will be too high to see any accumulation. I agree, but also I think with a couple of days of daytime temps in the 40s and nights in the 20s everything above ground (trees, cars, etc.) is fare game.

Hazardous Weather OutlookHAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOKNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC533 AM EST THU DEC 2 2010NCZ007>011-021>028-038>043-073>078-083>086-088-089-031045-PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-STANLY-MONTGOMERY-MOORE-LEE-HARNETT-WAYNE-ANSON-RICHMOND-SCOTLAND-HOKE-CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-533 AM EST THU DEC 2 2010THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA..DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE AND ASSOCIATED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILLTRACK SOUTHEAST FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST INTO THE TENNESSEE VALLEY ONSATURDAY...AND THROUGH THE CAROLINAS SATURDAY NIGHT. LIGHTPRECIPITATION WILL BE POSSIBLE AS THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKSSOUTHEAST ALONG OR NEAR THE SOUTH CAROLINA BORDER. TEMPERATURES MAYBE COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT SNOW OR A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOWSATURDAY NIGHT...PRIMARILY IN THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT. DUE TORELATIVELY WARM GROUND TEMPERATURES AND THE EXPECTED LIGHT NATUREOF ANY PRECIPITATION...NO ACCUMULATIONS ARE ANTICIPATED AT THISTIME.$$VINCENT

Great point, However, the thought of December or so what "bust" is rolling around here in the SE. - VA that is..

But yes, I would love to see some flakes a flying

I think the 'big deal" here is not how much snow anyone gets -- outside of maybe some lite accums in the mountains-- it's just the idea of the first flakes finally falling for many.

I think the 'big deal" here is not how much snow anyone gets -- outside of maybe some lite accums in the mountains-- it's just the idea of the first flakes finally falling for many.

I agree, any opportunity to see dendrites falling here is a big deal to me, especially this early in the season, and the first ones... Overnight and early AM QPF maps from some of the guidance, not much to work with, a tenth or two.

6z GFS

06zgfsp72int096.gif

6z NAM

06znamp72int084.gif

3z SREF

03zsrefp24_SE084.gif

0z GGEM

00zggemp96_SE096.gif

Somebody please change the title of this thread to include TN :angry: :angry:

Why do we keep being ignored in thread titles?:gun_bandana:

:whistle:

No need to get angry Skip, pm MilzPirate, he started the thread, and is the only one who can edit his first post and update the title. The upcoming first sig upslope event of the season is deserving of it's own thread imo... :snowman:

No need to get angry Skip, pm MilzPirate, he started the thread, and is the only one who can edit his first post and update the title. The upcoming first sig upslope event of the season is deserving of it's own thread imo... :snowman:

Not angry, just frustrated with threads ignoring most of the SE. But I agree, with the upslope thread :thumbsup:

^yup- at 66 hours most of the precip is now from the Triangle south...as opposed to north.

At some point we need this trend to stop, or we may need to rename this thread SC snow threat. :arrowhead: This run takes a pretty wide swatch of 0.25" through the southern half of NC, plenty cold enough here as the precip is to the south :lol:

Arguably the most interesting panel of the run...

12znamp06thickpmsl_MA066.gif

reduced.updated.nomogram.labels.png

While I am just about where that x is for the QPF max I would definitely need those partials to look a bit better if I were to see any flakes. Of course this is not something to take verbatim and it will change again.

Archived