Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2011 NYC metro area obs./discussion

tmagan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High of 70.1F downtown when the sunshine peeked through the gray this afternoon, so slightly above average but didn't hit the NWS forecast from yesterday (75F) or today (72F).

Has now clouded over again and we're at 65.8/59....there are some decent cells forming in Central PA but they will probably die off as they approach the more stable SE winds with the sun declining. Expecting a couple tenths of rain from the front and then much cooler conditions with low dewpoints tomorrow. Looks like below average temperatures move back in for Wednesday/Thursday.

EDIT: that temperature chart is awesome!

High of 70.1F downtown when the sunshine peeked through the gray this afternoon, so slightly above average but didn't hit the NWS forecast from yesterday (75F) or today (72F).

Has now clouded over again and we're at 65.8/59....there are some decent cells forming in Central PA but they will probably die off as they approach the more stable SE winds with the sun declining. Expecting a couple tenths of rain from the front and then much cooler conditions with low dewpoints tomorrow. Looks like below average temperatures move back in for Wednesday/Thursday.

EDIT: that temperature chart is awesome!

Looks pretty solid after that. NWS has the city at upper 60s to 70 through Tues, which is right around average if not slightly above.

Looks pretty solid after that. NWS has the city at upper 60s to 70 through Tues, which is right around average if not slightly above.

Yeah it looks like a slight warm-up for the weekend with upper 60s, and then a clipper moves through and brings come cool weather/showers again. Nothing way below normal on the doorstep, but most of the big heat has stayed in the Southern Plains this April/early May as per Niña climo.

We certainly aren't looking any torches in the face...today looks to be the warmest of the next week. Long-range shows some heat building into the nation's mid-section but we could be battling an ULL anchored off the New England/Mid-Atlantic coast.

First day home for summer, hit 84F in SE PA and 80F here in Monmouth. Very warm/humid day. Sea breeze made it here around 6pm; temps now in the upper 60s.

Congrats on finishing up the academic year. What are your plans for this summer?

Sharp gradient around the area with parts of interior NJ pushing into the 80-85F range whereas coastal locations of Westchester and LI were struggling to get out of the 60s.

Congrats on finishing up the academic year. What are your plans for this summer?

Sharp gradient around the area with parts of interior NJ pushing into the 80-85F range whereas coastal locations of Westchester and LI were struggling to get out of the 60s.

Thanks man! I'm most likely going to be working for an environmental planner, doing a lot of field work. Yeah big gradient in Monmouth County as well; near 70 inland and 55 on the coast right now. That's spring for you.

I'll take a couple more weeks of these comfortable temps but I personally can't wait to get summer wx started w/ sustained 80s+ and T-storm threats.

I'll take a couple more weeks of these comfortable temps but I personally can't wait to get summer wx started w/ sustained 80s+ and T-storm threats.

It may be a while before that happens...GFS and ECM have been advertising a cut-off near the coast in the longer range keeping our temperatures down. It also looks as if the NAO and AO going more negative sweeps the heat out of North America on most of the modeling. I am not buying any torch before June...

It may be a while before that happens...GFS and ECM have been advertising a cut-off near the coast in the longer range keeping our temperatures down. It also looks as if the NAO and AO going more negative sweeps the heat out of North America on most of the modeling. I am not buying any torch before June...

Also with MJO forecast to be in phases 7 and 8, in the next few weeks, I don't think we'll be seeing any major torches and good severe wx threats until at least the end of the May.

Good. Cold and rain is the best thing for my allergies. Bring it. I'll be in Riviera Maya from May 22-29 which is also is a good place to be for allergies this time of year. By early June the allergy season subsides and I am good to go.:thumbsup:

Archived