gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
May 2011 NYC metro area obs./discussion

tmagan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The long range doesn't offer too much hope of any real summertime heat, which I really am looking forward to. I like the hot weather... don't get me wrong though.. these days of 65-75 degrees are very nice.. I just want the nights to be warm also so I can just go outside in shorts.

Looks like near normal temperatures through Day 10 on the 12z ECM/GFS with highs mostly in the mid 60s with lows in the upper 40s for Westchester. Monday-Wednesday of next week look to be the most promising with wall-to-wall sunshine, although 850mb temperatures near 4C don't support any big-time heat. I'm hoping the heat ridge over the Southern Plains can bubble towards us a bit more with the cut-off being farther from the coast to our northeast.

The long range doesn't offer too much hope of any real summertime heat, which I really am looking forward to. I like the hot weather... don't get me wrong though.. these days of 65-75 degrees are very nice.. I just want the nights to be warm also so I can just go outside in shorts.

That would be a bust for earthlight. He has been calling for torch for weeks. This summer looks like an 09 repeat to me.

why, because it has been so dry lately? LOL

We haven't been doubling monthly precip totals in NYC lately. It's been above avg, but not by a significant amount. April '11 was just over 1" above average in NYC, and March was +1.8". For May NYC has gotten exactly a half inch (May avg is ~4.7"), and with not much precip (if any) expected in the next 7 days, it is going to have to be pretty rainy for the rest of the month after that to hit that number.

I'd go with not quite as warm as summer '10 (but wetter) and not quite as wet as summer '09 (but warmer).

We haven't been doubling monthly precip totals in NYC lately. It's been above avg, but not by a significant amount. April '11 was just over 1" above average in NYC, and March was +1.8". For May NYC has gotten exactly a half inch (May avg is ~4.7"), and with not much precip (if any) expected in the next 7 days, it is going to have to be pretty rainy for the rest of the month after that to hit that number.

I'd go with not quite as warm as summer '10 (but wetter) and not quite as wet as summer '09 (but warmer).

Lolz way to go out on a limb

UHI doing its dirty work tonight; clear skies calm winds.

Currently 57F in NYC, meanwhile I'm at 44.1F here in Colts Neck with the heat on. Radiating nicely; winds decoupled immediately after sunset.

40.3F now, already down to my forecasted low. Maybe I can manage some patchy frost.

Live out in Elko for a couple years and then you'll learn a thing or two about "dry as ****" ;)

Nevada is awesome in the summer, especially in the mountains/high desert. Every day is in the 70s to low 80s, and the dry air makes outdoor activities like hiking a cinch. You just have to remember to drink lots of fluids because you don't feel sweaty compared to summertime exercise in the Northeast. I was in the East Humboldt Range around Wells, NV for 5 days last summer as we discussed, and I loved the airmass we were in...long, sunny days and crisp, cool nights. It rained once in the mountains to the tune of perhaps a quarter inch or so, but the town only seemed to have had sporadic showers a couple of thousand feet lower in elevation. Except for the rainy night, every evening made it down into the 40s in short order, great radiational cooling in a rural environment at 7000' with extremely low relative humidity. Being out west in MT, NV, and UT last summer made me appreciate the Rocky Mountain warm season, which is incredibly pleasant compared to the stagnant, humid, hazy airmasses that define most summers near NYC.

40.3F now, already down to my forecasted low. Maybe I can manage some patchy frost.

49.3/34 here, chilly night for the first week of May though nothing unusual. Putnam County, which begins about 20 miles north of me, has a frost advisory for the wee hours. I bought eggplants and peppers today for my garden, but decided to stick them in the garage instead of planting them due to the unusually crisp night. It just sucks that we run out of these refreshingly cool nights by mid-June here in NYC's northern suburbs....would like to have a few of these beauties interspersed throughout the summer.

You radiate exceptionally well in Monmouth County, very impressive. I would assume you are at pretty low elevation in a flatland. Westchester tends not to radiate as well since it is so hilly and fairly developed in this part of the county. My house is on a hill around 350' ASL, so it is really hard to radiate here.

The GFS ensembles are suggesting a much cooler weather and a perhaps a storm somewhere over the East Coast in about 10 days.With a huge, deep-layer trough in the East. The -AO,-NAO,+PNA and MJO in phases 7/8 all support it:

definitely looks like an anamolous set-up... the global ensembles have a good part of the midatlantic up through the northeast in the 4-8 C range at 850 during that time.. even into parts of the southeast.. probably would have greatest news in the south with perhaps some record low temps if they get ideal radiational cooling conditions.

If a storm does happen to form, would be an interesting set-up for maybe some record low highs with extensive cloud cover.. otherwise, record lows at night is probably the best bet at this point across the southeast.

So no 180hr heatwave?

looks like May 12th - 13th offers the best sign of really warm weather. Inland areas have a shot at 80+ it would seem so long as we get a fairly good west to southwest synoptic flow and good mixing. 850 temps are in the neighborhood of 13-15C. That would put us in the upper 70's to lower 80's.

upton is going 50-60% chance pops tomorrow.... I mean.. it's a fairly decent shortwave moving through, but it's also a bit sheared out. In actuality, the amount of vorticity in our area during the day doesn't really increase and in fact heights do begin to rise a bit late in the day. I'm not sure that this is the type of upper level system capable of 50-60% pops, but I could be wrong. It will definitely be unstable with very steep lapse rates, but I don't think it will amount to much more than a lot of building CU and a few widely scattered showers.

Nevada is awesome in the summer, especially in the mountains/high desert. Every day is in the 70s to low 80s, and the dry air makes outdoor activities like hiking a cinch. You just have to remember to drink lots of fluids because you don't feel sweaty compared to summertime exercise in the Northeast. I was in the East Humboldt Range around Wells, NV for 5 days last summer as we discussed, and I loved the airmass we were in...long, sunny days and crisp, cool nights. It rained once in the mountains to the tune of perhaps a quarter inch or so, but the town only seemed to have had sporadic showers a couple of thousand feet lower in elevation. Except for the rainy night, every evening made it down into the 40s in short order, great radiational cooling in a rural environment at 7000' with extremely low relative humidity. Being out west in MT, NV, and UT last summer made me appreciate the Rocky Mountain warm season, which is incredibly pleasant compared to the stagnant, humid, hazy airmasses that define most summers near NYC.

49.3/34 here, chilly night for the first week of May though nothing unusual. Putnam County, which begins about 20 miles north of me, has a frost advisory for the wee hours. I bought eggplants and peppers today for my garden, but decided to stick them in the garage instead of planting them due to the unusually crisp night. It just sucks that we run out of these refreshingly cool nights by mid-June here in NYC's northern suburbs....would like to have a few of these beauties interspersed throughout the summer.

You radiate exceptionally well in Monmouth County, very impressive. I would assume you are at pretty low elevation in a flatland. Westchester tends not to radiate as well since it is so hilly and fairly developed in this part of the county. My house is on a hill around 350' ASL, so it is really hard to radiate here.

Yeah I noticed an interesting difference b/t here and at school in terms of radiational cooling. Villanova's elevation is 480ft, while here I'm at about 100ft, less hilly, and more rural. Pretty big temp differences at night.

My low was 37.1 this morning, no frost though. Not bad foran early May morning, althoughI've gotten down to 32F in mid May before.

The GFS ensembles are suggesting a much cooler weather and a perhaps a storm somewhere over the East Coast in about 10 days.With a huge, deep-layer trough in the East. The -AO,-NAO,+PNA and MJO in phases 7/8 all support it:

GFS is wrong, go with the Euro. Looks like 70's for the next 10+ days for NJ. Awesome weather.

Archived