Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2011 NYC metro area obs./discussion

tmagan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like all the models did a bad job with qpf amounts. Chilly rainy day. Why did the models have this much trouble?

Yep, and when I posted that it was hard to believe that we weren't going to even see measurable precip according to the NAM and that it was most likely wrong I got laughed at. The SREF actually had the best handle on this.

Seems like all the models did a bad job with qpf amounts. Chilly rainy day. Why did the models have this much trouble?

I thought the models would get better ,since we are done with winter. I guess I was wrong though. They are having a lot of trouble for some reason. Maybe it's because of La NIna. I remember someone mentioning that the models have trouble in La Nina years.

I don't know that amounts are going to be all that crazy, especially west of the city. the heavy stuff seems to be setting up over LI. the GFS has .35 for EWR and may end up close to that all said and done.

what run was that of the gfs? Seems the last few days the models wanted to dry this preciep up. Not saying we are getting floods, but overall it seem like poor model performance. Two bust for the Nam this week. Rain and monday temps

I don't know that amounts are going to be all that crazy, especially west of the city. the heavy stuff seems to be setting up over LI. the GFS has .35 for EWR and may end up close to that all said and done.

I'm well west of the city and I was already at 0.5"+ when I left my house at 7:45 this morning. Looks like most people will end up with around an inch depending on where the heavier stuff down in south Jersey ends up. LI looks like it will be getting the brunt of it but more is developing underneath a bit of a dry slot which has formed over alot of northern NJ.

This morning's run had .35 for EWR and .37 for MMU, but I agree the NAM has been a disaster regarding QPF amounts

what run was that of the gfs? Seems the last few days the models wanted to dry this preciep up. Not saying we are getting floods, but overall it seem like poor model performance. Two bust for the Nam this week. Rain and monday temps

I'm well west of the city and I was already at 0.5"+ when I left my house at 7:45 this morning. Looks like most people will end up with around an inch depending on where the heavier stuff down in south Jersey ends up. LI looks like it will be getting the brunt of it but more is developing underneath a bit of a dry slot which has formed over alot of northern NJ.

Looks to me as if the heavier stuff in South-Central NJ is consolidating and will begin to train over NYC metro in the next couple hours. Have only recorded 0.22" here in Southern Westchester but expect to receive quite a bit more from that banding.

Looks to me as if the heavier stuff in South-Central NJ is consolidating and will begin to train over NYC metro in the next couple hours. Have only recorded 0.22" here in Southern Westchester but expect to receive quite a bit more from that banding.

large area of 0.25"+ per hour estimated amounts developing down there. It still looks like that will mostly stay east of the city, but heavier bands are developing again in northern DE and that has a chance at making west of the city or into the city itself. Either way, its going to be a soaker through early afternoon.

Upton's zone updates are rather strange... For some reason, they have decided to mention that temps will fall into the upper 40's to around 50 in some of the zones, while others, just leaving a high of the lower 60's. For example, here in Rockland, they didn't mention temps falling, but in Westchester they did. Eastern Bergen they had temps falling, but not in western Bergen....... really strange!

Upton's zone updates are rather strange... For some reason, they have decided to mention that temps will fall into the upper 40's to around 50 in some of the zones, while others, just leaving a high of the lower 60's. For example, here in Rockland, they didn't mention temps falling, but in Westchester they did. Eastern Bergen they had temps falling, but not in western Bergen....... really strange!

They just have a high of 50F for the afternoon today here in Dobbs Ferry:

This Afternoon: Showers, mainly before 4pm. Steady temperature around 50.

They are also only calling for .1-.25" rainfall, which may be a bit low. We'll see if that stuff in NJ makes it here.

Official high was 60.7F earlier today before temperatures began rapidly falling in moderate rain.

They just have a high of 50F for the afternoon today here in Dobbs Ferry:

This Afternoon: Showers, mainly before 4pm. Steady temperature around 50.

They are also only calling for .1-.25" rainfall, which may be a bit low. We'll see if that stuff in NJ makes it here.

Official high was 60.7F earlier today before temperatures began rapidly falling in moderate rain.

they updated now and makes more sense, but it didn't make much sense during there 10:00 update.

Archived