• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
May 2011 general discussion/obs thread

Powerball

What? One day wonders then back to NE winds after a front slides down the lake? That's what it REALLY seems like this year. Every warm spell was only 1 day long.

The thing about this spring that has me down is there have been precious few late spring days: 60s, sunshine kind of days. Also, when it has torched, most of the severe convection has been focused north or south of here. These, combined with the number of 40 degree, rain, wind, raw kind of days makes this just about the worst spring I can remember.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

old but good stuff from LOT

THE LARGER CHALLENGE WILL BE THE PROXIMITY OF A RING-OF-FIRE SETTING

UP ACROSS THE CENTRAL PLAINS AND SLIDING ALONG THE NORTHERN

PERIPHERY OF THE RIDGE. THIS PATTERN IS CONDUCIVE OF PRODUCING A

SERIES OF MCS...WITH ABUNDANT LLVL MOISTURE BEING ADVECTED INTO THE

CENTRAL PLAINS.

THIS SYSTEM TAKES ON A SIMILAR CHARACTERISTICS TO THE SERIES OF

COMPLEXES OF THUNDERSTORMS THAT WERE NOTED IN JULY OF 2010...WHICH PRODUCED

FLOODING OVER PORTIONS OF IOWA/WISCONSIN/ILLINOIS. PRIOR TO THIS

MUCH OF THE U.S. EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER WAS IN THE MIDST OF

WIDESPREAD HEAT AND HUMIDITY. WHILE THERE ARE DIFFERENCES...THE

OVERALL PATTERN SUGGESTED BY THE ANOMALIES OF PWAT/MFLUX THAT AN

ACTIVE MON/TUE MAY BE EXPECTED FOR PORTIONS OF THE MIDWEST

POSSIBLY GREAT LAKES REGIONS. THE CHALLENGE IS THE PRECISE

PLACEMENT OF THIS. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT GEFS MEMBERS WITHIN THE

LATEST CYCLE ARE WEAKENING THE RIDGE EARLIER AND PLACEMENT IS

FURTHER SOUTH.

:weenie:

The Chicago area is probably ripe for plenty of convective chances late this weekend and next week, so your optimism is probably warranted. For whatever reason, MKX seems to have written off the next week for any meaningful convection chances, which may or may not be a good thing.

Big extended Inferno on the Euro! Heavy AC and Box fans in the window usage. Heavy condensation dripping down my beer bottle and balls. Heavy amounts of baby powder making it to the bathroom floor - don't let your wife, GF or BF slip-n-fall and dicker their appliance up on it.

I believe that's correct for Detroit. They had 4-5 inches yesterday alone. Correction April and may. I read it somewhere on my phone earlier.

I know at Metro we have had a little over 4" as of yesterday, so maybe this is numbers for City Airport?

Death ridge setting in for the summer. Cya all in the fall.. Severe weather is going on vacation or in se Michigan's case it remains in hibernation.

Should be in drought conditions by fall and continues all winter. Keep your snow pics of the last 3 or 4 yrs handy because that's about all the snow we're going to see this winter :drunk:

MKE really backpedaling on the warmth. Now has a high of 64 on Wednesday. Looks like two days of 70s out of this "torch". LMAO.

"HOWEVER THE 12Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF KEEP THE MAIN WARM FRONT ALONG OR JUST SOUTH OF THE WISCONSIN ILLINOIS BORDER THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING AS THE SURFACE LOW OVER SOUTHEAST COLORADO STRENGTHENS. THEREFORE DO NOT EXPECT THE VERY WARM AND HUMID AIR TO ARRIVE UNTIL MONDAY."

Heh, it'll never get here. Maybe another "one day wonder" torch before backdoor front.

Eh, maybe. Alek was pumping the MCS/convective stuff during the first half of May "heatwave" when Chicago touched 90, I would be carefull as the wind direction is reversing and the lake will be less of a influence. Considering the building ridge, the backdoor front looks to be less as well, very similiar to 1943 and 1956. The front may stay to your south, or it may be further north. Models never get a good handle on that to inside 48hrs.

If you are so worried about temperatures you need to head south. Been very summer like for a week in western ohio. Temps in the 80's, lows consistantly about 60-65. Have had to use the ac quite a bit even against our landlords wishes.....

40s up here for endless days. Lake influence is probably the same since it has not yet warmed much.

Death ridge setting in for the summer. Cya all in the fall.. Severe weather is going on vacation or in se Michigan's case it remains in hibernation.

Should be in drought conditions by fall and continues all winter. Keep your snow pics of the last 3 or 4 yrs handy because that's about all the snow we're going to see this winter :drunk:

My notion that we wouldn't see a slight risk for severe weather again until Mid-June is looking more and more likely. I got criticized for making that prediction too early but I just had a feeling we would get out of the stormy pattern just in time for the warmth that could support severe weather.

My notion that we wouldn't see a slight risk for severe weather again until Mid-June is looking more and more likely. I got criticized for making that prediction too early but I just had a feeling we would get out of the stormy pattern just in time for the warmth that could support severe weather.

Stop posting.

You're underestimating what it takes to get a Slight Risk.

Stop posting.

I didn't mean to get confrontational, I just posted what I thought would happen, partly based on the unfortunate inkling that we're probably due for a low convection season, and things went from there. Non-met members should be able to post their thoughts, even if it is not backed up in science. All the science in the world cannot tell people what the weather will be like with certainty anyways since it is unpredictable and always changing. I should stop belaboring my qualms about this spring, though, I will admit that.

Solid early June heat wave looks right on track! Med/Long Ranges keeps these conditions around though a return to seasonal warmth. Summer arrived right on time!

Yep, and depending on which model you believe we shouldn't have a day below 80*F next week.

Perfect summer weather indeed.

Wow, that's an impressive Euro map for Memorial Day. 20C+ 850 mb temps creeping all the way into upstate NY with a 594dm ridge centered over central OH. If correct, we would probably see mid to upper 90s in Minneapolis, low to mid 90s in Chicago, low 90s in Detroit and Toledo, around 90 in Cleveland and Columbus, with upper 80s all the way to Pittsburgh and Buffalo. LAF, the hot spot of IN, would probably check in close to 95.

Although I think he's overplaying the "cool spring" meme... I realize it's been a little cooler in SE Michigan, but there hasn't been anything significantly below normal since March. April was near normal (ranging from -0.8 at Detroit to +0.4 at Flint). May, after today, should be 1 to nearly 3 degrees above normal all across the SE Michigan region -- and if the month ends with a big heat wave, it could finish 2-4 degrees above normal regionwide.

It has been a cool spring. In fact, Detroit has seen 5 consecutive months of below normal temperatures. Just like when CLE had XX months in a row of warmer than normal temps, a few of those months were BARELY (like +0.1 or +0,3 if i recall), but its still above normal. So DTW's depatures of -1.9F in Mar and -0.8F in Apr are certainly below normal, just not as below normal as Dec, Jan, and Feb were. Also, the May departure is only +0.6F to date, so in the end, it will still be a below normal Spring. FNT/MBS are more above normal, but fwiw DTW is the biggest metro in the region.

After today, 15+ inches of rain this month. Maybe by July the ground and golf courses will dry up

Its been a ridiculously wet year. The 24-hour rainfall through 8am today was 1.84" at DTW, 3.16" at DET, and 2.09" imby...and we have added more this afternoon as well. Still, I dont think anyone in SE MI is near 15" for the month.

I believe that's correct for Detroit. They had 4-5 inches yesterday alone. Correction April and may. I read it somewhere on my phone earlier.

Detroit City Airport had 4.28" in Apr and 5.91" in May through 7pm today.

Detroit Metro Airport (the official station for Detroit) had 5.61" in April and 4.65" in May through 7pm today.

So essentially the 2-month total for both places is over 10" but less than 11". Add in the heavy rain and snow of Mar and the heavy snow of Jan/Feb, it has been one hell of a wet year. Will post some year-to-date totals once we dry out tomorrow.

Warm and wet Spring for LAF. Well, wet only because of April. All three months will be solidly above normal warm.

March: 42.4º (+1.7)...2.15" (-0.74")

April: 54.5º (+3.0)...7.89" (+4.44")

May: 62.5º (through yesterday, normal May avg temp is 62.3º)...N/A

Archived