• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Tornado Outbreak April 27, 2011

Good morning all... I compiled the below list last night for everyone's reference...

Tuscaloosa:

http://vimeo.com/22970879

Tuscaloosa http://www.twitvid.com/93O7M

http://www.twitvid.com/4W6PU

Birmingham:

Cullman County http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

MS

MS:

Arkansas:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GGZvxnTUtO0

Chatt, TN:

Rose Hill, MS:

Thanks for compiling this. Truly incredible videos.

CNN/FOX spending most of their time on the Royal wedding with only blips about the tornadoes

Finally Ive been waiting for someone to speak of this..Here we have a death toll that may approach or exceed 200 lives but a stupid ass Wedding gets the attention. The cable networks are failing big time! This should be front story.

This event may very well end up being ranked in the top ten deadliest outbreaks in america of all time. All of the other events in this list are from 1974 or earlier, back when technology and warning lead times were barely a fraction of what they are today. I think that really shows the power of this event.

Birmingham, AL's disco this morning. I could not imagine having to write it.

"HOWEVER THE WEATHER NEVER ENDS AND WE MUST CONTINUE"

....amen

CNN/FOX spending most of their time on the Royal wedding with only blips about the tornadoes

I will say that TWC did a great job yesterday (I had not watched their programming in my years). The Bryan Norcross/Greg Forbes team were very informative and hopefully this positive trend will continue from that organization.

Finally Ive been waiting for someone to speak of this..Here we have a death toll that may approach or exceed 200 lives but a stupid ass Wedding gets the attention. The cable networks are failing big time! This should be front story.

From some non-internet reports that I've received from people that I know, I think the number is much higher. I have very good information that suggests that the number is at least 220 because of a large number that have yet to make it to confirmed reports and that just happens to be one little area about which I know someone who's in EMA.

Just going off things we know for sure at this moment...

Trees debarked with only stumps of largest limbs remaining is EF3 expected damage, but only can be determined up to the highest (167 mph) at that scale. After that it becomes impossible to tell with any certainty how strong the winds were.

Likewise, we know transmission towers outside of Birmingham were taken down. Again this type of damage is consistent with EF3 damage, but once total loss occurs it is impossible to tell if winds were stronger.

As for other structures we've seen, there was that McDonalds in Tuscaloosa that was rendered down to just about nothing but the guts (could even argue completely gone). This damage is consistent with EF3 (or high EF4 if you consider it a total loss), and again higher wind speeds can't be stated with any certainty because the structure is expected to be gone at high EF4.

Easily EF3+, almost definitely EF4, and I personally need some context with what certain structures were before they were reduced to rubble before declaring EF5 for sure.

I will say that TWC did a great job yesterday (I had not watched their programming in my years). The Bryan Norcross/Greg Forbes team were very informative and hopefully this positive trend will continue from that organization.

Agreed, and they went commercial free for a very long time. Great job TWC. Thank you for not airing the "weather for the wedding" or some other bs. Bad, bad, bad - Fox and CNN.

]

You can clearly tell that this was a strong ef-4/ef-5 tornado, similar to the Moore, OK tornado, alot of the pictures were just rubble and destroyed neighborhoods from the Moore, OK storm compared to the current damage photos. I grabbed an image from the '99 destruction compared to what happened today.

post-607-0-48850500-1303970296.jpg

post-607-0-50656400-1303970308.jpg

I just saw a scene on TWC where Jim Cantore was standing in the Tuscalossa area with trees totally debarked similar to the picture you have from Bridge Creek/Moore/OKC tornado in 1999. I dont know if this tornado was as strong as that one but defenitely more deadlier. At minimum this tornado was at least EF4 and most likely an EF5. Utter devastation.

Far more people in this country care about the wedding than these tornadoes; it's simple ratings.

And CNN, for example, has spent big money moving their whole staff to London.

What's really unseemly is when they are in London interviewing Dame Edna or some fashion designer and laughing it up and then the anchors have to turn around and do their frowny concerned face to talk about the tornadoes.

And there is a regional component; 200+ killed in NY or LA and they'd drastically cut the wedding coverage.

Yeah stellar job by TWC. They acted as a weather channel should act.

Really was surprised by the news channels. Big "F" for them from what I saw at least, but I didn't have them on the whole time of course since TWC was a ton better.

that 213 number includes 30 in TN now......

Regarding the coverage. The problem with the Cable news channels is after 4 pm they go to shows where the host is supposed to focus on some specific subject, usually politics. As such to tend to ingnore things like single day severe weather events.

Far more people in this country care about the wedding than these tornadoes; it's simple ratings.

Maybe. I sure don't know any of them. And apparently none of my friends know any either, though to be fair there is a bias since, naturally, most of my friends are into weather.

Yeah stellar job by TWC. They acted as a weather channel should act.

Really was surprised by the news channels. Big "F" for them from what I saw at least, but I didn't have them on the whole time of course since TWC was a ton better.

Chad Meyers was completely hideous when they had him on briefly on Anderson Cooper at 10PM last night; he basically proclaimed the outbreak "over" because the "atmosphere was cooling."

I think roughly 20 people were killed after 10PM last night.

I don't know, fox is doing a good job of it this morning I think...unlike yesterday. CNN on the other hand just keeps wanting to talk about the fooking wedding and politics. MSNBC seems to be covering it the least of all of them.

I was absolutely enraged yesterday when all 3 networks were ignoring what was happening. Even while BHM was being demolished they couldn't drag themselves away from the stupid obama birth certificate nonsense and the wedding garbage.

But last night I witnessed one of the most maddening things ever in terms of coverage. Local fox station in atlanta would not break away from american fooking idol while there were at least reports at the time of a mile wide tornado heading toward a major city in their viewing area, Rome. And of course this was the same storm/tornado that destroyed tuscaloosa and bhm. Even more disgusting was their own met, ken kook, broke in for about 30 seconds in a little window actually saying the tornado was a mile wide and heading toward rome before going back to idol :axe: :axe:

I was so angered by this last night I was screaming and cursing them like you wouldn't believe. Absolutely disgusted by it and have sent a very strong complaint into them about it. For all we know some lives were lost because they decided to cover a meaningless pile of sh*t that doesn't mean a damn thing compared to the destruction that was going on. And then of course after idol was over, they were pimping themselves as being the best covering it...when they were the ONLY station not showing constant coverage. I wanted to puke.

I have made it my mission to get anyone I can to complain to them. For anyone who is interested, below is their webpage.

www.myfoxatlanta.com

btw, just to be clear their met, ken kook, is really the only met in atlanta worth anything..indeed he is very very good..which made it more sickening. Obviously this was station managements call, not his, so I don't want to throw him into the fire with them.

Chad Meyers was completely hideous when they had him on briefly on Anderson Cooper at 10PM last night; he basically proclaimed the outbreak "over" because the "atmosphere was cooling."

Well in that case, I up CNN's grade then. It's good they didn't have him on more if he really said something stupid like that. Kudos to them.

Trees debarked with only stumps of largest limbs remaining is EF3 expected damage, but only can be determined up to the highest (167 mph) at that scale. After that it becomes impossible to tell with any certainty how strong the winds were.

Likewise, we know transmission towers outside of Birmingham were taken down. Again this type of damage is consistent with EF3 damage, but once total loss occurs it is impossible to tell if winds were stronger.

As for other structures we've seen, there was that McDonalds in Tuscaloosa that was rendered down to just about nothing but the guts (could even argue completely gone). This damage is consistent with EF3 (or high EF4 if you consider it a total loss), and again higher wind speeds can't be stated with any certainty because the structure is expected to be gone at high EF4.

Easily EF3+, almost definitely EF4, and I personally need some context with what certain structures were before they were reduced to rubble before declaring EF5 for sure.

Then the live feed over Spaulding Co. GA tseems to suggest at least EF3 in spots, from what my amateur eyes can tell. Definitely the tree damage, though not necessarily in a wide swath or continuous. Some bare concrete slabs, with the adjacent homes suggesting those were either traditional wood-frame or perhaps pre-fab (not trailers.) Also wood-framed houses reduced to rubble with piles of lumber and siding blown across the road.

It goes to show you how politics and money comes before the people who lost their lives in this tornado outbreak and a number of these victims probably paid taxes to support these a**holes

Whats the difference between EF4 and EF5 damage?

Then the live feed over Spaulding Co. GA tseems to suggest at least EF3 in spots, from what my amateur eyes can tell. Definitely the tree damage, though not necessarily in a wide swath or continuous. Some bare concrete slabs, with the adjacent homes suggesting those were either traditional wood-frame or perhaps pre-fab (not trailers.) Also wood-framed houses reduced to rubble with piles of lumber and siding blown across the road.

The most difficult questions will come when going from EF4 to EF5, and will likely take more than just today to determine the answers. A single family home can be reduced to a bare slab in EF1 winds if the house isn't anchored to the foundation. Experts will need to come in and view construction to determine how well they were built. However there are some clues that can help. For instance, a bare slab next to a tree with a couple branches down, or an intact flag pole can be indicative of poor construction. Whereas, a bare slab with debarked trees and a flag pole bent to the ground can show that it was indeed EF3+.

Not to mention the number and magnitude of the rest of the tornadoes mean these surveys are going to take a while, even though they likely have region and surrounding WFOs assisting.