• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Historic Tornado Outbreak April 27, 2011

Good God..the death toll just more than doubled? I hope there was some kind of mistake. :( If there are 150-200 dead then I guess this really does rival just about any other outbreak. Just horrified and shocked with this new death toll!

And thank God Ohio and the northern end of this did not pan out!

171 deaths being reported on TWC. :(

Accidental death by any kind, especially because of the weather probably one of the most tragic things that can happen to families; just an unfair reality, and It devastating that many metro areas/towns were affected. Many thoughts and prayers go out there. These last couple weeks first with Raleigh, then St. Louis, then Tuscaloosa/Birmingham is eye-opening to the fact that no area is less susceptible to tornado damage, no matter how populated or localized. Great job everyone posting updates/radar/velocities/videos; this forum definitely provides outstanding analysis and warning.

178 is the latest toll.

http://goo.gl/cZUcy

Just horrific. I hate tossing numbers around when it is human lives we are talking. Tragic--and it makes me want to work all that much harder to be the best met I can. Horrible news.

Accidental death by any kind, especially because of the weather probably one of the most tragic things that can happen to families; just an unfair reality, and It devastating that many metro areas/towns were affected. Many thoughts and prayers go out there. These last couple weeks first with Raleigh, then St. Louis, then Tuscaloosa/Birmingham is eye-opening to the fact that no area is less susceptible to tornado damage, no matter how populated or localized. Great job everyone posting updates/radar/velocities/videos; this forum definitely provides outstanding analysis and warning.

I give special kudos to Fred Gossage, TornadoTony, and CUmet who never really wavered from what they believed was a historic event.

The new death toll I heard was 183 and probably rising. That is just beyond unimaginable for todays technologies and advanced warning. Like others said if it was an EF3+ tornadoes striking major populated areas and winds high as 160mph+ cause structural failure to almost any type of of building. In addition I am highly suspecting a number of these tornadoes will be rated as violent EF4 or EF5 tornadoes. NWS offices, TWC, and other news coverage areas did do a great job yesterday and did save a lot of lives although there was a very large death from tornadoes. It is a very sad and sobering day to say the least.

I give special kudos to Fred Gossage, TornadoTony, and CUmet who never really wavered from what they believed was a historic event.

One positive aspect was that this was pretty obvious from over a week out, from the perspective of great potential being there, no doubt.

It’s not very often in the world of weather that we have a chance to witness such extreme meteorological events. It has been amazing to see the parameters and data we saw day after day come to fruition. Hopefully more lives were saved with the advanced warnings of the day. Regardless of the standing, (i.e. Super Outbreak/74) this will rank as one of the more destructive and deadly multi day events of modern US history. My thoughts are with all that have suffered from this event.

Just shows that while advanced warning and better radar technology can and undoubtedly has reduced the loss of life in these events in the last 10-20 years especially, when you are dealing with high end events, in some cases it is just not much people can do. Hard to get out of the way of a 1/2 mile-mile wide EF4+ going through a populated area at high speed.

Note that if one tries to compare the Tuscaloosa storm to events such as is Moore 5/3/99 F5, that storm while very intense also, was a very slower mover. Allowed more time to people to shelter, etc.

One positive aspect was that this was pretty obvious from over a week out, from the perspective of great potential being there, no doubt.

True. There was always the feeling of something extreme, but some (including me) felt some of the other days (by day 3 before the outbreak) may exceed yesterday. Others felt the previous convection would (and resultant cold pool) disrupt yesterdays potential. Others, including me, felt the lack of significant "bombing" would cut down on the hodograph turning, etc. I knew a high risk yesterday was likely by a day and a half ago--but not to the extreme it eventually developed into.