• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday April 10th severe outbreak

I think you mean OVERWHELMING!

Not overwhelming (it's only about -50 J/KG more CINH and 700mb temps are only 1*C to 2*C warmer), but notably stronger. It just shows how highly sensitive the setup is (as Izzi at LOT alluded to).

While it has the potential to be a great event it also has the potential to be a huge bust if one ingredient goes haywire like the NAM shows.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not overwhelming (it's only about -50 J/KG more CINH and 700mb temps are only 1*C to 2*C warmer), but notably stronger. It just shows how highly sensitive the setup is (as Izzi at LOT alluded to).

While it has the potential to be a great event it also has the potential to be a huge bust if one ingredient goes haywire like the NAM shows.

Would certainly be quite the bust, and give the people of chicagoland another reason to downplay the next one....

Except for some isolated area in Northern Wisconsin, everyone West of I-75, North of I-80, West of I-55 and North Of I-70 gets nothing (not even rain showers)

It looks as if the cap was stronger.

Capping doesn't look unbreakable. I think this is probably a case of the NAM being dumb.

More OT: the NWS site seems to be having issues.... I wonder if it's because all of the traffic?

The Central Region NWS offices are reporting their web sites are working very slowly. NWS Headquarters techs were notified and working the issue.

Just glancing but not sure why the NAM is doing that. Hi-res models should have an edge as usual.

Because the NAM will not resolve isolated supercells. When it had that precip breaking out, that was more indicative of a line to be honest. If you look at VVs, there is still enhanced VV across IL and WI tomorrow evening. IMO, this just heightens the danger even more.

Because the NAM will not resolve isolated supercells. When it had that precip breaking out, that was more indicative of a line to be honest. If you look at VVs, there is still enhanced VV across IL and WI tomorrow evening. IMO, this just heightens the danger even more.

Yeah, nice bullseye over northern Illinois at 00z Mon.

Capping in the upper midwest in April with these temps?

Going along with that, one of the key ways to break caps is with daytime heating. Unless the NAM lingers the overnight convection, to me (a novice) it wouldn't make sense that NOTHING would break out. What a waste of good ingredients that would be.

And let's remember that expectations for tornadoes for this Sat night by the models were not all that great and our focus was on Sunday, yet we have apparently had some examples of massive tornadoes this evening. This lends support to the strength of this system in my opinion. It is truly hard to believe that we would have an unbreakable cap....My goodness, these temps ard the location of the svr risk is more akin to early June instead of early April.

Hmmmm.

It looks as though one model has either latched on to something, or is just having a "junk run".. That patch of lowered DP's in Central, and Northern IL just looks odd. With everything building up, and then to have a run like this pop up, gives one pause, to say the least. If the GFS starts sniffing out the same thing, then something might be up.

Not letting my guard down at this time...

Well, so much for overnight storms here. The weather office just updated their forecast, and now they expect the complex in N. Iowa and S. Minnesota to run through Central Wisconsin, maybe skimming the Milwaukee area at best. If tomorrow's storms bust, it will be a terribly busty weekend.

Well, Schwartz on ABC 7 did a good job of playing the fence (Given the model data, it seems that was the sensible thing to do) . Their "Future Cast" radar says NO! for storms tomorrow. but he did show all of the atmospheric elements and how they could produce major storms tomorrow...

Then he ran the "Future Cast" radar and didn't even show any showers.

I would think, that given the dynamics in the atmosphere tomorrow... something has to give.. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'd be far more concerned about whether the wind profile is too unidirectional than the lack of QPF. Those WRF runs from the NWS that Beau posted, taken verbatim, just aren't going to cut it. I suspect they're underdoing the backing of the surface wind field, but this potential problem has been there for days now and we're just going to have to see how it all works out tomorrow.

I'd be far more concerned about whether the wind profile is too unidirectional than the lack of QPF. Those WRF runs from the NWS that Beau posted, taken verbatim, just aren't going to cut it. I suspect they're underdoing the backing of the surface wind field, but this potential problem has been there for days now and we're just going to have to see how it all works out tomorrow.

+1

It's why I've been sorta meh about this threat this whole time, but I didn't want to go against the grain. I just can't reconcile myself against those SSW winds... but as Beau and you say we'll see what happens.

+1

It's why I've been sorta meh about this threat this whole time, but I didn't want to go against the grain. I just can't reconcile myself against those SSW winds... but as Beau and you say we'll see what happens.

I'm gonna (as usual) side the other way on this. Look at that GFS hodo. Good grief, even with SSW winds, that is an impressive hodo. And w/r/t the NAM, keep in mind it often underestimates low-level winds/shear/helicity, especially with events in this range.

Archived