• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part II

earthlight

This is seeming like a gigantic bust...hopefully there is never a true Cat 1 or 2 storm that makes it into NYC because people will never take it seriously after this.

I agree. I feel bad for the people who left town. I was really expecting widespread blackouts and madness but it didn't happen. The media did a terrible job with this storm. All the news stations had winds over 80 mph and near 12 inches of rain.:arrowhead:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I feel bad for the people who left town. I was really expecting widespread blackouts and madness but it didn't happen. The media did a terrible job with this storm. All the news stations had winds over 80 mph and near 12 inches of rain.:arrowhead:

No they didnt. Not today. The good meteorologists on ABC had 50-60mph sustained and gusts to 75 over NYC. And that verified perfectly.

The story is the surge and its occuring right now.

Was bad in my town. Hopefully those bitching will get their houses destroyed next time.

Most that are bitching were not awake from 1am to 8am to see the power of this.

Yea, it wasn't major but it was still a powerful Tropical Storm.

They woke up at 8-10am and missed the whole storm, they didnt see major damage, and then just say the storm sucked.

Yup. And those people are pissed because they thought they would wake up at 8am and Irene would still be cranking.

Anyone awake from 1-6 had a nice storm night.

i actually slept in my fathers basement w my fiance and our dogs, its his last night in this house so we decided to crash here...he comes down to the basement at 530 am because of the tornado warnings...let me tell you, when i popped on the radar and saw what looked like a tornado signature making a b-line for the house while it was gusting to 60 outside and pouring...that was a rush.

Most that are bitching were not awake from 1am to 8am to see the power of this.

Yea, it wasn't major but it was still a powerful Tropical Storm.

They woke up at 8-10am and missed the whole storm, they didnt see major damage, and then just say the storm sucked.

This is nonsense. I was up and my area had nothing interesting. If LGA reported those 50mph sustained winds with higher gusts, fine, but we got none of it here in Bergen/Hudson counties and further west in New Jersey. Very localized reports of good winds is not reflective of the impressiveness of a storm over the entire area that was supposed to be affected by this storm. If someone has proof that EWR and TEB experienced similar to LGA, I will eat crow but I guarantee you will not find evidence of a gust greater than 60 or any significant period of sustained winds over 50mph in those places like LGA had. This was a Long Island and extreme SE NJ storm, in terms of impressiveness, end of discussion.The storm was no longer a hurricane as the center approached and for a storm center that was supposed to track right on top NYC or Queens considering my proximity (less than 2 miles from NYC) to those places it should have warranted something more impressive.

This is nonsense. I was up and my area had nothing interesting. If LGA reported those 50mph sustained winds with higher gusts, fine, but we got none of it here in Bergen/Hudson counties and further west in New Jersey. Very localized reports of good winds is not reflective of the impressiveness of a storm over the entire area that was supposed to be affected by this storm. If someone has proof that EWR and TEB experienced similar to LGA, I will eat crow but I guarantee you will not find evidence of a gust greater than 60 or any significant period of sustained winds over 50mph in those places like LGA had. This was a Long Island and extreme SE NJ storm, in terms of impressiveness, end of discussion.The storm was no longer a hurricane as the center approached and for a storm center that was supposed to track right on top NYC or Queens considering my proximity (less than 2 miles from NYC) to those places it should have warranted something more impressive.

This was a total bust in Westchester. NWS had hurricane warnings with 80mph winds, and people were talking about 10"+ of rain. The reality was around 6" of rain with 40-45mph gusts and sustained winds around 30mph, barely tropical storm force. Gusts didn't even approach hurricane criteria, which requires sustained winds of that level to verify. It was clear the storm had a fatal weakening, but no one wanted to discuss it after all the preparations/evacuations that had been made. Sure, a few places saw serious gusts and flooding, but it was isolated, not the effect you'd get if a hurricane really made landfall.

Was bad in my town. Hopefully those bitching will get their houses destroyed next time.

The problem with overreaction is that is exactly what will happen. I am a 54 year old adult. My wife and kids were making a visit to Vermont. They decided to come back yesterday rather than today. There was no end to the panicky calls I got from my mother about their safety. When I left Vermont it was 83 and sunny and a misty rain was falling when they got back later.

Creating panic is not good when it's uncalled for.

At one point, the Euro had a Cat 3 slamming into Cape May and a Cat 2 up here. I forgot how the low the pressure was but I think it was around 940 something.I knew something was up when it was weakening when it hit S.C. If it didn't weaken, a Cat 2 storm would have been possibly for NYC.

The world ended ,</sarcasm>

TWC said it was going to be the storm of the century :arrowhead:

This was a total bust in Westchester. NWS had hurricane warnings with 80mph winds, and people were talking about 10"+ of rain. The reality was around 6" of rain with 40-45mph gusts and sustained winds around 30mph, barely tropical storm force. Gusts didn't even approach hurricane criteria, which requires sustained winds of that level to verify. It was clear the storm had a fatal weakening, but no one wanted to discuss it after all the preparations/evacuations that had been made. Sure, a few places saw serious gusts and flooding, but it was isolated, not the effect you'd get if a hurricane really made landfall.

you down play every event, we aren't surprised. Havent you moved to siberia yet? NNE subforum is waiting for you to downplay your 200 inches of snow.

you down play every event, we aren't surprised. Havent you moved to siberia yet? NNE subforum is waiting for you to downplay your 200 inches of snow.

That's not true...I remember being awed at the 2/25 Snowicane, the 12/26 winds, the 2/3 ice storm, etc.

Comparing the forecasts to verification, Irene was a bust. No more commentary needed.

Archived