• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part II

earthlight

As I was walking through the streets today, I heard a lot of people talking about how bad of a job Bloomberg did this weekend with all the evacuations and shutting down everything. I think he did the right thing. The models on Friday had a Cat 2 storm hitting Cape Hatteras and a Cat 1 hitting the City. It wasn't until Saturday when you saw that this storm was weakening and a Cat 1 or 2 wasn't possible for the area. Who would have thought that the dry air was going to be the problem with this storm. If there was no dry air in place for the storm, this would have been a Cat 1/2 for the area. I think on Thursday, the Euro had a Cat 3 hitting Cape May and a Cat 2 up here. . It could have been much worse.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I was walking through the streets today, I heard a lot of people talking about how bad of a job Bloomberg did this weekend with all the evacuations and shutting down everything. I think he did the right thing. The models on Friday had a Cat 2 storm hitting Cape Hatteras and a Cat 1 hitting the City. It wasn't until Saturday when you saw that this storm was weakening and a Cat 1 or 2 wasn't possible for the area. Who would have thought that the dry air was going to be the problem with this storm. If there was no dry air in place for the storm, this would have been a Cat 1/2 for the area. I think on Thursday, the Euro had a Cat 3 hitting Cape May and a Cat 2 up here. . It could have been much worse.

The same people would also have been the first to b**ch if evacuations and shutdowns hadn't been ordered and the storm turned out to be a little stronger than expected. Some people will never be satisfied. With a city of this size, you can't take risks.

Reporter covered in Sea Foam.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df9_1314529907&p=1

The same people would also have been the first to b**ch if evacuations and shutdowns hadn't been ordered and the storm turned out to be a little stronger than expected. Some people will never be satisfied. With a city of this size, you can't take risks.

I agree. Better to be safe than sorry.

While some networks overhyped things for sure, no question about that, but I think Bloomberg had to do what he had to do, given the info around him. We stated how if the storm tracks just a little to the east, the surge might be less, but you cannot risk that at all.

And don't even start with the climate stuff. A two year sample size that happened to have a tornado does not qualify climate change.

The flooding is so bad here, there is only one way out of my town, and thats taking 23 North from Riverdale, other than that we're cut off. The sub-station went under yesterday and I was without power from 9:30AM to 12:15AM. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Note to self: stay ouf of the main fourm, its so dam cliquey

The flooding is so bad here, there is only one way out of my town, and thats taking 23 North from Riverdale, other than that we're cut off. The sub-station went under yesterday and I was without power from 9:30AM to 12:15AM. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Note to self: stay ouf of the main fourm, its so dam cliquey

Honestly, most of those towns should have never been built near those rivers.

But what's done is done and I truly feel horrible for the suffering that the poor people that are flooded are going through right now.

Honestly, most of those towns should have never been built near those rivers.

But what's done is done and I truly feel horrible for the suffering that the poor people that are flooded are going through right now.

back when the towns were first formed a river was a great asset .... as the towns grew and everything was paved so water would run off,the problems now exist ..

While some networks overhyped things for sure, no question about that, but I think Bloomberg had to do what he had to do, given the info around him. We stated how if the storm tracks just a little to the east, the surge might be less, but you cannot risk that at all.

And don't even start with the climate stuff. A two year sample size that happened to have a tornado does not qualify climate change.

Part of the problem is that evacuation plans had to be put into action well before watches were issued. When a hurricane is a Cat 3 four days before landfall and the worst case at that time is for a Cat 2 moving north at 30 mph straight toward NYC, over-preparation is almost unavoidable. Hard to change course in mid stream I imagine once those plans swing into action.

So, I think we're close to the trifecta.

Amazing winter--historic snows

First hurricane landfall in NJ in half a trillion years

All we need now is a good, old fashioned widespread severe weather event...one of those tremendous squall lines that's heading east and then turns south and slams everyone in the area.

How about the earthquake for your trifecta?

Part of the problem is that evacuation plans had to be put into action well before watches were issued. When a hurricane is a Cat 3 four days before landfall and the worst case at that time is for a Cat 2 moving north at 30 mph straight toward NYC, over-preparation is almost unavoidable. Hard to change course in mid stream I imagine once those plans swing into action.

Yeah exactly. I just hope people realize he had to do it given the facts present.

I don't want to start the whole climate change argument, but it does seem as if we're witnessing an unrealistically large amount of extreme/severe weather events in a short period of time. Since when does NYC get hit by a hurricane and tornado in two consecutive years?

IMO it's mostly a consequence of a myriad of natural forcings occurring simultaneously...prolonged solar minimum promoting extreme blocking and historic winters. Strong Nino to Nina transition bringing about the major heat of 2010, and the -PDO/+AMO pattern akin to the 1950s allowing a conducive upper pattern for east coast tropical cyclone hits. Severe convective activity in the NYC metro was very unimpressive from 2000-2006, so one would think we'd switch around to a more active T-storm regime. Overall, everything seems to have come together to make the 2009-2011 period a truly memorable one for the region. And I highly doubt this is the last high impact tropical system we'll see in the coming 1-2 years. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Katia or another TC make a run at the east coast this season.

BTW, I basically agree with your position on the inland hurricane warnings. It's usually very difficult to get strong winds more than 10-20 miles away from the ocean (by strong I mean 55+ gusts). 45-50mph gusts to me are somewhat run of the mill, I mean I've seen 50-53mph gusts with CAA events in the winter time. However, the inland wind warnings is probably the only part of the forecast that was overdone. The hype about flooding was certainly warranted, as was the caution for folks living near the coast. It seems places in VT and upstate NY had no clue a historic flooding event was to hit them.

back when the towns were first formed a river was a great asset .... as the towns grew and everything was paved so water would run off,the problems now exist ..

Time to dam up the rivers. Im sick of this **** happening every year.

This was my facebook status 1 year ago today :arrowhead:

At this time, we were tracking Hurricane Earl

The 12z Euro shifted a little west with Earl. The hurricane is coming really close. If the models stand pat right now, eastern LI and Cape Cod will feel the brunt of it with hurricane force winds. We would just seen some rain and very gusty winds. Earl might be a Cat 2 or 3 by the time it gets up here. Alot more model tracking to go. It's not over yet. This can go more west or more east.

Archived