Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 4-5 Severe and general obs/disc

Ellinwood

Does that deal with hail or winds?

Depending on the low-level lapse rate, it could indicate that storms that develop will be "elevated", i.e., not surface-based convection. It doesn't, alone, say anything about hail or winds. But steeper lapse rates (with suitable moisture available) indicate greater energy is available for storms.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on the low-level lapse rate, it could indicate that storms that develop will be "elevated", i.e., not surface-based convection. It doesn't, alone, say anything about hail or winds. But steeper lapse rates (with suitable moisture available) indicate greater energy is available for storms.

Okay, thank you for clarifying that. Would the greater energy make the storms more surface-based? Or is it better used as if to say storms could have more severity?

If that verifies, the commute tomorrow will be horrendous. Looks like I'll be getting out the door around 5:30 to avoid the carnage.

I imagine it'll speed up a bit... established convective lines tend to travel faster than progged by the models, but we'll see what happens when the energy finishes transferring to the southern area.

Archived