• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Does anyone realize how terrible the last 40 days of winter have been?

Ji

one of the worst stretches of winter i can remember in a while. This winter will end up being in the top 5 of worst winters for me as i predicted back in October when i said this winter is already the 4th worst of all time for me and it hadnt even started yet.

I think the fact that missed so many opportunities is the real issue.

We had many storms to track, had a good ice storm, a thundersnow "almost-blizzard" with insane rates, Persistant Cold, had windstorms with 60-70mph gusts, and some 70F+ days before a changeover to snow, and severewx events/opportunities in NOV, FEB, & MAR.

Not bad for a Strong La Nina with the Westerly QBO. With what we were up against, I'd say we ended up OK.

A storm or two can make a big difference in the perception. Those of you in DC and Balt. had the March 2009 storm. That, I'm sure plays a role in your assessment of 2008-2009. We, back here in the northern Shen. Valley didn't have it. And my opinion is that this winter was much, much better than that one was. I think we had about 7 or 8 inches that entire winter. I haven't totaled mine this year, but it is somewhere around 20". The ground had snow on it for much of the winter. We missed a ton of chances, but I think it could have been much, much worse, as in 2008-2009.

A storm or two can make a big difference in the perception. Those of you in DC and Balt. had the March 2009 storm. That, I'm sure plays a role in your assessment of 2008-2009. We, back here in the northern Shen. Valley didn't have it. And my opinion is that this winter was much, much better than that one was. I think we had about 7 or 8 inches that entire winter. I haven't totaled mine this year, but it is somewhere around 20". The ground had snow on it for much of the winter. We missed a ton of chances, but I think it could have been much, much worse, as in 2008-2009.

Even for DC and Baltimore, 08/09 was worse than this past winter for snow-lovers. There were like three chances for snow the whole winter and only two worked out, with one of them being 1.5" turning to ZR.

'07/'08 was just as crappy.

i was referring mainly to the last 40 days not the whole winter in my "crappy" statement. i dont think people can talk their way out of that period being bad, especially when many longer range forecasts hit on the end of the winter being the better part.

one of the worst stretches of winter i can remember in a while. This winter will end up being in the top 5 of worst winters for me as i predicted back in October when i said this winter is already the 4th worst of all time for me and it hadnt even started yet.

Maybe you can work for JB?

i was referring mainly to the last 40 days not the whole winter in my "crappy" statement. i dont think people can talk their way out of that period being bad, especially when many longer range forecasts hit on the end of the winter being the better part.

Yup, there was discussion back in January about how the lack of a January thaw, especially in a moderate Nina, was a bad sign for late winter.

I'm ready for spring. The one snowstorm we had took down a few trees and many limbs with most of them still there because my backyard has been so muddy. I need some warm dry temps so I can get back there with the chainsaw and get it cleaned up.

Chainsaws, sunshine, wind, and warm temps. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'm ready for spring. The one snowstorm we had took down a few trees and many limbs with most of them still there because my backyard has been so muddy. I need some warm dry temps so I can get back there with the chainsaw and get it cleaned up.

Two more days...

Also, 80F on Friday... we can do it!

Back to the original topic title, there was a fairly sharp cutoff in snow..If you were around DC or just S or SW then you might think the winter really blew, but Around Baltimore and points north and northeast, it was not too shabby as some areas got up into the 20's and 30's in terms of inches of snow. Now comparing to last winter, everyone sucked but we were deff spoiled and Im willing to bet people's minds are thnking about this winter sucking in terms of last winter rather than the average and what we typically get, specifically in a La Nina pattern..Anyhow, on to Spring.:thumbsup:

Archived