• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Does anyone realize how terrible the last 40 days of winter have been?

Ji

one of the worst stretches of winter i can remember in a while. This winter will end up being in the top 5 of worst winters for me as i predicted back in October when i said this winter is already the 4th worst of all time for me and it hadnt even started yet.

really, not that much different than last winter after 2/10

I just looked at the new 12Z GFS. Congrats.

Big change from previous runs, but all of the last several runs show some sort of cold and/or snow for mid/late next week. 0z Euro and 6z GFS have a pretty strong arctic blast (for late March).

Kind of have to laugh at this thread, but oh well...

Yeah, a disappointing winter overall, even ignoring that it came on the heels of how good last year was. But still it was quite interesting as others have said, many events to follow even though almost all of those never worked out here, and we did get that one neat event on Jan. 26. I'd say better than 2008-09, and substantially better than both 2001-02 and 2007-08 (but that's no contest anyhow).

In an odd way, I'd say this winter was similar to how I felt after 2006-07, in terms of a lot of potential that just didn't quite work out. Not exactly, but kind of similar. In 2006-07 we had amazing cold from late January through February, and also a rather cold March into April. We didn't get all that much snow in DC for how cold it was, and we just missed the Valentine's Day storm (got 3" sleet instead of a lot of snow, though I know areas north and west of DC got more). However, a clipper in early March and a dusting of snow on Easter Sunday in early April are memorable. If we got hammered by the Valentine's storm, people would be talking about that winter a lot more. Likewise, if we had shared in the Boxing Day storm this past winter in addition to the event Jan. 26, people would probably say this was a pretty good one (especially for a La Nina).

It was a disappointing winter, but I just don't see how people can say this was one of the worst winters ever. I can think of many winters here that were much crappier than this one: 97/98, 00/01, 01/02 and 07/08 are the first ones that immediately come to mind. But maybe I've lived around here a lot longer than some of you to know how things usually go here, unfortunately.

Archived