• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hydro Issues March 10-12

CT Rain

If we get under that fire hose of heavy rain, then it's going to be bad for some folks--looks like we could miss most of the heavy stuff which would stay west until tomorrow night though...

I think most places will be OK. The Housatonic could see problems if snowmelt in the Berkshires and Litchfield Hills is more impressive Thursday night/Friday AM then currently progged and rain overperforms.

To be honest I think the big story here is going to be NW NJ/NE PA

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most places will be OK. The Housatonic could see problems if snowmelt in the Berkshires and Litchfield Hills is more impressive Thursday night/Friday AM then currently progged and rain overperforms.

To be honest I think the big story here is going to be NW NJ/NE PA

Going to be issues in SW CT NYC, NJ with any tidal river, long lived fetch will back up waters, if melt heavy rain fall on upper basins it has no where to go.

Going to be issues in SW CT NYC, NJ with any tidal river, long lived fetch will back up waters, if melt heavy rain fall on upper basins it has no where to go.

Not too concerned about areas other than along the Housatonic. Snow melt in the Litchfield Hills and Berks is going to aggravate things on the housatonic.

BINGO, the issue here is the easterly fetch drilling water into the western sound into the tidal marshes, and the rivers are running high, at sea level down here and along the sw coast of ct water tables are high and will only get higher over the next couple weeks any rain makes it worse, completely seperate from river flooding

I was referring to that area and Joe. If they get in on the goods gonna be a mess.

What made Monday so significant was the liquification of snowpack and 3" of rain in like 6 hours over W CT. That's not going to happen this time. The issue COULD be rapid snowmelt in the Berks if the wind cranks and the dew points crank as well in the northern part of the Housatonic Basin. I'm not sure that will happen but something to watch out for.

People near the sound will have to watch out as well like Joe mentioned.

What made Monday so significant was the liquification of snowpack and 3" of rain in like 6 hours over W CT. That's not going to happen this time. The issue COULD be rapid snowmelt in the Berks if the wind cranks and the dew points crank as well in the northern part of the Housatonic Basin. I'm not sure that will happen but something to watch out for.

People near the sound will have to watch out as well like Joe mentioned.

That and it was pure runoff , frozen ground allowed zero absorption. Maximized flood potential. Do you have snow left to your west?

Water tables are definitely high. I'm just below the top of one of the highest hills in town and the water is still pouring out of the ground. My basement is still filling with water, not as quickly as it was Monday but the level goes up about a half inch every half hour to a depth of about two inches before the pressure equalizes and it stops coming in. There's a really small stream about 75 feet or so below me and it's been out of it's banks since the end of last week. I don't know if this hill can handle another two inches or more of rain without turning into a muck pit again.

ps: it's snowing :yikes: and the roads are icing up quickly with the temp a few degrees below freezing and the water running right out of the hillsides everywhere.

Posted this in the NNE thread too but since I live in the Connecticut River watershed, and half of Vermont lies therein, and...well, a lot of you folks are downstream in SNE....

Did a core sample from the 32" snowpack--8.9" of SWE.

Someone might need a bigger boat before long.

And that boat should keep getting bigger, too, haha.

2-4" of new snow in the town of Stowe this morning... and snowing at a steady clip. 2" at 800ft in the village, 3" at 1,500ft, 4" at 3,600ft.

I'm really bummed that I may not be home to see my backyard hit 40" of depth. With the new snow overnight, my depth at 5:30am was just under 39", and with mix not coming till 10am or so, its likely that I'll briefly top 40" at 800ft. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll still be sleet when I get home at 2pm, potentially preserving the deep pack.

Posted this in the NNE thread too but since I live in the Connecticut River watershed, and half of Vermont lies therein, and...well, a lot of you folks are downstream in SNE....

Did a core sample from the 32" snowpack--8.9" of SWE.

Someone might need a bigger boat before long.

I'm looking forward to getting some photos of an epic freshette at the Turners Falls damn on the Ct River.

moderate rain has finally made it here.

easterly fetch has been relentless for 36 hrs+

water piling up in western li sound with over wash on fairfield beach rd at the inlet.

radar is scary, water now coming up through the floor of the basement as water tables continue to rise here in the swamp.

water piling up in western li sound with over wash on fairfield beach rd at the inlet.

radar is scary, water now coming up through the floor of the basement as water tables continue to rise here in the swamp.

Congrats and enjoy!!

I'll have to try to take a drive down there tomorrow--will be a mess.

Well that sucks, why anybody would want this crap is beyond me.

It isn't supposed to end this way, looking like ski areas get boosted next week and until April though. My skiing is better although hit ascraggler and gouged the bottom pretty good. Daughter near Smuggs says it is sick loaded.

Have no fear Ginx, it's going to go out with a Major fluerish. There's tons of snow here in the hills. MRG has received over 3' this week alone with more on the way. Skis are made to be abused, throw a littl P-tex in that shark bite and ski it up.

Full snow cover has survived thus far here. Easily over a foot in the woods yet. Doppler estimate a bit under 1" of rain here so could have been worse. Dense fog and 39F now.... I think winter has some tricks up it's sleeve yet from about the 20th on....

Have no fear Ginx, it's going to go out with a Major fluerish. There's tons of snow here in the hills. MRG has received over 3' this week alone with more on the way. Skis are made to be abused, throw a littl P-tex in that shark bite and ski it up.

It isn't supposed to end this way, looking like ski areas get boosted next week and until April though. My skiing is better although hit ascraggler and gouged the bottom pretty good. Daughter near Smuggs says it is sick loaded.

Yeah, unless something freakish happens, we are set-up with the best spring-skiing snowpacks since spring 2007... and 2001 before that.

As of this morning, there's just under 4 feet on the ground at 1,500ft and 8 feet at 3,700ft.

That's not going anywhere soon... plus, its still 31F with ZR at the summit and with 10" falling up there yesterday, this storm will likely end up being a solid net gain up here from 2,000ft and up. Even at 1,500ft we had 7" yesterday, and I hear there's still about 3-4" of that on the ground, so there's still a chance this is a net gain at 1,500ft base as well.

But for folks downstream of this deep NNE snowpack, we all hope this releases very, very slowly. Even the lower elevations have 5-8" locked up in the snowpack around here.

Archived