• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA...February ends, March begins...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW WOW...I just looked at the CMC, which I hate doing because I honestly think its horrible, but it shows one massive storm system from the gulf coast, and it looks like it tries to cutoff from the main flow!! The model is printing off 2-4" of QPF and saying 2 feet for western areas of the great lakes. I doubt this is the solution, as the GFS doesn't show this setup at all, what is the Euro showing. I heard the Euro shows alot of QPF for the storm also???

yeah, appears the Euro has a lot of qpf too.

I am rooting for it to change to snow, lol. Still in snow mode.

me too.

my best storm (snow) of the season so far = 5"

we usually get one 8-10 inch snowfall so im still rooting on winter.

i want my 8-10" snowstorm :P

Yeah, this is my 4th year at PSU and there has only been one storm over 6.5" during that entire stretch. February 5-6, 2010.

Some of this is snow back here in the mtns. With such a negative tilt and a new wave forming, this could get interesting Sunday evening.

Been a lurker on this end of week storm the last few days haha. Considering that the theme this year with most of our events has been a double pronged system I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this evolve.. and I certainly wouldn't rule out the secondary wave potentially causing some wintry issues if the cold presses enough behind the first wave. Whatever the ptype or types end up being, these models have been cranking out a ton of QPF.

Some of this is snow back here in the mtns. With such a negative tilt and a new wave forming, this could get interesting Sunday evening.

Been a lurker on this end of week storm the last few days haha. Considering that the theme this year with most of our events has been a double pronged system I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this evolve.. and I certainly wouldn't rule out the secondary wave potentially causing some wintry issues if the cold presses enough behind the first wave. Whatever the ptype or types end up being, these models have been cranking out a ton of QPF.

Cobb BUFKIT has 8.7 inches at UNV and some really chilly air in it's wake. JST gets crushed with 16.8.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfsm&site=kjst

That is wicked amounts of rain. I was passing by teh susquehanna river today and it is up pretty far. it won't take much to push it over.

What's really frightening is if central and northern New England gets hit with heavy rainfall amounts...I was just lurking in some of their threads and there are a lot of places with 2'-4' on the ground still with amazing amounts of water in that pack. God help them if they get a storm with 50's and heavy rains...

What's really frightening is if central and northern New England gets hit with heavy rainfall amounts...I was just lurking in some of their threads and there are a lot of places with 2'-4' on the ground still with amazing amounts of water in that pack. God help them if they get a storm with 50's and heavy rains...

Same goes for a good chunk of Upstate NY. Still 12+ on the ground here just above BGM, and the Adirondacks and parts of the Catskills still have 6"+ of water equivalent locked up in their snowpack. The 12z Euro hit the 'Dacks region with upwards of 4-5" of rain between Friday-Monday. The flood threat is alive and well over a good chunk of NYS and NE.

post-538-0-18148700-1299034866.gif

Same goes for a good chunk of Upstate NY. Still 12+ on the ground here just above BGM, and the Adirondacks and parts of the Catskills still have 6"+ of water equivalent locked up in their snowpack. The 12z Euro hit the 'Dacks region with upwards of 4-5" of rain between Friday-Monday. The flood threat is alive and well over a good chunk of NYS and NE.

post-538-0-18148700-1299034866.gif

How much of that is in the Susquehanna river basin?

How much of that is in the Susquehanna river basin?

The Susquehanna River originates in the northern Catskills near Cooperstown in Otsego County. Still upwards of 20" on the ground in the headwater region, with amounts dropping off to 7-8" down toward the central Southern Tier near Waverly where the Sus drops into PA.

Here's a map of the River for comparison purposes with the intellicast snow cover map. Lots of fuel still lying on the ground here...

Susq.png

post-538-0-51590300-1299036034.gif

Btw...while we're on the subject of flooding, if you ever wondered how you effectively remove an ice jam, then read the bolded below...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1014 PM EST TUE MAR 1 2011

HYDROLOGY...

-- Changed Discussion --THE ICE JAM ON THE COHOCTON RIVER NEAR CAMPBELL HAS BROKEN UP AND THEREFORE THE THREAT FOR FLOODING HAS ENDED. THIS WAS CONFIRMED BY LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. IN ADDITION THE RIVER GAGE JUST UPSTREAM FROM THE JAM HAS SHOWN A SHARP DROP IN THE RIVER LEVEL THIS EVENING. THE COMBINATION OF DYNAMITE AND A BACKHOE HELPED TO BREAK UP THE JAM THIS AFTERNOON.

The Susquehanna River originates in the northern Catskills near Cooperstown in Otsego County. Still upwards of 20" on the ground in the headwater region, with amounts dropping off to 7-8" down toward the central Southern Tier near Waverly where the Sus drops into PA.

Here's a map of the River for comparison purposes with the intellicast snow cover map. Lots of fuel still lying on the ground here...

Could be an ugly setup for CNY and NEPA if next week's modeling comes to fruition.

Btw...while we're on the subject of flooding, if you ever wondered how you effectively remove an ice jam, then read the bolded below...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1014 PM EST TUE MAR 1 20

HYDROLOGY...

-- Changed Discussion --THE ICE JAM ON THE COHOCTON RIVER NEAR CAMPBELL HAS BROKEN UP AND THEREFORE THE THREAT FOR FLOODING HAS ENDED. THIS WAS CONFIRMED BY LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. IN ADDITION THE RIVER GAGE JUST UPSTREAM FROM THE JAM HAS SHOWN A SHARP DROP IN THE RIVER LEVEL THIS EVENING. THE COMBINATION OF DYNAMITE AND A BACKHOE HELPED TO BREAK UP THE JAM THIS AFTERNOON.

I have seen ice jams broken up this way. it takes some nut case to go out on the ice and place the dynamite.

anytime dynamite is used it is way cool...

Archived