• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2011 general obs/discussion thread

snowstormcanuck

Glad the "SE trend" is alive and kicking. Gives me some hope about the late week system.

agreed

im surprised noone has started a thread for this considering the threads we see for other lesser potential events >1 week out. (I wont be starting it :lol: )

the qpf alone is just insane .....euro had 5+ liquid equivalent for ottawa.....:wacko:

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter if and when it ends...might run into mid April, but I get that feeling when winter goes to the shed to be shot dead it will go out with a papralyzing bang as in a huge snow somwhere int he midwest in excess of a foot. Just that kind of winter, could only have imagined had the nina taken control sooner what might have been to an already historic winter.

This winter if and when it ends...might run into mid April, but I get that feeling when winter goes to the shed to be shot dead it will go out with a papralyzing bang as in a huge snow somwhere int he midwest in excess of a foot. Just that kind of winter, could only have imagined had the nina taken control sooner what might have been to an already historic winter.

Yea I know. We are well above average here in Se MI and we were cold and dry for a month from dec 12 to jan 12. Could have been historic if that darn block didn't hang around so long.

We will be heading into March with a glacier snowpack. With more snow potential on the horizon, spring is the LAST thing on my mind this March. It usually is anyway, but this year even moreso. We have a snowpack of 5" that has probably almost 2.5" of water content in it, so the race is on for Detroit to see its whitest winter ever (meaning most days with 1"+ snowcover). The record is 91 days in 1977-78, followed by 89 days in both 1947-48 and 1981-82. DTW is at 71 days and counting...

We will be heading into March with a glacier snowpack. With more snow potential on the horizon, spring is the LAST thing on my mind this March. It usually is anyway, but this year even moreso. We have a snowpack of 5" that has probably almost 2.5" of water content in it, so the race is on for Detroit to see its whitest winter ever (meaning most days with 1"+ snowcover). The record is 91 days in 1977-78, followed by 89 days in both 1947-48 and 1981-82. DTW is at 71 days and counting...

Scratch that, a core sample of the snow shows 1.3-1.4" water content in the 5" snowpack, so its not quite as much as I thought. There must have been some runoff with the heavy rain last night.

IND regarding flooding. Perhaps we should have a separate longer term flood thread?

Widespread Significant to Record Flooding in Central Indiana

Significant to record flooding developed quickly along many streams and rivers in central Indiana following heavy local rains of 2 to 4 inches. Record flooding occurred along Prairie Creek in Boone County and along the Mississinewa River in Randolph County. Some of the streams that experienced significant flooding included Eagle Creek, Little Eagle Creek, Killbuck Creek, Big Walnut Creek and Raccoon Creek. Flood waters along most smaller streams in central Indiana will begin to recede by Monday evening.

Extensive flooding will quickly develop along the White and Eel Rivers in central Indiana. Flooding along the White River from Muncie to Ravenswood will be the highest since March 2007. Crests will occur from early Tuesday through early Wednesday.

High water from central Indiana will moved southwest in the coming days. Extensive flooding will develop along the Wabash River in western Indiana and along the White River in southwest Indiana by Saturday. Significant flooding is possible if heavy rainfall occurs this weekend in southern Indiana. Flooding will continue along portions of the White and Wabash Rivers through March 20.

Significant flooding impacts numerous local and state roads, extensive agricultural land and some residential areas.

IND regarding flooding. Perhaps we should have a separate longer term flood thread?

Widespread Significant to Record Flooding in Central Indiana

Significant to record flooding developed quickly along many streams and rivers in central Indiana following heavy local rains of 2 to 4 inches. Record flooding occurred along Prairie Creek in Boone County and along the Mississinewa River in Randolph County. Some of the streams that experienced significant flooding included Eagle Creek, Little Eagle Creek, Killbuck Creek, Big Walnut Creek and Raccoon Creek. Flood waters along most smaller streams in central Indiana will begin to recede by Monday evening.

Extensive flooding will quickly develop along the White and Eel Rivers in central Indiana. Flooding along the White River from Muncie to Ravenswood will be the highest since March 2007. Crests will occur from early Tuesday through early Wednesday.

High water from central Indiana will moved southwest in the coming days. Extensive flooding will develop along the Wabash River in western Indiana and along the White River in southwest Indiana by Saturday. Significant flooding is possible if heavy rainfall occurs this weekend in southern Indiana. Flooding will continue along portions of the White and Wabash Rivers through March 20.

Significant flooding impacts numerous local and state roads, extensive agricultural land and some residential areas.

Awful. Nothing worse than flooding!

38° F as of noon, feels balmy! Still no grass showing though, but that won't last long. The sad thing is the snow pack might survive today's assault, and then it's gonna get colder again so it won't melt. And then it might get replenished Friday and Saturday, followed by more cold and snow!

Not gonna be real Spring for awhile yet in Wisconsin I guess.

38° F as of noon, feels balmy! Still no grass showing though, but that won't last long. The sad thing good thing is the snow pack might survive today's assault, and then it's gonna get colder again so it won't melt. And then it might get replenished Friday and Saturday, followed by more cold and snow!

Not gonna be real Spring for awhile yet in Wisconsin I guess.

Corrected :P

Upper 40s here today. Bare ground all around. Ever since we lost the main snow pack a few weeks ago we've only had brief periods of light cover that only lasted a day or two. Winter seems over here. I wouldn't mind another snow, but it won't last long on the ground this time of year. Bring on thunderstorms and warmer air. Can't wait to get out fishing and golfing again.

Archived