joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2011 general obs/discussion thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baro, what is you most memorable summer weather event? Mine is the BWCA 1999 derecho. It was spectacular.

Obviously I'm not B_I but since we're on the topic, my top 5 are (Most of these are recent bc I'm only 19 and all are valid for SE Michigan because this is my first year in OK for college):

1) June 8th 2008 Derecho

2) June 25th 2009 Supercell turned major wind damage producer in Macomb County (my first storm chase)

3) August 24th 2007 Tornado Outbreak

4) September 13th 2008 Hurricane Ike remnants

5) April 25th 2009 Two bow echoes in one day

Hoping March can give me a 5-10 day cold spell so I can at least see one last snow shower or even better a snowstorm. I just want to see snowflakes fly through the air one last time. Although my time is dwindling. After that bring on the shorts and t-shirt weather with lots of severe weather. I see this March as a wild month with extreme temperature ranges. Will be fun to watch.

Baro, what is you most memorable summer weather event? Mine is the BWCA 1999 derecho. It was spectacular.

Not Baro either, but my favorite severe weather event has to be hands down the Derecho of May 31th 1998, came steamrolling in at dawn, some of the most prolific damage to hit the state in a squall line/derecho.

Obviously I'm not B_I but since we're on the topic, my top 5 are (Most of these are recent bc I'm only 19 and all are valid for SE Michigan because this is my first year in OK for college):

1) June 8th 2008 Derecho

2) June 25th 2009 Supercell turned major wind damage producer in Macomb County (my first storm chase)

3) August 24th 2007 Tornado Outbreak

4) September 13th 2008 Hurricane Ike remnants

5) April 25th 2009 Two bow echoes in one day

june 8th wub.gif i was at dtx that day taking a billion reports.

Going for the turkey and the 3rd straight March without measurable snowfall (greater than a trace) for LAF. Has only happened once before BTW.

I'm normally ready for spring once March hits but looks like I might need to make an exception this time. I would like to get to 50"...however, the second we reach that (if we do) I will be in full spring mode.

Looks like this gradient pattern is going to continue into March. Winter in the northern tier and winter probably over farther south with my area caught in the battle zone.

I would not rule anything out down to the river and even KY perhaps.

Boldness have enveloped me. I'll say at least 4" of snow in March.

Very reasonable.

I say 12" for Toronto 7" for DTW. :thumbsup:

I could see more.. See below.

lol, you gotta remember our Marches are heavily frontloaded historically. If the snow doesn't pile up by the 12th or so, it's mostly hit or miss scraps from that point into April. So, based on the way the models look, YOUZE IS SCREWED. :)

Don't be surprised if that changes in the coming days. As mentioned in the storm thread models are starting to suggest that the tropical forcing/MJO gets into a much more favorable position ( winter storms/colder )for us going into March and or later next week. Phase 6/7 onward.

Either way it is gonna be hard at best to do again what was done last March and the one before. Trace or less of snowfall here. Add in a Nina and well odd's strongly favor below normal temps and above normal snows. I'll go as far to say that i think the odds are high that we see a another snow bomb in the region ( se of La Crosse and west of the apps ) this month.

I would not rule anything out down to the river and even KY perhaps.

Very reasonable.

I could see more.. See below.

Don't be surprised if that changes in the coming days. As mentioned in the storm thread models are starting to suggest that the tropical forcing/MJO gets into a much more favorable position ( winter storms/colder )for us going into March and or later next week. Phase 6/7 onward.

Either way it is gonna be hard at best to do again what was done last March and the one before. Trace or less of snowfall here. Add in a Nina and well odd's strongly favor below normal temps and above normal snows. I'll go as far to say that i think the odds are high that we see a another snow bomb in the region ( se of La Crosse and west of the apps ) this month.

Yeah I would say I-80 to the river is up for grabs. Farther south is probably about done barring a fluke and farther north should have more sustained cold/snow chances.

I'm normally ready for spring once March hits but looks like I might need to make an exception this time. I would like to get to 50"...however, the second we reach that (if we do) I will be in full spring mode.

How far off are you after last night?

I'm just tired of wet feet. Bring me spring or bring me new sneakers, I don't care which.

Archived