joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 21/22 PDIII Junior Model/Forecast Discussion

WxUSAF

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's because of the temperature in the warm layer, they are below freezing but are in the temp range where lots of riming typically is found. At 700 mb the temp is minus 1.1. Not that far from freezing. ratios are dependent on the temps where the snow is being formed not surface temps. Essentially bufkit is saying w're not going to see dendrites at that time and that the flakes might be rimed.

Thanks Wes. What sort of temps should I be looking for in the warm layers to ensure a bit higher, aka 10 to 12:1 ratios?

From Wes (in the other thread):

"It's pretty easy for enthusiasts (not you) to forecast heavy snow for each event that a model shows as having potential for heavy snow. It's tougher when you are making public forecast. I got killed after the boxer day non-storm and the CWG forecasts were the least bullish in the area. Now people are complaining about forecasts that haven't yet verified for this event when the models except for the Euro were not very bullish until the 00Z run."

I want to emphasize the bolded parts....This happens every time there is a "threat" and it's more than a little annoying. It is really easy to second guess people when you are not held accountable for posting rants, IMBY whining, and complaints about LWX not doing what you think they should do. People need to realize that forecasters such as those at LWX are paid to do more than simply react to the latest model output. They are looking at and interpreting things in FAR greater detail.

Of course they aren't going to get every storm right, but you should at least wait for events to unfold before discussing what they do (or did) right, wrong, too late, etc.

"It's pretty easy for enthusiasts (not you) to forecast heavy snow for each event that a model shows as having potential for heavy snow. It's tougher when you are making public forecast. I got killed after the boxer day non-storm and the CWG forecasts were the least bullish in the area. Now people are complaining about forecasts that haven't yet verified for this event when the models except for the Euro were not very bullish until the 00Z run."

I want to emphasize the bolded parts....This happens every time there is a "threat" and it's more than a little annoying. It is really easy to second guess people when you are not held accountable for posting rants, IMBY whining, and complaints about LWX not doing what you think they should do. People need to realize that forecasters such as those at LWX are paid to do more than simply react to the latest model output. They are looking at and interpreting things in FAR greater detail.

Of course they aren't going to get every storm right, but you should at least wait for events to unfold before discussing what they do (or did) right, wrong, too late, etc.

i also responded, we should try to keep the complaining about forecasts here:

:lol:

gotta love weenies

while ravensrule is a weenie.... :P i dont think his comments have been nuts. it's been a few days now that places a good bit north of D.C. and in elevation etc looked pretty good.

while ravensrule is a weenie.... :P i dont think his comments have been nuts. it's been a few days now that places a good bit north of D.C. and in elevation etc looked pretty good.

Weenie yes

I didn't see his comments, it makes me laugh though that he is asking Randy to apologize... hahahaha ok.

I made this comment earlier. Agree 100%. Those who whine do not do this for a living. No responsibility at all. Always easier to criticize others.

GFS forecast soundings for BWI imply drizzle around 21z today (warm and dry layer between 900-700mb). By 00z probably either a sleet sounding or freezing drizzle with surface temps around -5C but a warm layer between 800-875mb that gets up to 3.3C. Also fairly dry in that layer with a 4C dewpoint depression...hence the FZDZ. Still a warm nose of 1.2C at 3z but that could be overcome with heavy precip rates. 6z is well below freezing for the whole column.

Pretty similar at DCA.

Edit...NAM profile at BWI is completely sub-freezing (barely) at 3z and has temps above freezing at 00z (3C). Definitely a sleet profile at DCA at 3z. 8C difference between the GFS and NAM at 0z at the surface!:yikes:

Thank you, of course i was joking. People need to chill in this thread. Ian i admit i am the biggest weenie of them all :snowman: , well JI and Jebman surpass me but im close.

we're all weenies... or we would not be here.

Archived