• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter returns with a vengeance thread

Damage In Tolland

I don't think there is one person in SNE who thinks that we have a chance in hell at repeating January in March......no one expects another 50"

month.

I think what he's saying though, is that winter is NOT going to return with a vengeance. None of the models are really showing signs of any transition away from a -PNA; January had a strong MJO wave that pushed into Phases 7 and 8, allowing a more favorable Pacific pattern to develop which gave us the series of coastals leading to historic snowfall amounts. With the MJO now stuck in the middle and the strong Niña ruling the roost, we're not likely to see a sustained wintry regime for a while. None of the guidance is showing any sign of a big -NAO in the longer range...both the Euro and the GFS are pretty flat in the Atlantic due to the giant PV sitting over Canada. We can certainly hope for a gradient pattern since there seems to be a parade of storms marching out of the western trough, and we have some good cold anomalies across Canada, but the SE ridge is probably going to cause a lot of taint and warm-ups between events, which will be deadly for snowpack in late February/early March.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15" in march after getting 60-90" dec-early feb is returning with a vengeance?

and my prediction of not that much snow was predicated on the system not being that far north... they got into good ratios up there

I'm betting i get more than 15 up here.

so you got the amounts right, if you consider the ratios, but you got the track way wrong....but overall you were right at 500...or somethin like that? JB?

I think what he's saying though, is that winter is NOT going to return with a vengeance. None of the models are really showing signs of any transition away from a -PNA; January had a strong MJO wave that pushed into Phases 7 and 8, allowing a more favorable Pacific pattern to develop which gave us the series of coastals leading to historic snowfall amounts. With the MJO now stuck in the middle and the strong Niña ruling the roost, we're not likely to see a sustained wintry regime for a while. None of the guidance is showing any sign of a big -NAO in the longer range...both the Euro and the GFS are pretty flat in the Atlantic due to the giant PV sitting over Canada. We can certainly hope for a gradient pattern since there seems to be a parade of storms marching out of the western trough, and we have some good cold anomalies across Canada, but the SE ridge is probably going to cause a lot of taint and warm-ups between events, which will be deadly for snowpack in late February/early March.

This is the New England thread...

This is the same basic scenario you laid out in early December with disasterous results. Keep up the good work.

I'll bet you $50 that I see at least 20" of snow in March.

This is the New England thread...

I just think a parade of slop storms and temps averaging normal to slightly above isn't "winter returning with a vengeance." I still think there's a good chance the eastern trough returns by 3/1 and we get a wintry spell in early March, but before then it looks touch-and-go. From what I've heard, the Euro weeklies say the pattern stays mild to end the winter with little NAO blocking, something that becomes increasingly important as we get deeper into March with shortening wavelengths and more marginal storms.

I just think a parade of slop storms and temps averaging normal to slightly above isn't "winter returning with a vengeance." I still think there's a good chance the eastern trough returns by 3/1 and we get a wintry spell in early March, but before then it looks touch-and-go. From what I've heard, the Euro weeklies say the pattern stays mild to end the winter with little NAO blocking, something that becomes increasingly important as we get deeper into March with shortening wavelengths and more marginal storms.

Tubes n Tubeyredtag double teaming tonight!

This is the same basic scenario you laid out in early December with disasterous results. Keep up the good work.

Huh? I said we wouldn't get much snow until the Pacific improved. The Pacific improved in late December/January with a +PNA and the MJO moving into Phase 8. I was enthusiastic about the pattern at that point. Period.

I never said New England won't get more snow...I think we'll see a bunch of SW flow events that you guys cash in on, but not sure about winter "returning with a vengeance." I think we'll have to get through a couple weeks of marginal weather before we see real troughing in early-mid March.

All of NE wants a SE ridge...it has proven very helpful in prior Ninas. And all ensemble guidance is much colder for all of New England after this current torch. I agree that when the ridge flexes, we taint. Who cares? Snow is not going to be on the ground in early April. But snow cover from solstice to equinox is simply incredible. That is not out of the question.

100% agree but I think there's a bunch privately that are holding out hope. What I see is mild/cold oscillating and maybe we get lucky and get some snow producers versus rainers. I was thinking last week I'd see about 15" more snow here this year, down to 10" now looking at the pattern.

Agreed with you and Forky... as usual.

We'll get some opportunities for snow but I doubt any prolific snow-producing pattern.

I'd like a KU in March but I wouldn't be shocked if the month turned out relatively snowless.

All of NE wants a SE ridge...it has proven very helpful in prior Ninas. And all ensemble guidance is much colder for all of New England after this current torch. I agree that when the ridge flexes, we taint. Who cares? Snow is not going to be on the ground in early April. But snow cover from solstice to equinox is simply incredible. That is not out of the question.

Speak for yourself :lol:

Huh? I said we wouldn't get much snow until the Pacific improved. The Pacific improved in late December/January with a +PNA and the MJO moving into Phase 8. I was enthusiastic about the pattern at that point. Period.

I never said New England won't get more snow...I think we'll see a bunch of SW flow events that you guys cash in on, but not sure about winter "returning with a vengeance." I think we'll have to get through a couple weeks of marginal weather before we see real troughing in early-mid March.

One possibility, just a thought here, is to read what is in the thread and what people are talking about. Because what people are talking about is a gradient pattern with SWFEs, not a huge NAO block. This pattern is for us not for you and it is the kind of pattern that can produce up here, as Will, Scott,etc have been telling you for 3 months.

C'mon, buck up. Why do you think the legend of the Zuckertubesocks scares little snow loving children to this day.

Archived