• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowpack vs Torch

Alpha5

I think we'll easily see low 50s in NYC, and LI aside from the South Shore and Twin Forks of Suffolk County. Guidance is definitely running too low and not accounting for the steady or slowly rising temps tonight.

With that kind of a launching pad, do you think 50 is within easy reach tomorrow?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 52.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Friday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 56. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday looks to be the worst of the heat, we'll see how it plays out. popcorn.gif

I went with 50F for NYC and 46F in Danbury, currently 48F in NYC and 45F at Danbury. Both places stayed steady overnight and have only slowly risen this morning. Temps will probably peak around midday/early afternoon, before they max out and eventually start falling.

MOS was HORRIBLE last night and even the current RUC is a solid 10F too cold in most areas....

Well after a day where the temp rose from the high 30's to the lower 50's with a glaring sun for a good part of the day, the snowpack here remains strongly intact, only shaving 1" of today.

Yesterday: 15"

Today: 14"

Like I said before..two days of 50's will not destroy this pack.

High dewpoints on Friday will, however...kiss most of goodbye by sunset Friday...

I was actually shocked to come home from work to see virtually zero loss to the snow pack, even living in a shady neighborhood with lots of 50+ yr old trees I figured the 57 temp would do its damage. There was a noticeable increase in patching in the nearby fields but enen those are still above 50 % coverage. So, with tonights cold front, looks like at least an other two more days.

High dewpoints on Friday will, however...kiss most of goodbye by sunset Friday...

I will laugh at posts like this when we barely touch 50 on Friday. This part of the winter reminds me of a similar stretch of the winter in 2000-01 when I lived in Madison, NJ but this year just has more snow and a lengthier snowpack. Everyone touted warmups a few days out back then on the good ole Wright Weather bulletin board (try the WWBB Throwback skin out for this board to get a taste for those who don't know what I am talking about) and then reality set in and temperature forecasts (including the NWS) would bust by being constantly five-ten degrees too warm.

I will laugh at posts like this when we barely touch 50 on Friday. This winter reminds me of 2000-01 just with more snow and a lengthiner snowpack. Everyone touted warmups a few days out back then on the good ole Wright Weather bulletin board (try the WWBB Throwback skin out for this board to get a taste) and then reality set in and temperature forecasts (including the NWS) would bust by being constantly five-ten degrees too warm.

I agree with this 2000-2001 comment.

By the way, I have a video of December blizzard of 2010 for Howell, NJ, which got 28 inches....

How close to LI Sound are you? That made a great deal of difference on temps and snow melt today and will again on Thu and Fri.

For instance, BDR was in mid 40s most of the day, aside from a 1.5 hour spike where the temp got into the low 50s. However, areas in SW CT that are inland and don't have much elevation, such as North Stamford and Glenville, got into the upper 50s and were above 50 for about 6 hours.

On Fri, much of interior SW CT will likely exceed 60, but BDR will be lucky to get out of the low 50s.

Well after a day where the temp rose from the high 30's to the lower 50's with a glaring sun for a good part of the day, the snowpack here remains strongly intact, only shaving 1" of today.

Yesterday: 15"

Today: 14"

Like I said before..two days of 50's will not destroy this pack.

Are you kidding me? Temps were about 10 degrees warmer than forecast on Mon, and are likely underforecast on Fri with a similar synoptic pattern.

I will laugh at posts like this when we barely touch 50 on Friday. This winter reminds me of 2000-01 just with more snow and a lengthiner snowpack. Everyone touted warmups a few days out back then on the good ole Wright Weather bulletin board (try the WWBB Throwback skin out for this board to get a taste) and then reality set in and temperature forecasts (including the NWS) would bust by being constantly five-ten degrees too warm.

You are missing the point. Forget the temperature..... Yesterday had dewpoints in the upper 20's. Friday, they will be in the 40's. That will lead to alot of melting, that coupled with Wed and Thursday's warmth will wipe it all out except for areas that had drifts and of course shady areas....and for the record, temps busted TOO HIGH yesteday--calls were for the upper 40's, instead we hit nearly 60 in most spots. Definitely not like 00-01 Not sure what you are looking at but NWS zone forecast has me at 50 Thurs and mid 50's Friday-with no subfreezing lows for Thur, Fri and Sat nights.....accuweather shows similar #'s....

You are missing the point. Forget the temperature..... Yesterday had dewpoints in the upper 20's. Friday, they will be in the 40's. That will lead to alot of melting, that coupled with Wed and Thursday's warmth will wipe it all out except for areas that had drifts and of course shady areas....and for the record, temps busted TOO HIGH yesteday--calls were for the upper 40's, instead we hit nearly 60 in most spots. Definitely not like 00-01 Not sure what you are looking at but NWS zone forecast has me at 50 Thurs and mid 50's Friday-with no subfreezing lows for Thur, Fri and Sat nights.....accuweather shows similar #'s....

I was in CT all day yesterday and it most certainly did not get to 60. 50 at best. I was out in Mystic throughout the day so perhaps the proximity to the sound/ocean contributed to that. I understand your points about dewpoints and it remains to be seen if what you say verifies. I won't believe it until I see it.

I agree with this 2000-2001 comment.

By the way, I have a video of December blizzard of 2010 for Howell, NJ, which got 28 inches....

This is awesome. Thank you so much! Love seeing something like this for my hometown. That total pretty much matches the 1996 blizzard and the clips here resemble exactly what it looked like there during/after the 1996 blizzard. Drifts may have been worse than what I am seeing here in 1996. Digging the cars out from the driveway were much more taxing than it would be here. I had snow roofs over my head while I helped dig out my neighbor's car from the driveway.

Edit: looking again I see some situations depicted here where there were drifts that would have put a snow roof over your head while digging out the cars from the driveway.

I was in CT all day yesterday and it most certainly did not get to 60. 50 at best. I was out in Mystic throughout the day so perhaps the proximity to the sound/ocean contributed to that. I understand your points about dewpoints and it remains to be seen if what you say verifies. I won't believe it until I see it.

We'll see what happens! Mystic/New London areas are among the coolest spots in CT in the spring and early summer btw...

I will laugh at posts like this when we barely touch 50 on Friday. This part of the winter reminds me of a similar stretch of the winter in 2000-01 when I lived in Madison, NJ but this year just has more snow and a lengthier snowpack. Everyone touted warmups a few days out back then on the good ole Wright Weather bulletin board (try the WWBB Throwback skin out for this board to get a taste for those who don't know what I am talking about) and then reality set in and temperature forecasts (including the NWS) would bust by being constantly five-ten degrees too warm.

????? Not hitting 50??? You live in NJ, you will be in the 50s maybe touching 60. Maybe you wont hit the mid 60s like I will in Central Jersey but where are you getting the basis for talking about touting warmups that dont happen. Wasnt yesterday warmer by far than progged. I hit 58. Actually more often than not the warmups are underforecasted as they hedge on going to high

right now I have about 1/3 of the landscape down to bare grass where I am and maybe 1 inch on average elsewhere with the big plowed glacier slowing eroding

????? Not hitting 50??? You live in NJ, you will be in the 50s maybe touching 60. Maybe you wont hit the mid 60s like I will in Central Jersey but where are you getting the basis for talking about touting warmups that dont happen. Wasnt yesterday warmer by far than progged. I hit 58. Actually more often than not the warmups are underforecasted as they hedge on going to high

right now I have about 1/3 of the landscape down to bare grass where I am and maybe 1 inch on average elsewhere with the big plowed glacier slowing eroding

Like I said, I will believe it when I see it. Why should I believe any model guidance three-four days out to get anything right. Yesterday forecasts busted too cold, one example touting cold but turned out warmer whoopty doo but this also proves that guidance was incorrect 24 hours out nevermind 3-4 days out! I am not talking about snowpack eroding or not eroding. I am talking about temperature forecasts or any forecast for that matter being unreliable 3-4 days out.

Cannot believe how much snowcover remains in Eastern Queens, Western/Central Nassau. My yard, shade and sun, still has at minimum 3 inches up to 10 inches where the drifts were + shade...it is also interesting to see the different layers from the storms...This cement is so durable its crazy. Just further south in nassau there is much much less snow, but i gather that northern nassau still must have 6+ in most spots.

How close to LI Sound are you? That made a great deal of difference on temps and snow melt today and will again on Thu and Fri.

For instance, BDR was in mid 40s most of the day, aside from a 1.5 hour spike where the temp got into the low 50s. However, areas in SW CT that are inland and don't have much elevation, such as North Stamford and Glenville, got into the upper 50s and were above 50 for about 6 hours.

On Fri, much of interior SW CT will likely exceed 60, but BDR will be lucky to get out of the low 50s.

Were you surprised we touched 60 here yesterday on the south shore of LI? It actually felt pretty awesome! Im glad the old snowpack is mostly gone, it was getting dirty and yucky. I hope we get a bigtime hot summer like last year-- nothing like W and NW downsloping winds! :thumbsup:

NYC=park. EWR=airport. That's probably the reason why lol. Is EWR seasonal snowfall total more than NYC? I think theyre a few inches ahead.

Now that is likely the reason why!

yeah EWR has 63.3" NYC has 56.1"

Next week: hope to add 2-4" on it, maybe 5".

Archived