joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowpack vs Torch

Alpha5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May have to rethink that now. Newark hit 61 and all of central/south Jersey are in the 63-68 range already

It says 60 here outside my office in Jersey City but it most definitely does not feel that way. I was outside just 5 minutes ago. I think due to the proximity to the water it makes it feel cooler.

Up to 58 here now, although that may be a bit high due to poor sensor placement (a reason why I don't usually say much about our daytime temps IMBY).

There was still over 10" on the stakes this AM. One is now at 10, the other at 9.5. Melt is accelerating in the most sun exposed areas, mostly under evergreens where not as much snow hit the ground in the first place and next to paved areas. However, it isn't a massacre yet, Here are pano shots front and back taken here at 1PM today:

20110217FrontPano-c1-s.jpg

20110217RearPano-c1e1s.jpg

Per parents, we've now gone under 50% coverage of lawns back home in Monmouth County. So today - day 54 of consecutive days with 1"+ on the ground, will be the last of the stretch. It was an awesome run.

NYC should make it to day 55, tomorrow morning, but highly unlikely they still have 1" Saturday morning.

still over a foot in many places . only 1-2 inches melted. full sun areas lost more of course but still majority of yards over 8+

There's still a crazy amount in the woods here...north facing yards probably have 4" but I just went for a run through the nature preserve and we still have hollows with 7-8" in well shaded places. The cooling effect was quite pronounced compared to walking in town or on the exposed ridges/hills, definitely got a lot a chilly in the shorts as I dipped down there.

High of 60.2F in town....now 56.6/40

13" left here. Lowest I could find was 8" on a west facing hill in the woods behind my house.

Otherwise over a foot in most places, only lost a touch over 1" on average today.

Torch-0

Pack-1

How much snow did you get on Jan 11? I know CT did really well with that one and could be part of the reason for your great snowpack.

13" left here. Lowest I could find was 8" on a west facing hill in the woods behind my house.

I was surprised to hear you had that much initially, but going for a long run in the woods makes me understand why...this snowpack in shaded areas has massive resilience and the low dewpoints are keeping it pretty cool right at ground level. I was definitely amazed how deep my feet sank when I went off trail to pick up a couple bottles...still a solid 8" and maybe more on sheltered north-facing aspects. We'll definitely lose some as the dewpoints get higher tomorrow afternoon, but I don't think the heavily snow-covered wooded areas will do that badly tonight...they'll probably get down into the low-mid 30s right near the pack.

Def agree that the snowpack held well today.

There's still a crazy amount in the woods here...north facing yards probably have 4" but I just went for a run through the nature preserve and we still have hollows with 7-8" in well shaded places. The cooling effect was quite pronounced compared to walking in town or on the exposed ridges/hills, definitely got a lot a chilly in the shorts as I dipped down there.

High of 60.2F in town....now 56.6/40

A large part of UHI comprises lack of tree cover and greenery. It's not just the amount of concrete, asphalt, etc.

Otherwise over a foot in most places, only lost a touch over 1" on average today.

Torch-0

Pack-1

Down to 9" here across the Sound as of 10 minutes ago...as long as it doesn't rain...snow melts pretty slow around here...I've seen an inch or two hang on for more than a week in less than ideal conditions. (the glacier type inch / not the powder type)

How much snow did you get on Jan 11? I know CT did really well with that one and could be part of the reason for your great snowpack.

15", places in Central CT did better. Regardless, the SWE in the snowpack is fairly high which can be a reason its so hard to melt. To be honest I've never seen anything like this...temps above freezing all day, partial sunlight, mid february with highs in the 50's and only 1" off the snowpack in most places.

That 60" in January is really showing scooter.gif

A large part of UHI comprises lack of tree cover and greenery. It's not just the amount of concrete, asphalt, etc.

It's all exponential....lack of tree cover/greenery means the sun melts the snow more, which means you get less protection from surface heating during the day, making it hard to hold your snow pack...You have a series of positive feedback loops involved that make it very hard for areas like the South Shore to hold snow cover. You add in a lot of heat from cars and buildings, and it's really tough. Here in town, south-facing slopes are completely barren with patchy snow cover on north-facing areas....but once you get away from downtown, there's a lot more snow cover. Wooded areas at 350-400' elevation still have 100% coverage with some spots as deep as 8"...

46.1/39

FAIR

Down to 9" here across the Sound as of 10 minutes ago...as long as it doesn't rain...snow melts pretty slow around here...I've seen an inch or two hang on for more than a week in less than ideal conditions. (the glacier type inch / not the powder type)

Same here W. I actually went around and sampled tonight. 9" average.

Quite amazing how resilient your snow pack has been. Snow cover in Port. Jefferson and Smithtown has been running much closer to reports from coastal southern CT than to reports from most of the rest of the North Shore of LI. For instance, as of Thu morning, Mount Sinai had 2" on the ground, Centerport had 3" and Crab Meadow (0.5 mi from LI Sound near Northport) had 3".

Most interesting is the difference from Mount Sinai, which is only about 3miles from Port Jefferson. (The co-op observer there is located about 2 miles from LI Sound, in the southern part of Mount Sinai). Their snowfall reports seem off - they only had 12.8" in the Jan 11-12 event, when you had 18".

Here's snowfall and snow cover data from Jan-Feb 2011 for Mount Sinai:

http://mesonet.agron...network=NY_COOP

By the way, Upton only lost 1" of snow cover from Wed morning to Thu evening. They still had 4" as of 7PM Thu evening. I think they just might make it to Sat with 1" remaining.

Quite amazing how resilient your snow pack has been. Snow cover in Port. Jefferson and Smithtown is much closer to co-op stations in southern CT than to reports from most of the rest of the North Shore - probably relates to having less urbanization than areas further west on the North Shore of Suffolk. For instance, as of Thu morning, Mount Sinai had 2", Centerport had 3" and Crab Meadow (0.5 mi from LI Sound near Northport) had 3".

By the way, Upton only lost 1" of snow cover from Wed morning to Thu evening.

I drive through Mt. Sinai most days to go to the store or get gasoline (the town is a few hundred feet away) and the 2" report is bogus...

That makes me wonder how accurate/representative snow depth reports are from other co-op observers. They are trained, but it could be the Mt. Sinai observer is measuring snow depth mainly in the sun with a southern exposure, and not including enough areas in the shade with a northern exposure.

I drive through Mt. Sinai most days to go to the store or get gasoline (the town is a few hundred feet away) and the 2" report is bogus...

That makes me wonder how accurate/representative snow depth reports are from other co-op observers. They are trained, but it could be the Mt. Sinai observer is measuring snow depth mainly in the sun with a southern exposure, and not including enough areas in the shade with a northern exposure.

Location location location. If I measured in a barespot, I'd be reporting nothing (like ISP). It's usually a judgement call since snowcover is highly variable when it falls and becomes more variable with age, but some of these snowdepth obs are very obviously non-representative (obvious to those of us who live here).

Archived