• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowpack vs Torch

Alpha5

Many places will still have 12" of snowpack left when the torch begins next week. While differences in models exist, the consensus is for a couple days over 50 possibly pushing into the 60's in some places, before the cold air returns.

So, in your backyard who comes out on top? Will the snowpack withstand the major torch or will it succumb to the warmest weather this winter?

IMBY Prediction

Current Snowpack: 15"

Predicted Snowpack after Torch: 5"

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably nothing but piles left after the torch. I've got 10" of glacier but I don't have too much faith with two consecutive days probably near 60F and more importantly overnights above freezing.

I agree with this.

I will have a trace amount on the ground.

there will be nothing left

im wondering how much i will have left

ill probabyl lose about a foot at least

Except for perhaps a few inches on Wed. and Thurs., I think you'll be safe thru at least early March. :snowman:

Per Environment Canada:

Metro Montréal - Laval.

Today..Snow. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h this

afternoon. High minus 3.

Tonight..Snow becoming mixed with rain overnight. Snowfall amount 5

to 10 cm. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h near midnight. Temperature

rising to plus 1 by morning.

Monday..Snow mixed with rain changing to rain near noon and ending

late in the afternoon then clearing. Wind southwest 20 km/h gusting

to 40 becoming northwest 30 gusting to 50 early in the afternoon.

High plus 2.

Tuesday..Sunny. Low minus 17. High minus 7.

Wednesday..Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries or rain showers.

Low minus 10. High plus 5.

Thursday..Cloudy. Low plus 2. High 8.

Friday..Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries or rain showers.

Low minus 1. High plus 2.

Saturday..Periods of snow. Low minus 6. High minus 6.

Normals for the period..Low minus 13. High minus 4.

Central Park took a beating yesterday and today especially. We still have approximately 2-4" or 3-5" left, but that could be 1-3" in the next few hours. The slopes that are facing west, like the hill I take my son sledding on, are still in decent shape, but I'm guessing I'll start seeing some mud even there sometime on Tuesday. With that in mind, I plan on taking him for one last hurrah tomorrow afternoon. It's been quite a ride, and it really is amazing to think that I've had the opportunity to take him sledding for the the last 45+ days. In my 6+ years living in Manhattan, I'm not sure there has ever been a stretch that exceeded 14 days of snowpack, and here we are approaching 50. What a winter!

Best chances to keep any snowpack will be LI and Coastal CT with seabreeze keeping temps lower during the warmer days. Otherwise most places will only have the plow piles left after this week's warmup IMO.

I can assure you, at least in western LI there will NOTHNG left other than the huge piles...my backyard and most of my front yard are already bare (other than the areas that are piles from placing the shoveled snow on)....

and if I knew how to add a pic (way to inept) I would show a pic I just took of my backyard

Central Park took a beating yesterday and today especially. We still have approximately 2-4" or 3-5" left, but that could be 1-3" in the next few hours. The slopes that are facing west, like the hill I take my son sledding on, are still in decent shape, but I'm guessing I'll start seeing some mud even there sometime on Tuesday. With that in mind, I plan on taking him for one last hurrah tomorrow afternoon. It's been quite a ride, and it really is amazing to think that I've had the opportunity to take him sledding for the the last 45+ days. In my 6+ years living in Manhattan, I'm not sure there has ever been a stretch that exceeded 14 days of snowpack, and here we are approaching 50. What a winter!

Not really. Central Park still had 8" as of yesterday.

Here in Monmouth County, I'm at 48F right now, but snowpack is essentially the same. The abundant cloud cover definitely helped out, but this high-density glacier is going to need a 60+ day to take a big hit.

I don't think 3-5" at this point is a bad guess. There has been a lot of melting overnight and all day today. Maybe Central park zoo has some magical snowpack saving power, but 5" is a stretch where I live, and I'm only 1/2 mile west of there.:gun_bandana::snowman:

About 1" melting for this entire weekend here, too cloudy and the nights were sub 20 still. With this high density snowpack we're going to need more than a 50 degree day to melt it.

I did notice late this afternoon, the top layer was softening up a bit as I now sink down a couple inches when walking on it.

I am guessing/hoping that the piles of snow that are taking up valuable street parking spots by me in Queens, will be gone by the time I get home from Florida on Saturday.

Many places will still have 12" of snowpack left when the torch begins next week. While differences in models exist, the consensus is for a couple days over 50 possibly pushing into the 60's in some places, before the cold air returns.

So, in your backyard who comes out on top? Will the snowpack withstand the major torch or will it succumb to the warmest weather this winter?

IMBY Prediction

Current Snowpack: 15"

Predicted Snowpack after Torch: 5"

I know haha check out my sig. The temp is rising tonight, not falling. It was 41.2 at midnight now its 42.6

BTW do you think the colder pattern that sets in this weekend is the pattern change back to colder weather and is sustained or just a temporary drop like Tuesday is going to be?

What's left of my snowpack doesnt seem to want to melt-- 50 days and counting with at least 1" snowcover!

BTW do you think the colder pattern that sets in this weekend is the pattern change back to colder weather and is sustained or just a temporary drop like Tuesday is going to be?

What's left of my snowpack doesnt seem to want to melt-- 50 days and counting with at least 1" snowcover!

I think the cold shot will be more sustained than Tuesday, but there will probably be a SW flow event/gradient storm after that which could change NYC over to rain. I would imagine we're done with temperatures in the 60s for a while after Friday, and we'll get at least 2 days with highs in the low-mid 30s over the weekend, but what happens beyond that is open to interpretation. Analogs suggest that a more permanent trough builds into the East for the first week of March, so that might be the best chance to get a coastal and sustained below normal readings. I wouldn't be surprised if we start out with a gradient pattern next weekend as the -NAO builds in, some snow-->rain events in late February, and then get into a snowier pattern in early March as the -PNA gradually fades.

I think the cold shot will be more sustained than Tuesday, but there will probably be a SW flow event/gradient storm after that which could change NYC over to rain. I would imagine we're done with temperatures in the 60s for a while after Friday, and we'll get at least 2 days with highs in the low-mid 30s over the weekend, but what happens beyond that is open to interpretation. Analogs suggest that a more permanent trough builds into the East for the first week of March, so that might be the best chance to get a coastal and sustained below normal readings. I wouldn't be surprised if we start out with a gradient pattern next weekend as the -NAO builds in, some snow-->rain events in late February, and then get into a snowier pattern in early March as the -PNA gradually fades.

Sounds somewhat like late Feb - early Mar 2009

Sounds somewhat like late Feb - early Mar 2009

Yes definitely, seeing some similarities there. I wasn't home for the March 2009 storm, was in Southern Chile where it was the midst of a summertime heat wave with temperatures in the 90ssun.gif

Felt weird after it was 32F and extremely blustery at JFK, landed at Santiago to summertime weather and fresh produce markets all over. The weather turned torrid a couple days into my trip though as +20C 850s made it all the way down towards Puerto Montt in Southern Chile, very unusual but not unheard of in a La Niña summer. We didn't get much of a cooldown until late March/early April, was a long stretch of above average temperatures in Chile.

Yes definitely, seeing some similarities there. I wasn't home for the March 2009 storm, was in Southern Chile where it was the midst of a summertime heat wave with temperatures in the 90ssun.gif

Felt weird after it was 32F and extremely blustery at JFK, landed at Santiago to summertime weather and fresh produce markets all over. The weather turned torrid a couple days into my trip though as +20C 850s made it all the way down towards Puerto Montt in Southern Chile, very unusual but not unheard of in a La Niña summer. We didn't get much of a cooldown until late March/early April, was a long stretch of above average temperatures in Chile.

When did you leave to go to Chile? Was it in late Feb?

it will be interesting to see what happens later today. temps slowly rising overnight here. I knew the forecasts for lows in the upper 20s were suspicious, but we may not even fall much at all! currently at 40F

With that kind of a launching pad, do you think 50 is within easy reach tomorrow?

When did you leave to go to Chile? Was it in late Feb?

I left for Chile on February 20th and returned to the US on July 4th....I experienced the huge heat wave there in late February, and then the constant rains of winter on the Pacific coastline; we had plenty of weeks with over 5" rainfall and high winds, just a deluge from the incessant storms tracking through the Southern Ocean and hitting us with WAA precip. I think the coldest day had a high around 40F and a low in the upper 20s, but I wasn't there for the whole winter. We had several hard freezes but never got below the mid 20s in Valdivia, Chile around 39S. Most winter days were upper 40s with gray skies and rain, very morose climate during the cold season. Not too far from the High Andes though.

Archived