Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Snowpack vs Torch

Alpha5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 2011 nicely demonstrating impact of snowcover / reduction of temps. Chose two Atlantic coast stations / similarly situated / good radiaters / outside heat islands.

Atlantic City Airport has had bare ground almost all of February 2011...and they are running a temp departure from normal of +3.4 through the 23rd.

Upton / OKX has had snow on the ground every day this month and they are running -1.7 through the 23rd.

The other interesting thing I took notice of is if you look at last Feb to this year of course last year had about 8x more snow at EWR. Last year was below normal by about half a degree and this year 1.5 above. Yet despite snowpack the true lack of arctic air was apparent as temps dropped below 20 only once all of last February. This year it has happened 6 times.

February 2011 nicely demonstrating impact of snowcover / reduction of temps. Chose two Atlantic coast stations / similarly situated / good radiaters / outside heat islands.

Atlantic City Airport has had bare ground almost all of February 2011...and they are running a temp departure from normal of +3.4 through the 23rd.

Upton / OKX has had snow on the ground every day this month and they are running -1.7 through the 23rd.

William, what is the departure at the greatest natural radiator on the planet-- Westhampton Beach? ;)

William, what is the departure at the greatest natural radiator on the planet-- Westhampton Beach? ;)

I don't know...their records are not free on the 'net...and I'm not even sure if they're published.

I don't know...their records are not free on the 'net...and I'm not even sure if they're published.

The only record of theirs I remember is their snowfall record-- I think they got 83" of snow there in 1995-96 breaking a record from near the turn of the century.

The only record of theirs I remember is their snowfall record-- I think they got 83" of snow there in 1995-96 breaking a record from near the turn of the century.

I think that's Bridgehampton, not Westhampton.

Despite temps well into the 40s most of Friday, the snow pack has survived to live another day in parts of coastal southern CT and the North Shore of LI.

The NWS co-op observer in Centerport, LI had 3" snow cover on Thu morning and still maintained 1" by Sat morning.

The co-op observer in Stratford, CT (just inland from LI Sound, near Bridgeport) had 6" on Thu morning and 4" on Sat morning.

I'm curious how William and NorthShoreWx fared in Port Jefferson and Smithtown, respectively.

Despite temps well into the 40s most of Friday, the snow pack has survived to live another day in parts of coastal southern CT and the North Shore of LI.

The NWS co-op observer in Centerport, LI had 3" snow cover on Thu morning and still maintained 1" by Sat morning.

The co-op observer in Stratford, CT (just inland from LI Sound, near Bridgeport) had 6" on Thu morning and 4" on Sat morning.

I'm curious how William and NorthShoreWx fared in Port Jefferson and Smithtown, respectively.

I've been debating whether or not to list today (Saturday) as a day with snow cover...probably around 50% of the property is snow covered with an inch or so...

Wow, how far back do their records go?

Bridgehampton to August 1, 1930...and I believe the original observer is still doing the record keeping.

In Laurel Hollow we have 90 percent coverage with as much as 5 inches in the shaddy spots and over 6 inches in the woods.

Looks like you guys will hold onto the snow cover the longest of anywhere on Long Island. Arent you just south of Glen Cove with somewhat more elevation? I know Roslyn is another area that still has significant snowcover and East Hills of course.

Looks like you guys will hold onto the snow cover the longest of anywhere on Long Island. Arent you just south of Glen Cove with somewhat more elevation? I know Roslyn is another area that still has significant snowcover and East Hills of course.

eh...i live about a mile south of east hills and there is definitely NOT extensive snow cover...maybe 20%,,,and im 3 miles south of roslyn at an elevation around 200 feet...

In Laurel Hollow we have 90 percent coverage with as much as 5 inches in the shaddy spots and over 6 inches in the woods.

eh...i live about a mile south of east hills and there is definitely NOT extensive snow cover...maybe 20%,,,and im 3 miles south of roslyn at an elevation around 200 feet...

Laurel Hollow is not near Glen Cove or East Hills...it is in extreme NE Nassau right on the Suffolk border / adjacent to Cold Spring Harbor.

It's elevations extend from sea level along Cold Spring Harbor, to an est. max of 200,' based upon a quick glance of a gen. top. map for western LI.

Laurel Hollow is not near Glen Cove or East Hills...it is in extreme NE Nassau right on the Suffolk border / adjacent to Cold Spring Harbor.

Oh, I thought it was never Glen Cove because someone was asking for Glen Cove snowfall totals and a member said to add a half inch to Laurel Hollow's totals because LH was just south of there.

Nonetheless..... why do you think LH might have more snowcover? Is it at the right spot between oceanic influence (far enough west) but also far enough east to have benefited from Jan 11, 2011? That snowbomb hit you guys good, but here it was just a moderate event with the sun back out at sunrise.

LHSnow, based on your travels, would you say your area has the most snowcover left of any place on LI you've been to?

Our snowcover out this way lasted from Dec 26, 2010 to February 15, 2011. It started to vanish rapidly when we hit 60 on Valentine's Day and we finished up with a total of 52 consecutive days of snow cover. Probably the most this area has had (at least since 1947-48 if not the 1800s.)

We are 3 miles North of Route 25 which seems to be an importanting dividing line in Easterrn Nassau and Western Suffolk. The reason that I think that we still have snow this year has to do more with the fact that we have colder nights and have been able to a refreeze the snow pack almost every night this winter. There were a couple events earlier in the season where we held below freezing a lot longer than the South Shore so we ended up with more sleet and freezing rain. I think we did a little bit better than everyone in the storm that we had last Monday. I grew up in Rockville Centre and I remember driving up to Great Neck to see my grandparents and I was always amazed at the difference that I would see with snow cover.

We are 3 miles North of Route 25 which seems to be an importanting dividing line in Easterrn Nassau and Western Suffolk. The reason that I think that we still have snow this year has to do more with the fact that we have colder nights and have been able to a refreeze the snow pack almost every night this winter. There were a couple events earlier in the season where we held below freezing a lot longer than the South Shore so we ended up with more sleet and freezing rain. I think we did a little bit better than everyone in the storm that we had last Monday. I grew up in Rockville Centre and I remember driving up to Great Neck to see my grandparents and I was always amazed at the difference that I would see with snow cover.

Yea, last Monday was the storm I was thinking about-- Mt. Sinai got 5.3 inches in that one. What did you get?

Also, are you close to Muttontown? They seem to have the coldest nights in Nassau County and I see them frequently approaching Westhampton Beach temps on nights of great radiational cooling. I wonder if member UofMiami has snowcover comparable to yours. I remember he had snowcover from December through March in the 2008-09 winter.

We do not drop as fast as the Muttontown spot because I think he is lower in a valley - we are on higher ground. It is fairly normal for the temperature on a still night to drop 4 to 8 degrees from LIE to my house which is only 4.5 miles south of me. In the last storm we had 4.5 inches.

Yeah my station is at 154ft elevation in Muttontown. My step-dad's old house in Laurel Hollow (Laurel Lane) always was colder compared to Great Neck by around 10 or so degrees when I was a kid. Never had a weather station setup in Laurel Hollow so never got to see how quickly temps dropped.

Yeah my station is at 154ft elevation in Muttontown. My step-dad's old house in Laurel Hollow (Laurel Lane) always was colder compared to Great Neck by around 10 or so degrees when I was a kid. Never had a weather station setup in Laurel Hollow so never got to see how quickly temps dropped.

Well, speak of the devil! :) How much snowcover do you have in Muttontown? Is it comparable to the pic he posted of the Laurel Hollow snow cover?

Well, speak of the devil! :) How much snowcover do you have in Muttontown? Is it comparable to the pic he posted of the Laurel Hollow snow cover?

When I was out at my parent's house last weekend most of the snow was gone & I was expecting more snowcover too. I would venture a guess to say Laurel Hollow has more snowcover. I'll be at the house tomorrow, but I am sure I won't be changing my guess that Laurel Hollow has more snowcover unfortunately.

Archived