12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
GL/MW/OV December 2010 disco thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS, Euro, and GEM have been pretty consistent with the storm around the 4th. I have a pretty good feeling about this system for some reason. Maybe it's because it fits in nicely with the last several years, in that a large storm impacts much of the Midwest the first week of Dec. Looks like it could be a nice wide swath of snow accumulations, followed by very cold air. It also looks like there's a lot of energy off the west coast for some additional storm systems beyond that weekend. It's a loooooong way off, but at this point there's really nothing else to look at.

D9-10 storm on the EURO still warm, but it would only take a small shift south to change everything. In fact, even with the current track there might be a SN-PL-ZR-RA transition on the front side. It's hard to tell with the freebie maps. Ridging over Greenland and a 50/50 over NFLD as well at 240. Just need a bit more ridging along the west coast. But still, a lot of positive signs.

This is the 4th or 5th run in a row where the GFS is showing a massive gyre in the W Atlantic, spinning in place for days on end.

gfs_500_300m.gif

Ensures we stay cold, but not great for storms.

Something tells me this won't happen and its the GFS on crack yet again. though if it does downwind of the lakes would be crushed.

This is the 4th or 5th run in a row where the GFS is showing a massive gyre in the W Atlantic, spinning in place for days on end.

gfs_500_300m.gif

lol at the 300hr GFS. I make myself not go past 240 :P. That would good for clippers and LES though. IF that keeps showing up and ends up verifying, I'll eat my words and start watching past 240 for trends.

gfs_500_300m.gif

I keep having this fear that we will be getting the squeeze play here with wintry stuff to the north and maybe 1 or 2 passing south/east coast lows. Maybe just paranoia though. Much more confident in the pattern biasing cold as we open the month.

Well the good news is that I don't really have anything to support it. Just sorta wondering out loud. The pattern looks to be below average more often than not at least through the first 10 days of the month which is a good starting point.

It's a delicate balancing act around here. This past week and next week feature some good moisture feed, but no cold. Then we look to turn cold toward the end of the week, but where's the precip? Like Alek said, maybe we can squeeze something out around the 4th.

Im definitely loving the potential with the December 4th - 5th storm. It Looks like it could be a good west to east snow event for someone (Chicago to Detroit or Indianapolis to Columbus?). :snowman:

It's the best threat we've had this entire season, and supression looks to be the rule this time around.

Archived