• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
General NYC OBS/Disco Thread

Dsnowx53

Since the current weather threads are for "storm threats", which are pretty much irrelevant at this point, I figured I'd start a thread where we can have general current weather talk along with OBS and such. And maybe talk about current snowpack...things of that nature. Basically all weather that isn't directly related to a particular storm threat.

I'll start with linking John's (earthlight's) blog. John and I just updated the forecast packages.

http://www.nymetrowx.blogspot.com/

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35.3/34...light mix coming to an end. Still interested in the banding back in PA.

About 10" of snowpack in my yards with well over a foot left in the wooded hillsides. South facing exposed areas have almost no snow cover, however, so it's quite a contrast around here with the February sun doing its dirty work.

Arctic cold should stop the meltdown for a while, and then a gradient pattern looks to develop with northern stream disturbances expected over the weekend, and possibly again next week (as per 0z GFS and ECM). We'll probably deal with a few days of mild conditions later on but the 0z ECM shows an impressive -EPO/-NAO developing at Day 10..blocking really beginning to buckle the flow and squeeze the PV towards Canada.

I'm wondering if snow mixed in over eastern Suffolk County around 5-6AM. A few stations there saw the temp drop to about 33F when the heavy precip. moved in around dawn.

http://classic.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNYMANOR3

http://classic.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNYRIVER5

Yep, the temp has been the same all night (38-39) and winds are still S...... getting moderate rain. Im pretty sure there will be 0 snow with this system in our area.

By the way another very impressive storm in the midsection of the country. Parts of Kansas have heavy snow with temps around 0 and wind chills of -35 and expecting up to a foot. Pretty rare for them to get those types of amounts. Wonder what kind of ratios they must be getting?

I was just going to comment on this. Several obs of -1F in heavy snow with winds gusting to 40 in western Kansas.

That snow squall that came through Warren and Morris Counties earlier was rather impressive, dropping a quick inch of snow. The squall was well modeled by the GFS on the 18z run but did not show at all on the NAM. The NAM was horrible with yesterday's storm with the precipitation placement, but did well with the temperatures. The NAM did not show this late effect band at all. The NAM gets a huge thumbs down from me for precipitation placement the last two days but a thumbs up for temperatures. What is up with the horrible precipitation depictions yesterday and today in comparison to the nearly perfect job by the GFS?

22.5 wind chill is butt cold. Still have at least 6" of slab slate like frozen substance everyware, looks like snow until you walk on it. Amazing that there's still dec 26 blizzard snow in there still. Wonder if it can hold out to 50 days continous snow cover. It took a big hit the last 4 days, had 15" on Friday so, we' ll see.

By the way another very impressive storm in the midsection of the country. Parts of Kansas have heavy snow with temps around 0 and wind chills of -35 and expecting up to a foot. Pretty rare for them to get those types of amounts. Wonder what kind of ratios they must be getting?

I believe ratios are between 15:1 and 20:1 with the Kansas storm, as per the Western threads. Parts of NW Kansas had 850s of -21C today with moderate snow falling, so there's definitely some powder going on out there. Oklahoma is also getting hammered pretty hard with this wave....Tulsa is expecting 2-4" of snow tonight and 3-5" tomorrow; if this storm works out, the city should have over 30" on the season, quite remarkable considering its latitude is only 36N combined with the dry climate in the Southern Plains.

That snow squall that came through Warren and Morris Counties earlier was rather impressive, dropping a quick inch of snow. The squall was well modeled by the GFS on the 18z run but did not show at all on the NAM. The NAM was horrible with yesterday's storm with the precipitation placement, but did well with the temperatures. The NAM did not show this late effect band at all. The NAM gets a huge thumbs down from me for precipitation placement the last two days but a thumbs up for temperatures. What is up with the horrible precipitation depictions yesterday and today in comparison to the nearly perfect job by the GFS?

The NAM just had the whole system modeled a bit too far offshore, and it's generally inaccurate in complex synoptic situations. Overall, I'd feel much more comfortable using the NAM for temperatures than QPF.

Anyway, I'm down to 17.3/5 here...the low dewpoints and crisp NW winds feel great after a few days of very mild weather. We should be staying pretty cold until at least next Tuesday. I'm hoping to get down near 10F tonight and then stay in the upper 20s tomorrow to prevent any further loss of snowpack. About 10" remains on my front lawn with 12-16" in the wooded nature preserve behind my house, which lies at around 400' elevation in its higher interior spots.

Just back from a warmer place and its amazing the turn of events from when I left this past weekend to now. There were storms to track and load of potential for this weekl, now we go trackless for a while. Like an addict needing their fix, bring ont he next storm potential and bring it on quickly..

Just back from a warmer place and its amazing the turn of events from when I left this past weekend to now. There were storms to track and load of potential for this weekl, now we go trackless for a while. Like an addict needing their fix, bring ont he next storm potential and bring it on quickly..

Honestly I'm happy we're getting a bit of a break right now. I like the fact that it is sunny, cold and there is snow on the ground. It was getting ridiculous tracking all these threats for what seemed like every day for 6 weeks. I'd love for more snow this winter, and I definitely think we have a couple storms on our plate before the winter is over, but a break is kind of necessary since there are other important things going on in my life that need attention too lol.

Archived