• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
General NYC OBS/Disco Thread

Dsnowx53

although it's cold out there, high temps made it to at least 28F at Danbury. MOS has been consistently too low with highs on these "cold" days for the past few weeks. MOS kept spitting out 22-25F and even though I tacked on a couple of degrees to guidance, will likely still be too low.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing its a God Awful model

I wouldn't be surprised to see some 60F readings at the usual warm spots like EWR before the frontal passage if we get strong SW winds and sun breaking out....the models show a pretty big cutter tracking through the Plains, so we're going to be in a very powerful warm sector with the cold air from the polar vortex retreating into Northern Canada. Westchester will probably be in the mid 50s one day with another day around 50F. The x-factor will be if the winds are more southerly than progged, which will bring in cold air from the frigid ocean....SSTs are pretty chilly now that it's mid February and we've had significantly below normal temperatures since Thanksgiving.

Anyway, it's been cold in Westchester again the last two days...winter marches on and the bit of standing water on ponds has refrozen with the snowpack taking on that glossy, icy look again. Yesterday had a high of 28.6F after a low of 18.5F, yet another sub-freezing day in a winter that has featured more sub-freezing days than I ever remember in NYC metro. We had strong cold air advection throughout the day which allowed for a mix of sun and clouds, preventing the sun angle from warming us up too much earlier in the day.

It's currently 34.9/15 after a chilly morning low temperature of 14.9F, very cold for mid-February. Temperatures rose a bit more than expected today; you can tell it's late in the winter with cold air advection dying quickly and sunny days coming in warmer than forecasted due to the increasing sun angle. There's a certain mildness to the air lately, even when temperatures are in the mid 30s, as I'm starting to become aware of the sun's warmth again. It's a nice feeling but certainly a melancholy one, knowing the best of winter is probably behind us for the season.

70 is highly unlikely. Were going to need 850's way above 10 to get to 70. I think many places touch 60 maybe 1 or 2 low 60's but 70 is a stretch

i've noticed +10 h85 temps were a good benchmark for 70 degree readings last spring with a southwest wind. DC-PHL is more likely to reach it but I could see places like EWR making a run for it as well.

once the snowpack is gone, it will be off to the races temp wise...

By the time the warm up erases the snow pack completely it will be back to winter and highs below 40 and lows in the 20's. That snow pack is a very hard crust in many areas - not that easy to melt - need at least 4 or 5 days above 50 with lows above freezing to get manily bare ground because no rain is in the forecast this is for areas outside the metro cities .............

SXUS71 KOKX 111724

RERISP

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1222 PM EST FRI FEB 11 2011

...RECORD DAILY MINIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT ISLIP NY

A RECORD DAILY MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 9 DEGREES WAS SET AT ISLIP NY

AT 6:51 AM THIS MORNING. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 11 DEGREES

SET IN 2008.

$$

SXUS71 KOKX 111724

RERISP

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1222 PM EST FRI FEB 11 2011

...RECORD DAILY MINIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT ISLIP NY

A RECORD DAILY MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 9 DEGREES WAS SET AT ISLIP NY

AT 6:51 AM THIS MORNING. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 11 DEGREES

SET IN 2008.

$$

A record low of +9 on February 11 isn't particularly impressive for this part of the country, but in fairness, the Islip climate record is quite short.

Also, Westhampton fell to +2 this morning.

record low at HPN for today is -10

Even KNYC has a sub-zero record low for today (-2)...though it was achieved in the 19th century.

24.1 after a high of 39 here. As long as we have these nights well below freezing, at least in suburbia, it's going to be hard to melt much of the snow. Especially considering high temps will be about normal through Tuesday. The big melt period potential is really Wednesday-Saturday when lows will probably remain above 32 even outside of NYC. Maybe we'll make it to the 47-48 record of friday the 18th. It's a stretch, but I wouldn't completely write it off. We'll probably make it to Wednesday, but if Thurs/Fri torch to 60F with full sun, that snowpack will be exterminated rather quickly.

Archived