• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 8-12 model Discussion II

Isopycnic

It looks like Burger's Bermuda Snow Triangle has expanded 100 miles in each direction!!

The mountains, lack of good east winds, and a dying 5H coming into confluent flow all spell demise in this part of NC I'm afraid. The models are clearly showing that now. However from the Apps, west, southwest and even north, not to mention east, get snow. Its just a bad setup here, esp. with no 850 low and good surface low, the 5H doesn't tap the Gulf enough, and moisture probably splits.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the models are fairly coming into agreement with this one...There are differences, yes, but it's nothing like how the models handled last storm. I can only hope the two lows turn into one big one and do a NW trend....:rolleyes: Last call is the 0z Euro...if the Euro shows a solution close to the GFS I'll have to admit throwing in the towel on this one for my area. Good luck all for the (possibly) last snow of the season.

The mountains, lack of good east winds, and a dying 5H coming into confluent flow all spell demise in this part of NC I'm afraid. The models are clearly showing that now. However from the Apps, west, southwest and even north, not to mention east, get snow. Its just a bad setup here, esp. with no 850 low and good surface low, the 5H doesn't tap the Gulf enough, and moisture probably splits.

This seems to be the general pattern for any moisture coming up from the Gulf to the Carolinas so far this winter. The moisture looks good, then falls apart as it heads toward central South and North Carolina. RDU NWS is only calling for very light accumulation and temperatures on Wednesday will reach 46 F with 36 F on Thursday, so no extreme cold temperatures. My thoughts are tha,t should things remain as they currently are, central NC will see very light cold rain to a dusting of snow. Heavier rainfall will be to the east as has occurred in the past two rain events. I'd like to see something much heavier for the Triangle so Falls Lake can be filled, but I don't think it will happen this week.

I'm not considering this a fail because I was saying 3 days ago this wasn't going to amount to anything. Winter ended when we got screwed on the Jan 26th storm and I got chewed out for saying that even then, so go ahead and block me for being right. Happy Spring everyone!!

Winter does not end until mid April.

I'm not considering this a fail because I was saying 3 days ago this wasn't going to amount to anything. Winter ended when we got screwed on the Jan 26th storm and I got chewed out for saying that even then, so go ahead and block me for being right. Happy Spring everyone!!

You're full of it Nelson. This is a Nina year and Ninas are notorious for late season tanking of the NAO and the cold being delivered well into spring. Don't get me wrong, I would love some warmth when it's time but this is Feb 7th for cripes sake!

dont think itll be rain east of RDU SunCat, not with -4 850's

Sorry, you're right. I should have said 'precipitation'. I think you will see some accumulation where you are, but the extreme coastal regions will more likely have a rain/snow mix as things stand right now.

Well, I haven't given up yet.

0z RGEM looks a bit healthier with our southern stream and pops a low right on the La. coast at 48 hours. Comparing its precip field to the 12z GGEM at 60 hours, the 0z RGEM is somewhat more impressive. Grasping at straws? Maybe. But at least I'm not AirNelson.

I don't think you are... the RUC continues to be MUCH stronger than the other american model guidance. If the European models come in stronger than their 12z runs, then I'd still say game on.

With the last few events, the RUC has been far superior to both the GFS and the NAM with at least depicting precipitation. Perhaps it might score another coop here?

r2j0ue.gif

0z RGEM looks a bit healthier with our southern stream and pops a low right on the La. coast at 48 hours. Comparing its precip field to the 12z GGEM at 60 hours, the 0z RGEM is somewhat more impressive. Grasping at straws? Maybe. But at least I'm not AirNelson.

Yeah, it looks great for OK and AR, a super 6-10" snowstorm for the majority of the state. Got a nice SLP on the tip of the boot in LA and heading our way with plenty of cold air here and, poof, just like it's gone. Hard to fathom.

Can you post any of the maps? I need something to give this ole weenie a soid false hope!!

Archived