Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 7-8 Potential Storm

jconsor

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second S/W coming through the lakes is hurting us in so many ways. First off its missing the initial phase and kicking the initial wave offshore. Second its forming a secondary low and suppressing heights along the coast. We need both S/W to phase and that looks unlikely atm.

A lack of phasing will probably end up hurting us in the late week system also.

Wow....we're all snowed out...00z GEM at 60 hours anyone?????

http://www.weatherof...ast/695_100.gif

I started another thread in the general forum before seeing this thread (still getting used to this format)... anyhow, I commented on how there are quite a few favorable factors on the GFS and NAM, yet no surface low until it's too late. So despite a potent jet streak across the Mid-Atlantic, more than adequate DPVA, and strong lift with robust frontogenesis the low doesn't get cranking until it's east of the Benchmark? Seems strange to me... I'd be concerned that a decent strope of snow sets up from central Long Island to the Cape, at the least.

Also, has anyone else noticed how well the GGEM has done this season relative to the GFS? I've seen the GGEM and ECMWF advertise similar solutions several times this season in contrast to the NAM and GFS -- and each time the American models have performed in a subpar fashion.

srefs have definately trended stronger and colder. Several have the deform axis moving over the area and I would bet dollars to donuts we see a huge jump at 21z. This storm is starting to act like the other ones this year, stronger and wetter and colder closer to the event. H5 on the NAM is still trending stronger too!

NAM is having troubloe organizing the energy off the coast, suspicious its not able to resolve the explosive development and is focusing the development on the lead energy and not the energy closer to the trough. Fun day of model watching coming on this little guy.

On a down note, we are still gonna have boundary layer temp problems here. Only way to overcome that is to have a stronger system closer to the coast so we can get into a dynamic cooling situation and also have the colder surface air to the north sucked towards the surface low.

On a down note, we are still gonna have boundary layer temp problems here. Only way to overcome that is to have a stronger system closer to the coast so we can get into a dynamic cooling situation and also have the colder surface air to the north sucked towards the surface low.

Looks as though we may be heading for exactly that solution in the end. Still some time to go........but not that much

Archived