• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 7-8 Potential Storm

jconsor

I wanted to start a thread on the system developing on the arctic front early next week.

GFS ensembles are trending toward a more significant wave on the arctic front late Mon night into Tue as a shortwave digs more strongly into the TN Valley. 4 of the 6z GFS ensemble members now bring significant QPF (over 0.25") to the entire NYC area, and another one clips eastern LI with over 0.25". Only 1 of the 0z GFS ensemble members had over 0.25" QPF for any part of the NYC area.

Most of the members showing significant QPF show the storm deepening around 20-24 mb in 12 hours as it heads SE of Cape Cod.

While most here are glued to the Feb 9-10 threat, this is more imminent and has potential if current trends continue.

post-88-0-33556400-1296828720.gif

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, and the formation of this system also has major implications on where the 9-11th storm will track..Correct me if I'm wrong, but a stronger developing system on the 7-8th would probably aid in a further east track of the 9-11th threat.

If this storm blows up, there's our pseudo-50/50.

If this storm blows up, there's our pseudo-50/50.

Yeah agreed, that all still relies on good timing as even if its a stronger storm it will still move through the 50/50 position quickly. I was thinking more along the lines of just shoving the whole baroclinic zone further east for the 9-11th storm to then work with...

srefs, rsm, and eta continue to inch closer to the coast. The amplification of the trough is screaming for something to try to come up the coast, the question will be will the surface reflection on the front be too far out ahead of the trough to come up the coast.

These setups are tricky as the exact position of the trough and baroclinic zone are major determinants of where the LP develops. However I do agree this period warrants attention, and based purely off the 12z GFS H5 depiction, a SECS is possible. Based on the H5 depiction of the GFS one would have expected a better outcome. It appears as if the GFS is having difficulty determining and sorting out the interaction between the two shortwaves. For some reason it wants to emphasize the primary which cuts into the OV and keep it as the main center of attention before transferring too late to a secondary coastal. The primary gets hung up in the OV with confluence overtop, at this point one would expect with a deep trough and lots of energy in the base, a phase or transfer of energy to occur. The GFS is just a bit late, but with the trough being negative one could easily make the argument a better solution is forthcoming in future runs. Will see how the interaction is handled later. As for the following threat, if the GFS depiction at H5 is correct, I don't think you need to worry about an interior system. Temporary blocking and a nice polar vortex in my opinion would limit the systems progression to the interior with the strong confluence.

The storm cutting to our west transfering to the costal will give us a southerly wind....we will have bl issues no doubt......its not just the euro bias

Precip rates look intense and its a bombing low. The way 850's crash, it likely snows. Sticking is another thing, but beggers can't be chosers.

Archived