joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 7-8 Potential Storm

jconsor

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just seems to me that everyone is overlooking this and looking to the end of the week potential (although I'm looking at that one as well) :)

now that the EC has followed the GFS with a suppressed solution it definitely has some credence...the first one has more potential i believe...not that either is looking great right now (or will would wind up being a big ticket event either).

The end of the week storm is our potential big ticket item, plus it occurs in a time period well known for big snowstorms.

dont like the set up- its a very progressive pattern...there is no big ticket item in this type of pattern (unless you get lucky to be under a 4" an hr type band for 3 hours- like we were)...otherwise hope for a 4-8" type event and be happy

dont like the set up- its a very progressive pattern...there is no big ticket item in this type of pattern (unless you get lucky to be under a 4" an hr type band for 3 hours- like we were)...otherwise hope for a 4-8" type event and be happy

That would be a lot better than the last two storms (including the one we're "in" right now.) Anything but a cutter would be welcome.

now that the EC has followed the GFS with a suppressed solution it definitely has some credence...the first one has more potential i believe...not that either is looking great right now (or will would wind up being a big ticket event either).

?? The euro is actually a tick northwest of it's 0z run and has in no way followed the GFS.

I never said anything would happen. End of the week is "big ticket" since EURO and GFS showed a BECS at one time.....that is all

EDIT - LOL........didn't realize he was talking about the wrong event

hummm, the GFs has been suppressed with the feb 10th event the entire time, hasnt it? 2 runs ago the EC had a 982 bomb off the coast....stop looking at one run...the euro has now being suppressed two runs in a row....the gfs has been suppressed consistently...hence it went towards the suppressed solution..

either way, its a bad set up....and its not a very exciting situation, unless you are grasping at straws...

well the 12z euro drops upwards of 0.50" of qpf toward NYC...and there is a lot more just to our south and west. 1" qpf into DC and HECS type amounts for SEVA.

Let me ask you something, let's say the GFS right now was showing a hit for NYC and the Euro had the low being a coastal hugger...which solution would you give more credence to given the time frame we're in?

mods, i realize this is the wrong thread. please feel free to move this bantering into the correct thread.

Looks like the upper level energy provides support for wet snow even though the coastal is still ots. NAM too unreliable in this range to put any stock in it either way.

Yea, need to wait a little longer before I can put much faith in the NAM. FWIW, 18Z 850's plenty cold enough, but possible BL issues

EDIT - (Yea.....what earthlight said....lol)

925mb temperatures are above freezing through 69 hours...no dice. Not going to cut it with that setup..primary 925mb low is into Toronto before it reforms off the coast.

Yip no ignoring the 925 and surface temps. The only hope would be to get an organized deform band which could cool the column. Its a stretch, but has happened in the past. I believe its a night time event too. Which helps.

18z GFS continues the west trend and increases precip.

I know we're not supposed to talk about the other storm in here, but I have to say that next week is becoming reminiscent of Feb 1994; 2 possible storms after a thaw, both slowly trending north on the models.

0z nam looks way different than previous runs, no or little ohio low and 925's are cold, just under .1 with low 500 miles off ack.

This is going to be the more significant event for next week. Monday evening starts as rain in nyc metro and changes to moderate snow after midnight as the coastal forms and intensifies with accumulations - stay tuned...................

This is going to be the more significant event for next week. Monday evening starts as rain in nyc metro and changes to moderate snow after midnight as the coastal forms and intensifies with accumulations - stay tuned...................

I guess you dont think the following event will be of much significance then.

Agreed, and told co-workers Monday night Tuesday could be a sleeper storm, meaning poorly modelled snow event.

The event could be another late surprise for people down in S NJ possibly as the event about a month back was where they saw 3-6 and the Cape did well too but everyone in between was missed....its sort of the same thing where the vort could kick off snows down south but then the coastal will take over and everything will go east for people farther north.

Archived